VW's "Group" Gearbox.

ER-3682

Just wonder Porsche's PDK,Audi's S-Tronic & VW's DSG,are they almost the same gearbox,but with Different names & tuning.?All are Dual Clutch Gearbox.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Just wonder Porsche's PDK,Audi's S-Tronic & VW's DSG,are they almost the same gearbox,but with Different names & tuning.?All are Dual Clutch Gearbox.

All three are dual-clutch gearboxes, but DCTs are a type of transmission and the designs vary - saying they are all the same would be over-generalizing, as if saying Nissan's XTronic CVT & Subaru's Lineartronic are the same.

For starters, Porsche's PDK is, at least from what I can find, a design that they worked on with and manufactured by ZF, going up to 8-speeds. There is definitely some transmission sharing going on around though, as the PDK used in for the Macan is apparently derived from Audi's "DL501".

Volkswagen's DSG branded transmissions are mostly from BorgWarner, with the most infamous being a seven-speed dry clutch design, known for repeatedly failing due to mechatronic unit corrosion. There are also six-speed wet-clutch units marketed as DSG.

Audi's S-Tronic branding is used on a number of dual-clutch transmission units as well, for example the newer cars built on VW group's MQB, specifically the Audi A3 for example, use the same 7-speed dry dual-clutch transmission as the aforementioned 7-speed DSG.

However since Audi manufactures a wider range of cars with longitudinally mounted engines, the transmissions must be designed to match the longitudinal configuration and as such not all the Audi transmissions are identical to those used by Volkswagen as DSG.

Basically the tricky bit is to try to figure out which transmissions are unique to each of the group's brands and which are shared... probably easiest way is to see which platform the model is using

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 14

Turbocharged

Very the chim.

long story short...

some are "almost the same" and shared between brands... but not all

• Praise 2

Noice  [thumbsup] I didn't know PDK was made by ZF, I would say they are probably the best GB makers in the industry if not one of the best.

All three are dual-clutch gearboxes, but DCTs are a type of transmission and the designs vary - saying they are all the same would be over-generalizing, as if saying Nissan's XTronic CVT & Subaru's Lineartronic are the same.

For starters, Porsche's PDK is, at least from what I can find, a design that they worked on with and manufactured by ZF, going up to 8-speeds. There is definitely some transmission sharing going on around though, as the PDK used in for the Macan is apparently derived from Audi's "DL501".

Volkswagen's DSG branded transmissions are mostly from BorgWarner, with the most infamous being a seven-speed dry clutch design, known for repeatedly failing due to mechatronic unit corrosion. There are also six-speed wet-clutch units marketed as DSG.

Audi's S-Tronic branding is used on a number of dual-clutch transmission units as well, for example the newer cars built on VW group's MQB, specifically the Audi A3 for example, use the same 7-speed dry dual-clutch transmission as the aforementioned 7-speed DSG.

However since Audi manufactures a wider range of cars with longitudinally mounted engines, the transmissions must be designed to match the longitudinal configuration and as such not all the Audi transmissions are identical to those used by Volkswagen as DSG.

Basically the tricky bit is to try to figure out which transmissions are unique to each of the group's brands and which are shared... probably easiest way is to see which platform the model is using

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Just wonder,Porsche PDK & Audi S-Tronic,any known problems,on daily driving.?

I think they are similar feeling to DSG... but have heard some complaints related to S-Tronic... and general worry about MU failure like with DSG. Seems their multitronic is also not seen as very reliable

Noice  [thumbsup] I didn't know PDK was made by ZF, I would say they are probably the best GB makers in the industry if not one of the best.

I think the 8-speed ZF-manufactured PDKs are probably used in the sportscar models. I didn't look too far into it... not interested in buying a 911 anytime soon [smash]

Just wonder,Porsche PDK & Audi S-Tronic,any known problems,on daily driving.?

Problem & daily driving don't go hand in hand...got problem can't drive lor.

DCT (coupled with a low-end torque turbo engine) damn nice to drive.  What more say?

My car uses the regular automatic 8 speed ZF gearbox and I have to say the gear changes are super smooth and quick and so far reviews indicate its quite reliable, I think for that I think quite highly on them haha

I want a 911 but I can only afford one on my desk lol.

I think they are similar feeling to DSG... but have heard some complaints related to S-Tronic... and general worry about MU failure like with DSG. Seems their multitronic is also not seen as very reliable

I think the 8-speed ZF-manufactured PDKs are probably used in the sportscar models. I didn't look too far into it... not interested in buying a 911 anytime soon [smash]

Turbocharged

My car uses the regular automatic 8 speed ZF gearbox and I have to say the gear changes are super smooth and quick and so far reviews indicate its quite reliable, I think for that I think quite highly on them haha

I want a 911 but I can only afford one on my desk lol.

Thought BMWs' ZF 8-speed is a conventional automatic? I was aware some of the BMWs are using DCT, but up to now I was always under the impression the 8-speed gearbox that's been praised lately wasn't using dual-clutches... [confused]

Haha no you're right, only the BMW M cars are using Dual Clutch, (except M135 & M235)

I'm referring to the conventional ZF 8 speed, but what I meant was as a company seeing how good they made the conventional GB I reckon their dual clutch would be superb.

Thought BMWs' ZF 8-speed is a conventional automatic? I was aware some of the BMWs are using DCT, but up to now I was always under the impression the 8-speed gearbox that's been praised lately wasn't using dual-clutches... [confused]

• Praise 1

Haha no you're right, only the BMW M cars are using Dual Clutch, (except M135 & M235)

I'm referring to the conventional ZF 8 speed, but what I meant was as a company seeing how good they made the conventional GB I reckon their dual clutch would be superb.

I love Nissan GTR but I really can't stand Nissan Sunny. [laugh]

• Praise 1