Would you trace your father's childhood days?

Philipkee

Some of our grand children will trace our roots to mcf here. And they will tell what kind of personality you are. Tiko or car fanatic.

got to tell our mods don't delete posts and keep them searchable for at least 100 years.

then even my grandchildren can see what their ah gong used to say  :XD:

• Praise 6

(edited)

Some photos from the national archives of the army boys trade school. This was in the 1950s though.

One is in pulau tekong one is new soon barracks.

post-57859-0-41237800-1448934203.jpg

post-57859-0-05624000-1448934216.jpg

Edited by Philipkee

Some of his old certificates. I have heard that these certificates are rarely seen because of the political situation in sSingapore, they were not recognised post independence.

I have contacted the national archives with regards to these documents. As time goes by, I will update this thread as I continue with my research on army boys trade school and know what was it like then.

Along the way, I admit that I also want to give some publicity to the veterans from this school. They are not well known but they have fought for Singapore and some of them are still around here.

I believe that all of us know of Singapore volunteer corp and SAF but not this.

post-57859-0-73678800-1448947555_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-17349800-1448947604_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-92224900-1448947637_thumb.jpg

post-57859-0-41501800-1448947664_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

The past few days have been interesting.

I have given copies of documents of the army boys trade school to national archives. Perhaps one days you will read it in the museum or something.

I have also gotten in touch with a British military Facebook group dedicatedto rremembering soldiers who have died, whether it be in combat or not. Well, it is a closed group but I got myself inside.

I wrote to cyberpioneer magazine if they are interested in knowing more aboutarmy bboys trade school but perhaps not surprisingly, no interest shown.

The only thing remaining is whether I should meet up with the group. I don't know them and they don'tknow me. IT might be interesting to just turn up, identify myself and see what happens.

post-57859-0-55353700-1449149259_thumb.png

So I have actually gone and done it. Met my father's friends when he was in the army.

It was a tense morning initially because I did not know them and vice versa and I was just to look for some elderly gentlemen who will come roughly at a certain time to this coffee shop. It was an interesting time for me as I learned things I never knew.

The men joined the British army in their youth and have served Singapore in their own way. So far, the ggovernment has not officially recognised their contribution. The people joined the British army for ttheir own personal reasons.

What is important is not why they did what they did but rather that they did what they did.

I have found what I was looking for. I will end with two quotations which I will loosely quote from BALEP website with a final question.

An old soldier never dies. He just fades away, just as the memories of these soldiers will fade away slowly with each celestial marching call.

My final question.

Would you trace your father's childhood days? I would. I just did. Would you do the same?

post-57859-0-98968000-1449386867_thumb.jpg

Nice journey to the past. I am curious what type of girls my father liked. Actually curious about many of my relatives too, but more of the personal side than military involvements.

• Praise 2

lol...brings to mind the father here where his son use acct

so we alwes ask

'you father or son' haaaaaaaaaaa

Cerano?

He spoke like he knew me,but i really do not know anyone here.

yah yah................lets see if we can get the father and son here...............calling calling...........calling @cerano.................. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Heard someone paging me

lol...brings to mind the father here where his son use acct

so we alwes ask

'you father or son' haaaaaaaaaaa

U all always ka chiao me one la.... Haha

Lau peh here

Cerano?

He spoke like he knew me,but i really do not know anyone here.

Dont recall leh...

My maternal grandpa was from a place in Punjab called Tarn Taran. He joined the Royal Air Force and got stationed in Thailand where he met my grandma. After WWII they got stationed in Singapore where they started a family. When the Brits pulled out they decided to stay in Singapore instead of taking the option to move to England and grandpa joined the Public Works Department.

Unfortunately grandma died when mom was very young and grandpa died when I was a baby, so I not have memories of them. What I do have is grandpa's old coin/note collection sitting at my parents' place. This thread has reminded me that I should go pick up it, sort through it and maybe even get some proper storage for it.

Heard someone paging me

U all always ka chiao me one la.... Haha

Lau peh here

Dont recall leh...

how's things man bro???!!!!.............everything good???............. [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 1

how's things man bro???!!!!.............everything good???............. [thumbsup]  [laugh]  [laugh]

busy busy lor... now market bad leh

how are you? i dont really visit here much liao mah 

got to tell our mods don't delete posts and keep them searchable for at least 100 years.

then even my grandchildren can see what their ah gong used to say :XD:

To loosely quote Winston Churchill

"So that even if Solar, Radx (name your forummer) were to live another hundred years, his descendants will look back at his MCF posts and say,'surely, his MCF days were his happiest ones.' "

Haha

(edited)

Old post.

Ex-PAP candidate writes FB post on S'pore man with Victoria Cross medal, turns out it's less than true - Mothership.SG - News from Singapore, Asia and around the world

I remember this post and I remember feeling a bit weird about it cos I remembered stories from my dad.  Anyway, I did write to MINDEF that they should honour these former soldiers for their service to singapore even though they were not in the Singapore Armed Forces.  Their reply was non commital.  

I was doing some clearing in my house when I cam across this so thought I would like to share it here, though not start a new thread just for this.

20210729_181108.jpg

20210729_181115.jpg

Edited by Philipkee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1