MCF kaki UBERers/GRABCARers

RadX

When i gave 3 star review to a new driver who is not familiar with Singapore, i was told in MCF that i am mean.  But isn't that part of review?

Some drivers are not even bothered by it, but at least if he gets too many 3 stars Uber / Grabcar will suspend / ban him from driving.

Edited by Carnoob
↡ Advertisement

I took UberExec twice with the same driver.  It was really good experience since the driver is also private limo driver.

I have my share of good & bad uber drivers.

When i gave 3 star review to a new driver who is not familiar with Singapore, i was told in MCF that i am mean.  But isn't that part of review?

So far, I've given almost everyone a 5 except for some idiot who had 3 close calls in one journey.

Gave him 1 star!

Hahaa, this I oso can't answer maybe even a Ferrari will show up... they had a promo during F1 season...

Ya, muz ask Grabtaxi liao but normally it should not happen. Or maybe the driver registered as Grabcar but decides to use his Volvo but never change to Grabcar+... Oh yah, this I forgot to mention, driver muz select in the apps on which service he is providing, Grabcar or Grabcar+ if he had registered for both...

Newbie q. Assuming, it's error of d driver, if we select grabtaxi but a grabcar turn up, can we reject it without any penalty?

Some drivers are not even bothered by it, but at least if he gets too many 3 stars Uber / Grabcar will suspend / ban him from driving.

Does the uber driver also rate the passenger?

• Praise 1

Can I book uber or grab in advance?

Wanna try a first trip to airport using my name and the return trip using my wife.

If can book in advance, I will do it now for a trip in January. I hope it is cheaper than taxi esp as I will reach Singapore about mid nite.

Newbie q. Assuming, it's error of d driver, if we select grabtaxi but a grabcar turn up, can we reject it without any penalty?

There should not be an error. I knew of drivers who registered for Grabcar (Economy) using MPV, they choose themselves so they should not be using Grabcar (Premium) to charge customers.

But for Grabtaxi and Grabcar (Economy), they are linked... The closest vehicle will get the job, e.g. I choose Grabtaxi but the nearest to my location is a Grabcar (Economy) so the private car will get the job instead of a taxi and vice versa. It is supposed to be an enhancement for the apps so customers will have the shortest waiting time.

There should not be an error. I knew of drivers who registered for Grabcar (Economy) using MPV, they choose themselves so they should not be using Grabcar (Premium) to charge customers.

But for Grabtaxi and Grabcar (Economy), they are linked... The closest vehicle will get the job, e.g. I choose Grabtaxi but the nearest to my location is a Grabcar (Economy) so the private car will get the job instead of a taxi and vice versa. It is supposed to be an enhancement for the apps so customers will have the shortest waiting time.

Thanks for explanation. Think got to try d grab service one of these days. Nvr try, nvr know.

• Praise 1

Thanks for explanation. Think got to try d grab service one of these days. Nvr try, nvr know.

True, we should be open to new apps and new ideas no matter how crappy they can be in the beginning... and I like your spirit, nv try nv know  [thumbsup].

• Praise 1

Heard there are dealers who are buying used cars at fair prices for Uber usage. Not the 8-9yr old cars but even 5-6year old ones. Not sure how they going to cover their costs but I guess if $11k to $12k depreciation a year would mean $1k+ per mth which they can cover thru their rentals easily I guess.

• Praise 5

GrabTaxi's edge lies in real-time data analytics

http://www.straitstimes.com/tech/grabtaxis-edge-lies-in-real-time-data-analytics?xtor=CS3-20

Commuters used to the speedy services of GrabTaxi's ride-booking app have data analytics tools to thank for enabling their new-found convenience.

GrabTaxi, which broke into the Singapore market in October 2013, handles up to 1.5 million bookings daily across 28 South-east Asian cities including Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Manila.

"The new capabilities offered by real-time data analytics tools are part of a suite of solutions that we use to run the business," said GrabTaxi's vice-president of engineering, Mr Arul Kumaravel. The firm recently implemented a real-time data analytics system to better match commuter demand with driver supply. Its technology is supplied by United States-based Amazon Web Service.

Using a technique called geohash, the system divides Singapore into grids of 1,200 x 600m. For each grid, the system analyses the ratio of commuters to drivers, and displays in real time whether demand is outstripping supply in the form of a heatmap.

A NEW CULTURE

It's a slow journey changing the behaviour of drivers. Not every driver will respond when we ask them to go to the hot spots.

MR ARUL KUMARAVEL, GrabTaxi's vice-president of engineering, on drivers' response rate to the firm's alerts

Red indicates a shortage of drivers while green means there are enough drivers.

When red spots show up on the grid, notifications are automatically sent to drivers' mobile phones via the GrabTaxi app to alert them to head to the hot spots.

When drivers are in severe shortage, especially during a heavy downpour, GrabTaxi will even send SMS messages to part-time car drivers to activate them.

"It's a slow journey changing the behaviour of drivers. Not every driver will respond when we ask them to go to the hot spots," said Mr Kumaravel. "But if they get a job immediately, they will be more responsive in the future," said the 42-year-old, who leads 100 developers and engineers at GrabTaxi's research and development centre in Cecil Street.

Since it started using this data analytics system four months ago, GrabTaxi has improved the number of successful passenger-driver matches by 30 per cent.

Passengers' search terms and their pickup and drop-off locations are also remembered by the app, saving passengers the hassle of entering an address. GrabTaxi said that 80 per cent of the pickups are from the same locations.

Data analytics also led to the company's new carpooling service, dubbed GrabHitch, announced last month. The service is currently in beta testing but will be rolled out next month.

GrabTaxi's data shows that over 20,000 cars enter the Central Business District each morning, with most of them carrying only one passenger. Said Mr Kumaravel: "Instead of having four different rides, can we combine them into one?"

GrabTaxi will also launch a new Go Home feature on its app to allow drivers to find passengers who are heading in the direction of the drivers' homes. "This will benefit our driver community, allowing them to take a last booking as they complete their shift," he said.

• Praise 3

UberX & Grab car got minimum travel distance/hour per day like taxi or not?

(Wish to subsidize my car cost but not to extend earn for living as having regular job)

Can I join both [lipsrsealed] ?

Twincharged

UberX & Grab car got minimum travel distance/hour per day like taxi or not?

(Wish to subsidize my car cost but not to extend earn for living as having regular job)

Can I join both [lipsrsealed] ?

I don't think they have any minimum hours requirement. And you can drive for both at the same time. Many taxi drivers do that also. They have multiple apps running at the same time. If got passenger already then just don't accept the jobs from the other apps.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2