Android Auto and Apple CarPlay

elmoguy

This is the official requirement for AA Wireless:

1. A car or aftermarket receiver that is compatible with Android Auto Wireless.
  2. A Pixel or Nexus phone with Android 8.0 ("Oreo") or higher as follows:
    • Pixel or Pixel XL
    • Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL
    • Nexus 5X or 6P
  3. The Android Auto app version 3.1 and up.
  4. A high-quality USB cable for initial setup.

Unofficially, it is said for the rest of the phones, only Android 9.0 will support but there are users who still cannot get it to work.

Just to clarify, if you want AA wireless then you need Android 8 or higher.  But if you want to use a USB cable then you can use Android lower than 8.  I think my phone is Android 5 and I can use it with a USB cable.

↡ Advertisement

Just to clarify, if you want AA wireless then you need Android 8 or higher.  But if you want to use a USB cable then you can use Android lower than 8.  I think my phone is Android 5 and I can use it with a USB cable.

Yup that is correct. I did mention the above is for AA Wireless.

The Android Pie 9.0 is non-official requirement for Wireless, just others speculating it may come to those unsupported phones when they get it. So better don't assume it as confirmed for others looking to get wireless to work to save your frustration.

Also the announcement post mentioned "North America" for now.

Will need those with at least the supported phones and head units to confirm if North America is also a requirement.

Edited by Carz73
  • Praise 1

On the topic of AA Wireless, it's not all rosy. Users have reported there is a slight lag, difficulties in getting connection as well pull-down notification showing AA app continue looking for a connection after leaving the car for hours.

Also I wonder if wireless charger can keep up with the drain when using AA. Though my iOttie and Esoqi Wireless fast charge show about 900mA fast charge using Ampere app for my S9+, I'm not sure if it is just the peak or how it will be with actual usage as I don't have a wireless head unit even if I want to try. But if it can support consistent fast charge at this amperage while using AA, I suppose it will be as good as my Kenwood which supports fast charge at 1.5A while using AA through USB that keeps my batt at 100% i.e. actual net charge is about 900mA after taking into account the drain while in use.

Since the phone still needs charging, wireless charging may not be as good and wireless have a slight lag, I've been thinking of using a magnetic cable that can support fast charge for the closet inconvenience to AA Wireless without the disadvantages.

Has anyone try one yet with AA?

Exactly the manual says so and that's why I spent some time trying.

Anyways, I just tried with the "official" App but still wireless does not connect.  While trying to connect, AA on my phone launched but on the 9150, it says connection failed.  May be Pioneer needs to release a firmware fix.

Anyways, AA wireless or not is a not a priority for me now.

I've not heard directly from any one who got AA Wireless to work in Singapore.  Any who does please post with your HU and phone model.

@Reo,

Wow Pioneer pulled out all references to Android Auto Wireless???!!! I clearly remember seeing it listed as one of the features other than inside the manual which still has it.

Edited by Reo

@Reo

I don't know at this point if AA wireless is supported by your phone and Android version, head unit or AA app in our region. But you should at least confirm wired AA is working because I read initial AA wireless setup still requires USB. So if you cannot even get AA to work with USB in the normal way, then there is no chance wireless will work even if supported. Not getting AA to work with USB could be due to a number of reasons or combination i.e cable compatibility (more on this if needed), phone and android version, head unit firmware, settings.

I'm not familiar with AA wireless but since you mention AA opened up on your phone instead (I assume is not the swipe to unlock screen when AA is running on head unit), it might be due to the setting "Auto-launch" which is meant for using AA on the phone screen. This causes AA to launch on your phone once it connects to your head unit BT. This setting can cause problem with using AA on the head unit. For wired AA, it is also not necessary to turn on "Use BT" as USB connection will start AA on head unit which in turn will turn on BT on phone anyway because BT is required for call use. Again this setting can also cause issue with some combo of phones and head units. Not many realise these 2 settings are for using AA on phone screen even though is under "Phone screen settings". I don't think AA wireless requires "Use BT" to be enabled too even though BT is required to be manually on during initial setup from what I read for some head units. Some combo even have issues with wired AA if BT was manually paired (yes manual pairing is not needed, at least for wired AA) or manually turned on. If any steps were messed up or skipped, reinstalling the app itself will not work. You'll need to go into AA settings, forget all cars (because this setting will remain even if you uninstall), remove all BT pairing on phone and head unit or even reset the head unit (because manual pairing is not needed and may cause problems) before trying again.

I really appreciate your will to help out.

Wired has been working day 1 no problem. It’s wireless that makes sense, and especially 9150 supposedly comes with the functionality.

@Reo

I don't know at this point if AA wireless is supported by your phone and Android version, head unit or AA app in our region. But you should at least confirm wired AA is working because I read initial AA wireless setup still requires USB. So if you cannot even get AA to work with USB in the normal way, then there is no chance wireless will work even if supported. Not getting AA to work with USB could be due to a number of reasons or combination i.e cable compatibility (more on this if needed), phone and android version, head unit firmware, settings.

I'm not familiar with AA wireless but since you mention AA opened up on your phone instead (I assume is not the swipe to unlock screen when AA is running on head unit), it might be due to the setting "Auto-launch" which is meant for using AA on the phone screen. This causes AA to launch on your phone once it connects to your head unit BT. This setting can cause problem with using AA on the head unit. For wired AA, it is also not necessary to turn on "Use BT" as USB connection will start AA on head unit which in turn will turn on BT on phone anyway because BT is required for call use. Again this setting can also cause issue with some combo of phones and head units. Not many realise these 2 settings are for using AA on phone screen even though is under "Phone screen settings". I don't think AA wireless requires "Use BT" to be enabled too even though BT is required to be manually on during initial setup from what I read for some head units. Some combo even have issues with wired AA if BT was manually paired (yes manual pairing is not needed, at least for wired AA) or manually turned on. If any steps were messed up or skipped, reinstalling the app itself will not work. You'll need to go into AA settings, forget all cars (because this setting will remain even if you uninstall), remove all BT pairing on phone and head unit or even reset the head unit (because manual pairing is not needed and may cause problems) before trying again.

Play Store today prompted to install AA when I plugged in the USB even though already installed the same latest version via apk. Cannot be installed over so got to perform a clean up and fresh install.

I removed the APK before installing the "official" AA.

I wonder why you don't.  I don't see there is much personalisation to worry about.

Play Store today prompted to install AA when I plugged in the USB even though already installed the same latest version via apk. Cannot be installed over so got to perform a clean up and fresh install.

I wonder why you don't.  I don't see there is much personalisation to worry about.

I had so much of a problem installing the APK that I am loathe to uninstall it to reinstall the 'official AA'

I wasn't prompted it was needed until yesterday, not even when checking Play Store for manual updates that I usually do for all apps. Usually apk installed manually will still be prompted for update from Play Store so this must have been a new requirement pushed from Play Services. The force "update" came only after I plugged in yesterday and was already out of the carpark so when it could not install over the same version, I immediately knew it needed a clean install.

Yes not much personalisation. Not an issue for me to reinstall. Just letting others know as I've seen and helped a lot of cases in the official AA community.

I had so much of a problem installing the APK that I am loathe to uninstall it to reinstall the 'official AA'

Depending on phones and hu combo, some will run into issues just by uninstalling and reinstalling so it is better to forget all cars in AA settings, remove hu bt pairing on phone (some may even need to remove bt pairing from hu, reboot and reset hu), before uninstalling and (best to reboot first) reinstalling. Open AA on phone first without plugging in to disable "Auto-launch" and "Use Bluetooth" as it's for using AA on phone screen and could cause issues with some combos. Also remember manual bt pairing is not needed and will cause more harm than good so in order to avoid that after removing pairing, turn off bt before connecting usb to hu the first time. Then, make sure to follow prompts on both screens, accept and agree to everything and all permissions and notification access.

Any bros able to use AA on offline Google maps? I saved a few locations on the offline map but there were none when I tried accessing the saved places on the HU? TIA.

I don't use Google Maps much as I use Waze almost exclusively. However, I've tried offline map once many months ago by simulating no data (turning data off) midway will navigating and Google Maps was able to continue navigating. Voice prompts were replaced by "ding" sound. Obviously, no traffic updates either. Just now I tried again and was able to access my saved places from Google Maps in offline mode on AA head unit. I couldn't believe it as firstly when I tried offline on AA phone screen earlier, there were no saved places, not even access to home/work. Just the search bar. Secondly, in AA community, many had reported no saved places either months back even when online. So I rebooted the phone to confirm and yet still able to access saved places offline in AA. I even tried navigating with it set to KSL and it was working. This time, instead of "ding" sound, I have voice prompts to turn left/right etc. Not sure if it's a temp cache thing and thus cannot be relied upon. I was worried about this and thus opted to get a Digi Live prepaid card with super long validity and option to top up online so that I will continue to have data access and use AA normally once I cross over the causeway. I guess this will be a safer option. By the way, just to be sure, have you downloaded offline maps?

I have the videos to show and will try to post it later.

• Praise 2

I don't use Google Maps much as I use Waze almost exclusively. However, I've tried offline map once many months ago by simulating no data (turning data off) midway will navigating and Google Maps was able to continue navigating. Voice prompts were replaced by "ding" sound. Obviously, no traffic updates either. Just now I tried again and was able to access my saved places from Google Maps in offline mode on AA head unit. I couldn't believe it as firstly when I tried offline on AA phone screen earlier, there were no saved places, not even access to home/work. Just the search bar. Secondly, in AA community, many had reported no saved places either months back even when online. So I rebooted the phone to confirm and yet still able to access saved places offline in AA. I even tried navigating with it set to KSL and it was working. This time, instead of "ding" sound, I have voice prompts to turn left/right etc. Not sure if it's a temp cache thing and thus cannot be relied upon. I was worried about this and thus opted to get a Digi Live prepaid card with super long validity and option to top up online so that I will continue to have data access and use AA normally once I cross over the causeway. I guess this will be a safer option. By the way, just to be sure, have you downloaded offline maps?

I have the videos to show and will try to post it later.

Good for you...there is hope yet.
  • Praise 1

Seems that even with Google Map offline on AA phone screen still can see the saved places among what seems to be recent list. I can even search for it as well as places I've never searched before. Not sure if I didn't test thoroughly or what but the list was empty when I tested earlier. Honestly I'm not very familiar with Google Maps thus if there are any changes or bugs I would be none the wiser which. Attached are the screenshots for saved places category that can still be seen in offline mode on AA head unit. The video is too huge and even after cutting was prompted not allowed to upload this kind of file.

Thank you,
↡ Advertisement