Singapore tourist causes fatal crash in New Zealand

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

A Singaporean man has been charged with dangerous driving over a four-car accident in New Zealand that killed a motorcyclist.

Lew Wei Kiong, 29, had been due in the Dunedin District Court on Tuesday (Dec 8) to face a count of dangerous driving causing death.

Three new charges of dangerous driving causing injury were also due to be brought against him, reported the Otago Daily Times, but the case has been adjourned to Dec 22.

Lew, who works at the Energy Market Authority (EMA), was involved in the accident along the state highway in North Otago, about 20km south of Oamaru, on Nov 29.

EMA confirmed to Shin Min Daily News that Lew was an employee and that it was extending aid to two employees in New Zealand.

According to stuff.co.nz, Lew was driving a rented Toyota and had allegedly crossed the double yellow lines on the highway to overtake a group of cars.

He crashed into two cars and a motorcycle travelling in the opposite direction.

The passenger in the Toyota, who is also believed to be Singaporean, had to be cut from the car and was flown to Dunedin Public Hospital with serious injuries.

Five others suffered injuries, while the motorcyclist, 39-year-old Craig Alan Chambers, died at the scene.

New Zealand police had blamed the car crash on driver "inattention".

The accident also reportedly reignited a debate over tourist drivers and the condition of roads in New Zealand, with Labour Party MP Damien O'Connor suggesting that poor road design could have led to the crash.

He said that certain roads on the country's south island could be confusing for foreign drivers and clearer signage was needed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/singapore-tourist-charged-with-dangerous-driving-after-fatal-crash-in-new-zealand?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#xtor=CS1-10

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Another local bad driving attitute/habits brought over to NZ .....   :slow:

Double 'Yellow' lines in SG mean no parking 24hrs but in other countries, they could be used for lane markings. This is especially so for those countries that have snow during winter where 'white' road lines cannot easily be seen .

Furthermore, overtaking a group of vehicles is a no no if you are not a native of that country cos never know the road condition and what lies ahead. :wut:

Edited by Picnic06
  • Praise 11

those people never drive on trunk road should never overtake and stick to the lane, dun overestimate the car and your skill   [shakehead]

• Praise 8

I say, foreigners accident in Singapore I will see ppl immediately comment AMTK... Now I say this SGTK... we think too highly of ourselves...

In Singapore it may be your grandfather's road but please be more humble when driving overseas... RIP to the biker

Edited by Carnoob
  • Praise 24

A Singaporean man has been charged with dangerous driving over a four-car accident in New Zealand that killed a motorcyclist.

Lew Wei Kiong, 29, had been due in the Dunedin District Court on Tuesday (Dec 8) to face a count of dangerous driving causing death.

Three new charges of dangerous driving causing injury were also due to be brought against him, reported the Otago Daily Times, but the case has been adjourned to Dec 22.

Lew, who works at the Energy Market Authority (EMA), was involved in the accident along the state highway in North Otago, about 20km south of Oamaru, on Nov 29.

EMA confirmed to Shin Min Daily News that Lew was an employee and that it was extending aid to two employees in New Zealand.

According to stuff.co.nz, Lew was driving a rented Toyota and had allegedly crossed the double yellow lines on the highway to overtake a group of cars.

He crashed into two cars and a motorcycle travelling in the opposite direction.

The passenger in the Toyota, who is also believed to be Singaporean, had to be cut from the car and was flown to Dunedin Public Hospital with serious injuries.

Five others suffered injuries, while the motorcyclist, 39-year-old Craig Alan Chambers, died at the scene.

New Zealand police had blamed the car crash on driver "inattention".

The accident also reportedly reignited a debate over tourist drivers and the condition of roads in New Zealand, with Labour Party MP Damien O'Connor suggesting that poor road design could have led to the crash.

He said that certain roads on the country's south island could be confusing for foreign drivers and clearer signage was needed.

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/singapore-tourist-charged-with-dangerous-driving-after-fatal-crash-in-new-zealand?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#xtor=CS1-10

on 2 directions traffic road, overtaking is a very challenge skill,  if misestimated opposite vehicle's speed and distance, this kind accident always fetal

car performance too good, also is bad, driver easy to be over-confident,  

• Praise 4

When I drive in a foreign land, the last thing I would think to do was to overtake vehicles in front of me. Best to play safe.

To overtake one vehicle already difficult. Want to overtake a group of vehicles? That's suicidal and sadly it was someone else who paid with his life.

• Praise 9

Double 'Yellow' lines in SG mean no parking 24hrs but in other countries, they could be used for lane markings. This is especially so for those countries that have snow during winter where 'white' road lines cannot easily be seen .

Furthermore, overtaking a group of vehicles is a no no if you are not a native of that country cos never know the road condition and what lies ahead. :wut:

+1

Really poor choice of judgement by the driver. Unfamiliar road, unfamiliar car, unfamiliar rules... still want to overtake like a hooligan.

Double yellow by the kerb may mean no parking for us... but surely, there's plenty of roads without central median and with double white lines painted... meaning no overtaking whatsoever... don't even touch the wheels with it.

These are lines normally painted on bends. And from the pic above, I see the double yellow lines are also on a bend.

Some common sense could have saved a life.

Edited by ins1dious
  • Praise 6

seems like only to fault the driver. death involved plus serious injuries to own pple. long road ahead.

crash1.jpg?itok=KLEONKz7

double yellow + bend,

NZL vehicles so few on road, sometimes driving few minutes cannot meet one car, don't understand why the driver so rush [shakehead]

double yellow + bend,

NZL vehicles so few on road, sometimes driving few minutes cannot meet one car, don't understand why the driver so rush [shakehead]

29 year old, young, hot blood. if got hot babes in car, blood pressure even higher :mellow:

• Praise 1

Nowadays younger Singaporean drivers are very impatience and arrogant and still bring this bad habit to oversea and some more killed people but himself never die.

• Praise 12

post-18163-0-18301800-1449625721_thumb.jpg

A pic is better dan a thousand words.

The on-coming direction is divided by double yellow line instead of a continuous white line or a concrete divider. The 2 lanes and 1 lane combo makes it all the more confusing. Singaporean drivers tend to go for the right most lane to overtake on the highway. Along the bend creates more blind spots. I think he tried to overtake w/o noticing that lane is the on-coming traffic

No wonder their mp made this comment.

I believe it's the weird road design that causes foreign drivers to unconsciously drift to the on-coming traffic lane. I mean it's weird that 2 lanes go one direction while 1 lane goes the other.

More detail description from asiaone....

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/sporean-tourist-facing-4-charges-nz-over-deadly-car-crash

Local media reported that the car driven by Lew crossed the double yellow lines on a state highway when he tried to overtake cars in front of him. He collided into three vehicles from the opposite direction.

I think many ppl jump to the wrong conclusion and blame the driver. But is it totally the driver's fault?

Edited by Watwheels

Singaporeans going to drive in overseas must get familiar with it "Highway Codes".

Double Yellow Lines in the centre of road means "No Overtaking".

• Praise 3

i think many people dun give a hoot or ignorant about DOUBLE WHITE/YELLOW line on the road, you can see cars cut across most of the time in Singapore.

• Praise 5

Curious.

How come EMA has such good service for their employees? He went on a private holiday and got himself into some trouble - how does this involve EMA?

attachicon.gifcrash1.jpg

A pic is better dan a thousand words.

The on-coming direction is divided by double yellow line instead of a continuous white line or a concrete divider. The 2 lanes and 1 lane combo makes it all the more confusing. Singaporean drivers tend to go for the right most lane to overtake on the highway. Along the bend creates more blind spots. I think he tried to overtake w/o noticing that lane is the on-coming traffic

No wonder their mp made this comment.

I believe it's the weird road design that causes foreign drivers to unconsciously drift to the on-coming traffic lane. I mean it's weird that 2 lanes go one direction while 1 lane goes the other.

More detail description from asiaone....

http://news.asiaone.com/news/singapore/sporean-tourist-facing-4-charges-nz-over-deadly-car-crash

I think many ppl jump to the wrong conclusion and blame the driver. But is it totally the driver's fault?

Obviously... When in Rome...

RIP young biker. It's always much too soon and sudden. Sincere condolences to the bereaved family.

Hope the passenger recovers from his serious injuries and get well soon.

Haiz.... Accidents do happen. Usually most can be avoided, on hindsight. IF ONLY the driver did not overtake at that moment.

Safe ride. Chose not to let accidents happen with your actions... Drive defensively. Just u-turn if can't exit in time, those few minutes can extend your life and maybe one other, besides your ride. Once a life is gone, a million regrets also useless.

Everyone needs to go home safely.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3