Should I buy a new car now?

flashbang

Actually he is one of the few motoring journalist whom dared to question policies and write it in simplified form to the masses. I subscribed to Torque and he write some interesting articles.

But as a journalist, he can't be too bias (although he is) but still make a point to have pros and cons listed out for the masses. 

↡ Advertisement

Did not read the article but for sure Now is the best time to buy that car. SPH revenue is dwindling, lesser and lesser people are buy or advertising with them. They also cannot play property because of the poor market condition. SPH may right size after end of this FY. So he better buy that car now. 

• Praise 1

Don't know what he writes?! But whether should buy new car now still depends whether you can afford and willing to pay the coe premium now or not?! There is no right or wrong time to buy car.

• Praise 3

There are three separate questions in this simple question. 

1. Should I buy car? Versus other forms of transport? 

2. Should I buy new car? Versus old.

3. Should I buy now? Versus later.

• Praise 6

Hi all. Yesterday went to a car showroom , my car still left 18 mths . The sales person told me that if I continue to drive for another 6 mths.  I would only able to trade in my car at paper value. May I know is it true or is he trying bluff me to buy a car from him.

• Praise 3

Hi all. Yesterday went to a car showroom , my car still left 18 mths . The sales person told me that if I continue to drive for another 6 mths. I would only able to trade in my car at paper value. May I know is it true or is he trying bluff me to buy a car from him.

He is also correct but not covering all aspects. Nowadays most hap car less than 1 year COE left will have maybe $500-2k above scrap. This is if u push to scrap yard or trade in or sell to dealer.. if u sell yourself, can sell $2-5k above scrap lah.. depends whether u wanna take the path of selling yourself by paying $90 to advertise.
  • Praise 5

Hi all. Yesterday went to a car showroom , my car still left 18 mths . The sales person told me that if I continue to drive for another 6 mths.  I would only able to trade in my car at paper value. May I know is it true or is he trying bluff me to buy a car from him.

Actually hor, what do you expect the sales person to say ?

As he knows very well that once you step out of the showroom, your chances of you buying the car from him is very much reduced.

• Praise 4

He is also correct but not covering all aspects. Nowadays most hap car less than 1 year COE left will have maybe $500-2k above scrap. This is if u push to scrap yard or trade in or sell to dealer.. if u sell yourself, can sell $2-5k above scrap lah.. depends whether u wanna take the path of selling yourself by paying $90 to advertise.

If buy from AD usually can over trade old car to them.

Usually abt 5-10k

• Praise 3

If your car still has eighteen months left to go, I would suggest holding it at least for another six months. You will be able to benefit from the lower COE prices that are coming.

• Praise 3

If your car still has eighteen months left to go, I would suggest holding it at least for another six months. You will be able to benefit from the lower COE prices that are coming.

If car still ok. Then drive till the end.

The savings from the depreciation between the new and old car will probably be more than the delta in selling price

• Praise 1

the article titled a question . . . 

so, does the article answer its question?

it does not require a journalist to come with the options/justifications for the answer .... anyone, you & me also can do that?

i'm sure readers read the article to find out the answer 

instead, readers received another abush with more unanswered alternatives

honestly, I regretted buying new cars.

I hardly clicked the desired mileages nowadays

and selling them will make a hefty loss that I just couldn't swallow it.

my above mistake will lead to my thoughts of renewing COE (sacrificing high Parf) or downgrade on the new ride......

I cannot be like younger days to claim that I can afford it, so why not?

with the incoming increased in tax, rates, dependencies, new/different goals in life, financial rules and jobs/business security!!!

less you have backup or other financial support...... else your affordance today does NOT mean the same tomorrow

of coz..... if not for the above conditions, we wun even bother to think twice on this thread question at all . . . .

with the above reality checks . . .

COE renewal of that desired car really depends how confident and manageable you are to the reliability and its maintenance, besides the 'look' of your 'wife' . . .

cheers

• Praise 3

few years ago, you are correct.

the first owner typically takes the brunt of the depreciation so the subsequent buyers or the resale cars usually have a better deal.

nowadays, if you look at SGcarmart.

you will realise, that the depreciation of 2nd hand cars can be more than new cars! which is f**king ridiculous.

i used to think the same as you, buying 2nd hand is a better deal. after shopping around, i'm pretty much convinced that getting a new car is more worth it nowadays.

the article titled a question . . . 

so, does the article answer its question?

it does not require a journalist to come with the options/justifications for the answer .... anyone, you & me also can do that?

i'm sure readers read the article to find out the answer 

instead, readers received another abush with more unanswered alternatives

honestly, I regretted buying new cars.

I hardly clicked the desired mileages nowadays

and selling them will make a hefty loss that I just couldn't swallow it.

my above mistake will lead to my thoughts of renewing COE (sacrificing high Parf) or downgrade on the new ride......

I cannot be like younger days to claim that I can afford it, so why not?

with the incoming increased in tax, rates, dependencies, new/different goals in life, financial rules and jobs/business security!!!

less you have backup or other financial support...... else your affordance today does NOT mean the same tomorrow

of coz..... if not for the above conditions, we wun even bother to think twice on this thread question at all . . . .

with the above reality checks . . .

COE renewal of that desired car really depends how confident and manageable you are to the reliability and its maintenance, besides the 'look' of your 'wife' . . .

cheers

• Praise 7