Star Wars: The Force Awakens [spoiler alert]

Zxcvb

haha .. the General should make him sign 12-06 for the equipment damage ... [:p]

His ah gong will make sure the general becomes a permanent fixture if ask him sign 12-06.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Besides as what the rest already mentioned before about how easy is Rey being able to harness the "Force".

Also a little disappointed on their casting of Adam Driver as Kylo Ren, the moment he removes his mask, I thought he gonna break into a song cos he looks like the band Magic! lead singer Nasri, haha...

Overall still pretty enjoyable movie.

I wanted to laugh then Kylo removed his mask. Totally don't look like villain sia.. Looks like a younger version of Prof Snape (Harry Potter universe), especially with the hair and what not. And the voice... What the effffff.....

Anyway, I think about now, can start chatting about the movie liao, hardcore fans should have watched it, softcore fans would be watching it, and all the bandwagoners would watch it soon enough, and probably not care about spoilers.....

JJ Abrams chose a safe path in this new instalment. Understandably so, considering his Disney bosses paid $4b for the franchise. This episode is reminiscence of the original trilogy. So much resemblance it felt like a remake of A New Hope to me, except that the characters are changed.... ie instead of Luke, we have Rey... and the old Luke is Yoda. Kylo is just an emotional version of DV.

And about Kylo, he was impressive when he was introduced. He can do what Yoda or DV can't. He can 

- can read people's mind

- stop a laser beam 

And yet, not only did he struggle to shake off Finn, a sanitary cleaner who uses the lightsaber for the first time, he also found no match against a girl who never had any training of the force and is also using the lightsabre for the first time. Yes he was injured by Chew but unless both of legs was sawn off, I find it illogical that he had to struggle like a wimp in the last battle.

How is this route safe? Disney paid $4b for the franchise, and the franchise is what it is because of the fans too! (Especially the hardcore fans... I watched Ep 3 at least 3 times in the cinemas, more than any other films)... Ep 7, probably not going for a second showing, unless my other SW fan friends jio me and we go in and criticise everything.... I think a lot of fans are disappointed, at least those who followed the books on the Expanded Universe / NJO...

Kylo was super imba when he came out, but after the first 10 minutes, he became a whiny brat..

I'm interested in Rey though, if I were to accept she can use the Force on the stormie to get him to do what she wanted, and without any training... And she can fight off Kylo, again, without any lightsaber training, especially when Anakin needed so much training to take on Dooku... Either she's more powerful than Anakin, or Kylo is just a ASK / white horse...

Btw, to the person who junked my previous post, dude, there's a spoiler alert in the title. Wake up your idea. Don't come in if you don't want to read anything related to SW... 

• Praise 7

Outline for Episode 8 ...

The Dark Side (or First Order ... whatever) is in disarray ...

Death Planet got destroyed by 20 X-Wing fighters, huge investment of public funds written off ...

Kylo Ren turns out to be a poor pupil of the Force, picks only on small time opponents ...

Ah Gong sees that things are not right buay loon and rises from the grave ...

[:p]

Seems like they rehashed Kylo Ren from another Disney movie. 

His prior training was in the kitchen. And yes, he had daddy issues then. :D

linguini-photos.jpg

• Praise 2

Well... Although there's plenty of overtures overlapping with Episode 4, having Han Solo as a lead helps in providing some continuity. 

But overall I still like it because of the absence of computer animation characters  ~ just think Trade Federation droids, JarJar, Gundark - always felt that for the prequel (I, II & III), Lucasfilm was more interested in showcasing their CG instead of telling a story.

Anyway, how one gauge this as a success or failure is a no-brainer - would you look forward to catching Episode VIII?

Edited by Icu

Well... Although there's plenty of overtures overlapping with Episode 4, having Han Solo as a lead helps in providing some continuity.

But overall I still like it because of the absence of computer animation characters ~ just think Trade Federation droids, JarJar, Gundark - always felt that for the prequel (I, II & III), Lucasfilm was more interested in showcasing their CG instead of telling a story.

Anyway, how one gauge this as a success or failure is a no-brainer - would you look forward to catching Episode VIII?

Would like to see the emergence of more force wielders, considering Skywalker was training them before Ben Solo / Kylo Ren turned.

Just caught the show and here is my take from a SW fan, not the hardcore type but I know pretty much more than the average folks.

Perhaps its me but when I notice an overwhelming hype for this movie I sort of adjusted my expectations for this movie.

I mean who are we kidding here, the original star wars trilogy is not exactly Oscar material and the actors, brash and unpolished that time weren't exactly good either. Just that it has a epic concept that captured the hearts of many. In fact the only real good SW movie is Empire due to the famous plot twist.

Ep7 IMHO isn't as bad as what most had made it to be. Its not going to bag Oscars but its not a rotten tomato either.

Lets not be too quick to judge the new characters and their abilities cos we knew so little of them. If you think about it we don't even know much about Finn or Poe. My guess is ep 8 and 9 will expend more on that.

As for kylo ren, I don't see a villain that is weak, I see a young man who is conflicted about his abilities and looks to be a very interesting character. Cool level headed evil is kinda clique anyway. He may potentially become good. His tears with his father is genuine and yell a lot about his doubt even for the dark side. Its also noted that he is not a Sith (not a Darth unlike Darth maul) but a apprentice, and a young one. Anakin goofed before in ep2 and now it's his turn. Ill be watching him carefully.

As for the story, I think the writers intention us to let us re experience the whole magic of what made SW great hence the similarities in the plot, right down to the new death star and its oscillator reactor having the same shape as the exhaust vent in the original death star. When then the resistance is discussing the plans to destroys the starkiller planet I get the vibe from the acting like "yup, its clique, yup the bad guys probably knows we are going to do it....but we are still doing it anyway.

I like the lightsaber fights. Simple but effective. Sure it doesn't have that acrobatic nature from the prequels but the whole jedi order was destroyed along with the lightsaber fighting forms and tactics. They basically start from scratch. Anyway fight that are too choreographed doesn't look realistic.

In the whole my only grips are:

-the redundancy of captain plasma's character

-is it wise for han solo to be killed off so fast on the trilogy

-no memorable music. Ep1 is a bad movie but at least the duel of fates nailed it.

Other than what I am pretty happy that it appears to be better than the prequels, ep4 and ep6.

9/10 for casual viewers

7.5/10 fans.

1/10 hardcore fans

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 3

Turbocharged

Just watched the force awakens yesterday and then dare to read this thread. Kyo Ren is a pussy. The worst villain in the SW series. I was expecting a Darth Maul kinda character but turned out to be a brat. Then Luke is like a Yoda and Rey is like a Luke. 

• Praise 2

JJ Abrams chose a safe path in this new instalment. Understandably so, considering his Disney bosses paid $4b for the franchise. This episode is reminiscence of the original trilogy. So much resemblance it felt like a remake of A New Hope to me, except that the characters are changed.... ie instead of Luke, we have Rey... and the old Luke is Yoda. Kylo is just an emotional version of DV.

And about Kylo, he was impressive when he was introduced. He can do what Yoda or DV can't. He can

- can read people's mind

- stop a laser beam

And yet, not only did he struggle to shake off Finn, a sanitary cleaner who uses the lightsaber for the first time, he also found no match against a girl who never had any training of the force and is also using the lightsabre for the first time. Yes he was injured by Chew but unless both of legs was sawn off, I find it illogical that he had to struggle like a wimp in the last battle.

He was first injured by chew unexpectedly. So he's already fighting with a handicap.

Second he just did something quite monumental so his emotions are unstable.

He's not fully trained as what the king bad guy implied and he never fully finished his training under Luke as well.

His emotions are unstable as well. So his powers likely waxes and wanes.

The force doesn't make them superhuman. When Luke got his hand chopped off by Vader he was pretty much incapacitated

Indeed they thrashed thousands of man hours of work putting together a whole storyline that's conscientiously designed to connect

Really sad. That explains why I have yet to watch this new trilogy

I don't believe Disney could simply butt in and outdo all these seasoned sci fic authors who were overseen by Lucas himself

Lucas created the atrocity of part one as well.

Let's just say Lucas is a two to 3 hit wonder.

Part 6 and part 1 were bad. He managed to save the prequels with part 3.

Don't go in with too much expectations and just enjoy the movie. It's good by the way. I would say it's a first time in so long I haven't been disappointed in such a hyped up movie

I would say I know Star wars well enough short of doing silly cos play.

It's a pity that thrawn isn't a villan. But let's move on.

Carrie fisher is really jialat though. Haha u can see her makeup is really gao gao applied. Definitely less screen time in future please.

• Praise 3

I would say it's a solid start for the new franchise. 4.25 stars to the franchise.

High expectations.

I'm more impressed with this movie than when I watched the first lotr movies. Definitely going to watch I max 3d for all the movies.

Actually this is first time I stepped into a movie theatre since 2013

Carrie fisher is really jialat though. Haha u can see her makeup is really gao gao applied. Definitely less screen time in future please.

Don't kpkb lah.

First movie came out in 1977.  Naturally the 38+ years would been unkind to the actors (and the fans - if you know what i mean)..

Edited by Icu

more screen time for Rey instead ... [:p]

yes, overall pretty OK entertainment for 2+ hours.

overall, its pretty ok entertainment for 2+ hours.

Don't kpkb lah.

First movie came out in 1977. Naturally the 38+ years would been unkind to the actors (and the fans - if you know what i mean)..

Sure. But now that the characters are re introduced. I just want less screen time for the original cast. After all its bringing Star wars to the next generation.

Anyway she's been a druggie for so long. Quite amazing she's not dead yet.

yes, overall pretty OK entertainment for 2+ hours.

overall, its pretty ok entertainment for 2+ hours.

She reminds me of Emma Watson.

Sure. But now that the characters are re introduced. I just want less screen time for the original cast. After all its bringing Star wars to the next generation.

Anyway she's been a druggie for so long. Quite amazing she's not dead yet.

She reminds me of Emma Watson.

post-15968-0-92887800-1450586885.jpg

Edited by Blueray
  • Praise 1

Saw the show last nite. Not as impressive as before.

The plot is quite weak actually. Like the 1st order purposely let the resistance wreak the super laser gun. Didnt they learn from the death star destruction.

They could have put up a million fighters to fend off the pathetic attackers. But the director say must open leg big big let them attack.......lol

Saw the show last nite. Not as impressive as before.

The plot is quite weak actually. Like the 1st order purposely let the resistance wreak the super laser gun. Didnt they learn from the death star destruction.

They could have put up a million fighters to fend off the pathetic attackers. But the director say must open leg big big let them attack.......lol

Well star wars always had a few individuals influencing big conflicts. I mean if u want to be realistic, only generals commanding great armies can do that. Not one Jedi or few courageous people

No different from two Hobbits influencing the fate of the world...

Lol

↡ Advertisement