Correct way to cross a traffic pedestrian crossing.

nazerath

What is the correct way to do so? I normally wait for the people to cross then I go, but so long as the people have not crossed the Center divider on a dual carriage way, I will turn.is that the right way? Or do I have to wait for them to cross completely regardless of where they are?

Reason for asking is that I see enforcement officers taking a video camera on a tripod pointing at the crossings twice in a week.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

What is the correct way to do so? I normally wait for the people to cross then I go, but so long as the people have not crossed the Center divider on a dual carriage way, I will turn.is that the right way? Or do I have to wait for them to cross completely regardless of where they are?

Reason for asking is that I see enforcement officers taking a video camera on a tripod pointing at the crossings twice in a week.

Based on my understanding, you have to wait for the pedestrians to cross to the other side first, before you can turn.

You can turn after they have crossed but not before; you do not need to wait for them to reach the other side but you can only turn your car behind their direction of walking, not in front.

If you turn and cut in front into their direction of walking, it is an offence.

Which is almost impossible because there are idiotic pedestrians who do not follow the rules and start crossing when the green man is already flickering, which is against the rules.

Not to mention there are those who saunter, take their own sweet time and look at their smartphones while crossing.

Edited by Doppel
  • Praise 3

What if they have not reach the half at which I can turn? I was taught I could if I remember correctly.

Based on my understanding, that is an offence, as you are cutting in front into their direction of crossing, albeit they have not reached the section of the road which you are turning into.
  • Praise 1

thanks for your reply. clear and concise.

i actually waited for all to clear before proceeding.

Drivers do be careful at crossings now.

Edited by nazerath
  • Praise 2

thanks for your reply. clear and concise.

i actually waited for all to clear before proceeding.

Drivers do be careful at crossings now.

It is not required to wait for the pedestrians to complete their crossing, as long as you turn behind their direction of crossing.
  • Praise 4

Just remember that we cannot turn infront of the pedestrians. That is an offence. 

Looks like many drivers turn infront of the pedestrians, and some even turned very close to the pedestrians! And yet I don't see drivers get summon due to this offence?

• Praise 4

Any idea how many demerit points for that? Seems like there is now enforcement for it. I have seen it on zebra crossings but never on junction. If we follow the rules strictly there would be serious congestion.

• Praise 5

Twincharged

Looks like many drivers turn infront of the pedestrians, and some even turned very close to the pedestrians! And yet I don't see drivers get summon due to this offence?

No enforcement lo. Just like stopping at stop lines also. By right need to come to a complete stop before moving off again. But how many drivers do that?

• Praise 2

Driver knocks into cyclist at pedestrian crossing while light still shows "green man" at Pasir Ris Dr 1

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/this-urban-jungle/driver-knocks-into-cyclist-at-pedestrian-crossing-while-light-still-shows-green

Pretty sad to see how physically reactive the driver was towards the cyclist instead of checking on him when the driver almost ran over the cyclist.

I mean the cyclist was also at fault as he was "supposed to dismount when crossing light junctions" as mandated by the Singapore law. However the driver in this case reacted as if he was the victim.

Driving in Singapore really stress lol.

• Praise 4

Pretty sad to see how physically reactive the driver was towards the cyclist instead of checking on him when the driver almost ran over the cyclist.

I mean the cyclist was also at fault as he was "supposed to dismount when crossing light junctions" as mandated by the Singapore law. However the driver in this case reacted as if he was the victim.

the cyclist actually jumped off the bike unharm [laugh]

but it seem to be like the driver not paying attention since the green man light still on.

• Praise 1

This driver must be dreaming while driving, the cyclist is just so obvious in front of him and yet still run it over. Some drivers are just blatantly impatient..and yet think he is right.

• Praise 3

Any idea how many demerit points for that? Seems like there is now enforcement for it. I have seen it on zebra crossings but never on junction. If we follow the rules strictly there would be serious congestion.

safety(of pedestrians) is of paramount importance..after all if pedestrians get hit by drivers(or riders)..who gets the most blame?

at the most..only ~2 minutes get wasted due to waiting for next green light

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Even though the cyclist should have pushed his bike across, he wasn't those reckless kind also. He was cycling quite slowly, probably about the speed of someone brisk-walking or jogging. No excuse for the driver not to notice him.

• Praise 3

Even though the cyclist should have pushed his bike across, he wasn't those reckless kind also. He was cycling quite slowly, probably about the speed of someone brisk-walking or jogging. No excuse for the driver not to notice him.

You are correct.

But in a court I wouldn't expect 100% blame to motorist.

Maybe 15% or more to cyclist.

Both actually breaking the law.

If two people break law who to blame?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3