Come Share Your View on "Car-Lite City"

Imac

Till recent, the term "Car-Lite City" have been used more than once by our ministers and PM.

Come share your views and opinions what will be government action/plans to achieve this "Car-Lite City" vision.

1. Reduce COE Quota  (OCS)

2. Increase Tax (Road Tax, PARF, ARF)

3. Increase ERP Charges

4. ???

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Till recent, the term "Car-Lite City" have been used more than once by our ministers and PM.

Come share your views and opinions what will be government action/plans to achieve this "Car-Lite City" vision.

3. Increase ERP Charges

4. ???

OMG.... IMPROVE THE RELIABILITY OF THE MRT SYSTEM!!!!

• Praise 2

PM Lee mooted this during the launch of the Downtown Line 2.

However, I find the connectivity of our mrt lines still far from optimal.  My house is just beside the queenstown mrt.  however, if I want to use the mrt to go to suntec city, botanic gardens or sixth avenue, I have to take a very long way to the interchange stations situated very far apart before I can get to my destination.  this is hardly a sensible way to commute.  take a 45min mrt ride instead of 5min car drive?

3. Increase ERP Charges

4. ???

• Praise 3

Drive down the cost of acquisition and expand availability of cars

- car dealers, workshop & ancillaries services are still an important part of the local economy and cap on COE is a cap on the market size.

- it's still an aspirational item as many bro/sis says, "face" device

- plenty of HDB carparks built in new estate or revamp estates, need to cover amortization cost

Drive up the cost of use

- Pay by use and distance via ERP GPS

- Increase car park cost at popular destinations

- Increase congestion around popular places

- Increase fuel surcharges

- Increase road taxes

Drive up attractiveness of alternative to car as mode of regular transportation

- increase train coverage density

- increase bus coverage density

- increase personal mobility equipment use of public spaces

All the goodness of milk (cars) without the fat (congestion).

Edited by Limwsv
  • Praise 2

However, I find the connectivity of our mrt lines still far from optimal.  My house is just beside the queenstown mrt.  however, if I want to use the mrt to go to suntec city, botanic gardens or sixth avenue, I have to take a very long way to the interchange stations situated very far apart before I can get to my destination.  this is hardly a sensible way to commute.  take a 45min mrt ride instead of 5min car drive?

Hui ge starts talking about it since he took over that ministry.

From Queenstown to Suntec, it is about 15 - 20 mins by East West line.

From Queenstown to Botanical Garden, it is about 20 - 25 mins by East-West & Circle.

From Queenstown to Sixth Avenue, it is about 30 mins by East-West, Circle & DTL.

if by car, travel time reduce by half or 25% only.

It is not as bad as u think hor.

I think you also need to consider the impact of driverless cars as there is a huge amount of development/research in this space.  This could really be the big game-changer.  I could see car ownership being a thing of the past and effectively these driverless cars are the new taxi system. 

• Praise 1

suntec - it is not directly to suntec .....it still is an exit to city hall and a long walk.  otherwise if exit to raffles place, still need to change platform and  wait for train to marina south and then change and wait again for train towards promenade.  each getting off and waiting will add quite some minutes .

sixth avenue - I think I made a mistake of forgetting there is an interchange at botanic gardens.  so it is not as bad as I thought. I take my words back on that.

despite that, the cut in travel time is more than 25%.  25% only equates to about 4-7min for most of the travel times you have stated.  example I drive past sixth avenue daily and it takes me 7 minutes only.  that is about 70% less.

Hui ge starts talking about it since he took over that ministry.

From Queenstown to Suntec, it is about 15 - 20 mins by East West line.

From Queenstown to Botanical Garden, it is about 20 - 25 mins by East-West & Circle.

From Queenstown to Sixth Avenue, it is about 30 mins by East-West, Circle & DTL.

if by car, travel time reduce by half or 25% only.

It is not as bad as u think hor.

With so much talk on this by ministers. Now even LHL, I think this will likely become a reality.

No matter how good the public transport system is when it happens, I will miss my ride..................

I think for fairness of comparison, you need to state two things

1. Time that you are taking that trip

2. Point to point timing required, ie from house to a specific place.  

From the sound of your description, your traveling is during off-peak and does not account of time taken to find and park and walk to the actual destination.

What a lot of people near liek to do is to overstated the time for public transport and understated the time for private transport.

They forget about the time variance for the transportation.  Total time for train travel variance is small +- 5% unless outlier like SMRT breakdowns.  Car variance higher +- 15% unless outlier like traffic accidents or popular events like X'mas or Expos.

Edited by Limwsv
  • Praise 2

With so much talk on this by ministers. Now even LHL, I think this will likely become a reality.

No matter how good the public transport system is when it happens, I will miss my ride..................

I believe you dun even have a car or bike in the first place? Or do you?

I take that route at 630pm.  I am definitely not padding up the example I quoted.

as for point 2, I don't see the difference if I am not counting in time to take lift.  once I get out of the lift, the time to walk to car park vs time to walk to station are pertinent comparatives yet I actually cut the mrt option slack already as I disregarded the walking time for both when the walking time for the latter would have definitely been higher. 

I think for fairness of comparison, you need to state two things

1. Time that you are taking that trip

2. Point to point timing required, ie from house to a specific place.  

From the sound of your description, your traveling is during off-peak and does not account of time taken to find and park and walk to the actual destination.

I believe you dun even have a car or bike in the first place? Or do you?

Here you go again. Don't you ever get tired of being the SAD character?

Or is it you feel the need to make some noise again?

I take that route at 630pm.  I am definitely not padding up the example I quoted.

as for point 2, I don't see the difference if I am not counting in time to take lift.  once I get out of the lift, the time to walk to car park vs time to walk to station are pertinent comparatives yet I actually cut the mrt option slack already as I disregarded the walking time for both when the walking time for the latter would have definitely been higher. 

Sorry, which route?  Time to find parking is pertinent since it's part of the time cost that everyone is talking about.

If you are driving to Suntec City starting from Queenstown MRT Station on a working day at 6.30 pm, you will encounter a couple of choke points depending on your route.  Finding parking at Suntec will probably consume another 10 minutes.  So the total saving over SMRT may not be as much as you think.

Every car owner will need to pay a new private transport levy... like $1000 per car annually.

But, they are entitle to top up their ezlink card, up to $2000 annually for FREE!

Can?

• Praise 1

3. Increase ERP Charges

4. ???

Reduce population.   Wanna have car-lite, first have people-lite.

As long as there are lots of people, with money, fat chance of going car-lite.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1