Change Disc Rotors

Surf2004

Hi, my steering wheel vibrates when I brake at 100km/hr. Likely warped disc rotors though less than 2 yrs old. My brake pads are 60% used. Should I change brake pads when I change disc rotors ?

↡ Advertisement

Hi, my steering wheel vibrates when I brake at 100km/hr. Likely warped disc rotors though less than 2 yrs old. My brake pads are 60% used. Should I change brake pads when I change disc rotors ?

you have the option to replace or skim the warped disc rotors. unless there is something wrong with the brake pads, it is not necessary to replace them.

i would prefer to change the rotors..... not that it is very expensive...

brake pads can remain.....

Depends on brand - if conti cars like BMW, the rotors are expensive, maybe 1-2k per set.

There is option to mill down the warped discs, but if you go back AD, they will just want to sell you a replacement set   [laugh]

Depends on brand - if conti cars like BMW, the rotors are expensive, maybe 1-2k per set.

There is option to mill down the warped discs, but if you go back AD, they will just want to sell you a replacement set   [laugh]

Are you sure SGD 1K - 2K per set for BMW?

• Praise 1

It's normally recommended to change brake pads together when changing rotors so the 2 items can bed in properly like new virgin couples
  • Praise 1

Since on this topic, where can skim for cheep and good price and quick? :p

Used to do it at leun Seng engineering at sin Ming. Not sure if cheap now or not. But old master craftsman

Y 2 year old car rotor will wrap so fast?

So far, the car that I have drive before, 7-9 years old car all rotor still orginal set since day..

I think it depends how you drive.

TS brakes at high speed - 100km/hr.

if he do that so often, the brake may not last ?

• Praise 5

So far, the car that I have drive before, 7-9 years old car all rotor still orginal set since day..

Sometimes it is a matter of heng-suay. If your rotors are hot and you go through a puddle of water, it may cause uneven cooling of the discs that result in warping. Or simply a problem with material on your disc that result in warping though that is hard to prove.

• Praise 1

Sorry for hijacking this thread as I am unable to create my own :(

I was quoted $230 for two front disc rotor and $360 for two rear disc rotor plus brake pads (including labour).

I called stockist and they told me $90 per front disc and $105 per rear disc.

I am not sure what brand does the workshop uses though.

Should I just get from stockist and pay for labour outside?

I am riding a 2010 Kia Koup.

Thanks! 

my previous ride, a toyota wish, never need to change rotor after driving for more than 8 years - damn robust.

Edited by Lotr

Sorry for hijacking this thread as I am unable to create my own :(

I was quoted $230 for two front disc rotor and $360 for two rear disc rotor plus brake pads (including labour).

I called stockist and they told me $90 per front disc and $105 per rear disc.

I am not sure what brand does the workshop uses though.

Should I just get from stockist and pay for labour outside?

I am riding a 2010 Kia Koup.

Thanks! 

its normal for workshop to jack up the price of spare parts.  Worse if when they use OE (3rd party) parts - compatible with original but still ..

If you bring your own spares, and they are willing to do the job, they will then jack up the labour charge

Sharing my previous experience. Same issue of steering wheel vib during hard braking. Chg rotor n brake pads. Two front rotor less than $100, $20-30 for front brake pads. 08 tucson.

Labor one fifty for above n front shocks, stabiliser bar bush n rods.

My mechanic says if travel a lot up north distance travelling better change to higher grade rotor as factory one cant stand the high temp from the long driving. Will warp, i got that experience

Thought it should be the other way round?

Long distance at higher speed should be kinder to most wear & tear parts. Brakes should feel much cooler too.

It's the urban stop and start traffic conditions that exert a lot of stress, wear & tear on brakes. To add salt to the wound, brakes are even more stressed on an automatic transmission car due to the fact that it is the only means to regulate speed and control.

Your brake could be binding leading to heating up and warping.

My mechanic says if travel a lot up north distance travelling better change to higher grade rotor as factory one cant stand the high temp from the long driving. Will warp, i got that experience

Edited by Kangadrool
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1