Time to invest in Australia?

Sdf4786k

Smart move huh ...

Well, my fren just asked me if im interested to attend a seminar by his agent on a melbourne property seminar tmr or on Sunday

say just need 30k can own  [laugh]

Anyone else interested?

I m only interested to retire in Williamtown.  A small little house there is expensive than my HDBee

↡ Advertisement

I am a bit simple.

I thought the time to invest in Australia was at the start of the mining boom.

Now that the mining boom is over people are thinking of investing?

Buy high sell low?

:D  

Edited by Jamesc

how to siam tax ? got thai wife can siam ?

You go airbnb and see those people renting out their apartments in Thailand, I am very sure 99% of them don't pay any tax.

if you missed the boat 9 years ago

the boat has returned ... huat ah!

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/32787973/perth-property-prices-dive-back-to-2007-levels/

obviously, not many like perth compare to melbourne ... lol

Australia has too much land and the landed properties in each locality appeals to only a small niche market n you would be facing an uphill task finding buyers. Just look at Reapfield who are marketing those cheap bungalows in some ulu part of Melbourne, aud300k n still many plots left unsold. My advice id to thread with caution coz cheap doesn't mean investable.
  • Praise 1

obviously, cheap is cheap for a reason ... else ... all units are gone in 60 seconds liao ...

still wait until me go there meh ... that's what i always tell myself ... lol

Edited by Wt_know

Perth is quite a nice city. Though I've not been to melbourne yet.

I guess the shorter distance back to Asia will always make it attractive to us asians.

• Praise 1

obviously, cheap is cheap for a reason ... else ... all units are gone in 60 seconds liao ...

still wait until me go there meh ... that's what i always tell myself ... lol

Not all cheap is bad lah, that time in 2009 when Caspian was going for 500k for 2 bedder, I had all the time to pick and choose any unit but didn't bother buying LOL...who would have thought that in 2 short years the price went up to $900k plus.

in 2009 ... not just caspian ... you buy any property will also make money

Not all cheap is bad lah, that time in 2009 when Caspian was going for 500k for 2 bedder, I had all the time to pick and choose any unit but didn't bother buying LOL...who would have thought that in 2 short years the price went up to $900k plus.

In Perth its best to invest in those typical suburbia houses (not the deluxe type), very easy to rent out.

I guess the shorter distance back to Asia will always make it attractive to us asians.

• Praise 3

Someone told us it's a city for quitters to go to... [:p]

Maybe that someone is already there enjoying NICE life.... [sly] It's not nice when a place is overcrowded...

Edited by Kangadrool

In Perth its best to invest in those typical suburbia houses (not the deluxe type), very easy to rent out.

What's a deluxe house?

What's a deluxe house?

Houses that are double storey, glass, like a designer type. Usually cost upwards of 800k

Usually single story brick boring houses are the ones easier for rent.

• Praise 3

Houses that are double storey, glass, like a designer type. Usually cost upwards of 800k

Usually single story brick boring houses are the ones easier for rent.

Ah yeah those are the B&B housing types.
  • Praise 1

like this lah, rental is not fantastic but I realize the tenants you get are usually quite stable. Fancy houses are not for renting out, apartments usually foreigners who can be a headache. 

house_2_1ae28g6-1ae28gb.jpg

Ah yeah those are the B&B housing types.

Someone told us it's a city for quitters to go to... [:p]

Maybe that someone is already there enjoying NICE life.... [sly] It's not nice when a place is overcrowded...

Whatever for?

Stay in SG he will still have a nice life and plenty of people fawning over him. In perth, he might get some racial epithets thrown at him.

like this lah, rental is not fantastic but I realize the tenants you get are usually quite stable. Fancy houses are not for renting out, apartments usually foreigners who can be a headache.

house_2_1ae28g6-1ae28gb.jpg

Do share with us your experience! You own property in Perth or melbourne?

Perth bah, but my experience also limited. The house was passed on to me in okay shape but needed some work, initially I rented out to a friend at low rent but I went back and cleared it up made it more habitable for renting out. Off the top of my head some things I noted were

- Garden is a pain if got trees need to constantly trim, big trees cost a bomb to take down. If possible try to have a minimalism garden, unfortunately mine had a fair sized garden and I didn't get a chance to concrete it up lol

- Good neighbors are important, over there cars cheap and my neighbors son had like 4 cars but they always parked in decently as not obstruct me, in fact my current tenant took my property cause her neighbor had 4/5 cars and a boat which made it hard for her to get in and out.

- Security is important, alarm or grilled windows are good. Keeps the insurance premium low.

- These average houses tend to attract stable tenants (mostly local Aussies), condo's usually more single professionals but can also be problematic if they lose their jobs.

- Also average type houses tenants are less fussy about wear and tear

- Rent terms are usually short i.e 6 months to year 

- Good management agent is important (<-this is the most important), usually the house has a fair bit of maintenance (i.e roof get leaves chocking the pipes, garden trimming, roofing tiles crack, garage door motor maintenance etc which need regular inspection and upkeep). Even the fire alarm requires yearly inspections and sign off to confirm working

- Also my management agent gets landlord insurance for me on top of regular insurance, it covers me if the tenant damages things in the house and loss of rental etc.

- Area you buy, some areas are real sh*tholes and it pays to know this well. One street could be a decent family neighborhood and two streets away could resemble some redneck heaven. Of course if you buy a luxury house this will unlikely to be an issue since the whole neighborhood will be quite pricey anyway.

But rental returns are not great, if you are borrowing money locally to rent the income will likely not offset the interest cost, again which is why many Aussies prefer renting to buying. 

Also I know an indo lady who bought a simple house and turned it into a mini student hostel, it was near the uni and she was making a mint. Just the rooms/house no food, washing or anything. Downside is have to deal with students (worse Singaporean students lol)

Do share with us your experience! You own property in Perth or melbourne?

Edited by Mercury1
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2