My date with Traffic Court, Court 21

Adrianli

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Tkseah said:

Thanks for pointing it out to me the webpage. 

Would be very nice for anyone who has gone through this process to share what they went through to eventually re-instate their license. Particularly about the possibility of avoiding the need to re-take the road test by attending some "special" classes?  I may be totally wrong about this. 

Edited by Joe_X123
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

39 minutes ago, Joe_X123 said:

Would be very nice for anyone who has gone through this process to share what they went through to eventually re-instate their license. Particularly about the possibility of avoiding the need to re-take the road test by attending some "special" classes?  I may be totally wrong about this. 

Special drivers’ education classes are for drivers who have expended their 24 DIPS.

https://www.cdc.com.sg/course/dips-retraining

As far as I know, you have to retake your driving test, as suspensions exceeding 12 months are essentially a revocation.

https://carro.sg/blog/what-happens-after-your-license-has-been-revoked/

Any competent driver should not be afraid to have to retake their test. If they are worried about passing, they shouldn’t be on the road in the first place.

• Praise 9

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Have you been suspended or planning to be? If not why bother to check? 

asking for fren 🙂🙂

• Haha! 7

Hypersonic

Drove pass the TP HQ in Ubi earlier, many people queuing outside, today TP HQ got free buffet ? 😄

• Haha! 3

Turbocharged
4 minutes ago, RH1667 said:

Drove pass the TP HQ in Ubi earlier, many people queuing outside, today TP HQ got free buffet ? 😄

maybe the past weeks' gathering participants queueing up to get their free kopi.

• Haha! 2

(edited)

In SG there really is no reason to go beyond 100kph, ecept to test your vehicle or get a kick from high speed.

Edited by Throttle2
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Joe_X123 said:

Better for you to go through it the hard way so you can learn from your own mistakes 

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Macrosszero said:

Special drivers’ education classes are for drivers who have expended their 24 DIPS.

https://www.cdc.com.sg/course/dips-retraining

As far as I know, you have to retake your driving test, as suspensions exceeding 12 months are essentially a revocation.

https://carro.sg/blog/what-happens-after-your-license-has-been-revoked/

Any competent driver should not be afraid to have to retake their test. If they are worried about passing, they shouldn’t be on the road in the first place.

COE going to waste for one . esp if no other driver in the household.

6 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

In SG there really is no reason to go beyond 100kph, ecept to test your vehicle or get a kick from high speed.

There’s a myriad of other reasons aside from speeding one would be faced with a 12-month suspension/revocation of license:

- drink driving

- reckless driving/at fault accident causing injury or death

- racing/rounding

- driving while suspended

- exceeded 24 points

Didn’t research it so I might be wrong on some

38 minutes ago, Macrosszero said:

There’s a myriad of other reasons aside from speeding one would be faced with a 12-month suspension/revocation of license:

- drink driving

- reckless driving/at fault accident causing injury or death

- racing/rounding

- driving while suspended

- exceeded 24 points

Didn’t research it so I might be wrong on some

ok.

But i was talking purely about driving fast 
And that in singapore, there is absolutely no need to go that fast.

wasnt talking about reasons leading to loss of licence 

Turbocharged
7 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

Don't really need to go 100kph to kena. A lot of my speeding fines last time were relatively slow(ish) speeds (along roads with 60-70km/h limit).

• Haha! 2

(edited)

Perhaps I need to elaborate a little more since my very humble request for some information has gone tangential for their own amusement by some.  Thanks to the rest who have pointed me to some useful information.

I was involved in a collision with another car driver. All looks fine initially and was just glad no one was injured. We towed our cars away in the presence of the traffic policemen. A month later I received a letter from TP requesting me to make a police report which I complied. The real reason for the request to make a traffic report become clear only later when his lawyer copied me a letter to my insurer about a claim of $20,000 for an “injury” sustained during the accident. The lawyer attached his doctor’s bill as well…a “hefty” sum of around $100.

Ten months after the accident I had my court hearing. As a result of that “injury” claim, I was charged with a traffic offence under section 64 (2B) (a) of the Road traffic Act. My license was suspended for a year despite this is my first traffic offence in 30 years of driving. I wanted to appeal against the penalty imposed by the court (but not the TP traffic charge) but the lawyer wanted $17,000 for his services, so I had to drop the idea.

Maybe after reading this, perhaps everyone should be prepared to suddenly have their driving license revoked just because someone has decided they wanted to make some easy money from an unfortunate situation. Therefore, the replies and guidance I was hoping to obtain from someone who has gone through this process is maybe very applicable to all of you as well…one day.  Nevertheless it is an experience that I would not want to wish for even my enemies.

Just to add, contrary to what we hear that the traffic judge will be very lenient for first time offenders, it is just a myth. They are guided by the charges proposed by the prosecutor and will normally not deviate from it.

Edited by Joe_X123
  • Praise 9

28 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Don't really need to go 100kph to kena. A lot of my speeding fines last time were relatively slow(ish) speeds (along roads with 60-70km/h limit).

Yes.

as mentioned i was not talking about what it takes to get a ticket

was just highlighting that there is really no practical reason enough to drive so much beyond 100kph in SG

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Eh, very dodgy leh.

When they sent you the "injury" claim you never dispute meh?

EDIT: Sorry this was meant for Joe

Edited by Benarsenal

(edited)

@Benarsenal 

15 minutes ago, Benarsenal said:

Eh, very dodgy leh.

When they sent you the "injury" claim you never dispute meh?

EDIT: Sorry this was meant for Joe

How to? We do hear about people engaging private investigators, but very few of us would have the resource to do so. If anyone who has the resource to do so would be my insurer but I would not know what happened after that. My case was already deemed closed by my insurer within 3 weeks of the accident. 

Edited by Joe_X123

(edited)

Not meant to cast doubts on the integrity of the person who has made the injury claim, in the event he may have indeed sustained injury that was known only later. What I wanted to put across is how easy it is for anyone of us to be involved in an accident and then be determined by TP that we have caused an injury (e.g. whiplash). The TP would not have any means to dispute any injury claims, and have no reason to do so if a doctor has issued so and so days of MC, etc. 

Edited by Joe_X123
↡ Advertisement