Passat B8

Anderang

Here is my FR after 1 week of driving.

The 1.8 TSI engine is powerful and yet quiet. The accelerator is responsive and with the max torque of 250Nm pulling from 1250rpm, it is more than sufficient for me. The shifting is smooth and power delivery is fantastic.

The ride is comfortable and sound insulation is excellent. The nappa leather seats are comfy and massage function at the driver seat is a nice touch. Initially I thought the stock 17 inch will look small on the Passat, but they actually look nice and not small. I like the look of the LED DRL and headlights. One disappointing note is the front fog lamps are still on orange halogen, it will be more complete if they are on LED as well.

The discover pro head unit is real cool. The navigation system is clear and ez to use. Though the map update will set me back by $700. Stock sound system and speakers are pretty solid. I have the blackvue 650 with cell link battery pack installed in my B8.

Interior of B8 is up market and feels luxurious. Extremely spacious at the back. One thing that swayed me to buy the B8 is the roomy interior. Before buying, I tested 318i, XE, Q50, C180. The B8 gives the most legroom.

Overall, I feel the Passat is the best equipped car at this price point.

congrats...I thk its a fantastic choice of heart over head.

the 1.8 paired with the dsg is a heaven sent, and tats y its in the new FL A6 too.

btw this 1,8 can do much more than 300nm easily...enjoy! [wave]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Thanks for this review and congrats for buying this very nice car! Sounds like a very good relationship from the start.

Massage function at this price!

• Praise 1

No experience on the vehicle servicing yet but considering this as the next ride.

But the SE service at the showroom really su*k and I'm just afraid that it might translate down to vehicle servicing. I won't go through my litany of complains here.

Trying to find out more about what I can do aftermarket as part of my consideration.

This car really good bang for buck. If only it was RWD too..............lol.

you bad luck meet lousy SE

mine quite good leh. very open to giving freebies to close the deal though quite lian  :ph34r:

:D  

No experience on the vehicle servicing yet but considering this as the next ride.

But the SE service at the showroom really su*k and I'm just afraid that it might translate down to vehicle servicing. I won't go through my litany of complains here.

Trying to find out more about what I can do aftermarket as part of my consideration.

This car really good bang for buck. If only it was RWD too..............lol.

Tons of tuners out there that can do the job for you. But do note that VCS is quite particular about tuning and it might void your warranty. If you really want to upsize right from the start, can consider piggyback first as it's just plug and play and supposedly no trace of the car being tuned. I also tried before when my car was under warranty.

After warranty, that's when all hell break loose and the sky's the limit :D

My suggestion is to do it one at a time, and enjoy the incremental performance, be it hardware or software. So maybe first 2 years, enjoy the stock performance first. 3rd year can try piggyback (shd not cost more than $1k, can even get used set). 4th year upgrade brake set. and maybe suspension but I feel the B8 is good enough. Go for stage 1. What you do after that is depending on how poisoned you get liao...

you bad luck meet lousy SE

mine quite good leh. very open to giving freebies to close the deal though quite lian  :ph34r:

:D  

Hmmm.........I need to check with you on the freebies. Will PM you to ask at a later stage if I commit to this. [:p]

Turbocharged

Passat B8 was my top pick before I came onto my current ride, because the B8 at the time wasn't available haha. Furthermore I'm a bit wary of the DSG problem.

Please do share if you ever encounter the DSG failure.

That said, the Passat is just such a competent car overall.

Regarding RNS510, I was under the impression the latest Passat is using the Discover/Discover Pro system?

• Praise 1

Here is my FR after 1 week of driving.

The 1.8 TSI engine is powerful and yet quiet. The accelerator is responsive and with the max torque of 250Nm pulling from 1250rpm, it is more than sufficient for me. The shifting is smooth and power delivery is fantastic.

The ride is comfortable and sound insulation is excellent. The nappa leather seats are comfy and massage function at the driver seat is a nice touch. Initially I thought the stock 17 inch will look small on the Passat, but they actually look nice and not small. I like the look of the LED DRL and headlights. One disappointing note is the front fog lamps are still on orange halogen, it will be more complete if they are on LED as well.

The discover pro head unit is real cool. The navigation system is clear and ez to use. Though the map update will set me back by $700. Stock sound system and speakers are pretty solid. I have the blackvue 650 with cell link battery pack installed in my B8.

Interior of B8 is up market and feels luxurious. Extremely spacious at the back. One thing that swayed me to buy the B8 is the roomy interior. Before buying, I tested 318i, XE, Q50, C180. The B8 gives the most legroom.

How was the fc so far?

Saw your post on exporting your Volvo instead of trading in.

Vcs didn't give you a good trade in value?

Hey bro

Can I check with you if your passat headlamps is like this in the link below with the small U on the outer light.

Apparently this is the higher spec led headlamp.

Hey bro

Can I check with you if your passat headlamps is like this in the link below with the small U on the outer light.

Apparently this is the higher spec led headlamp.

Bro edwin15,

I just went down to my basement carpark to double check.

Yes exactly the same!

How was the fc so far?

Saw your post on exporting your Volvo instead of trading in.

Vcs didn't give you a good trade in value?

Did not really track my FC. Cos I just topped up, will check the FC during next top up.

I guess VCS will just give paper value + maybe a few hundreds for my volvo. Since my previous ride coe expiring soon when i booked in early dec.

Powerful is such a loosely used term ...... :sick:

Agree with u. Maybe i used too loosely already cos powerful very subjective.

Coming from someone who drove an old s40 with 2.4 NA engine to a 1.8 TSI engine, i guess it is powerful enough for me.

Of cos if someone is driving a sub 5 or 6s century sprint car, then 1.8T B8 is too slow for him/her.

Cheers.

Bro edwin15,

I just went down to my basement carpark to double check.

Yes exactly the same!

Tks. This is good. I had not taken note the last time I went down showroom.

Passat B8 was my top pick before I came onto my current ride, because the B8 at the time wasn't available haha. Furthermore I'm a bit wary of the DSG problem.

Please do share if you ever encounter the DSG failure.

That said, the Passat is just such a competent car overall.

Regarding RNS510, I was under the impression the latest Passat is using the Discover/Discover Pro system?

Yes B8 is equipped with the discover pro unit.

A gem indeed.

Great to have this thread!

I went down to test drive the new B8 as well. The ride is smooth although its the DQ200 7speed gearbox. Doesn't feel jerky and is refined surprisingly.

Anyone know if Apple Carplay/Android Auto works on the Discovery Pro 8" screen?

I check through the specs but didn't find it.

• Praise 1

My neighbour drives one, very nice i like the headlight macam bmw

Ya I love the look of my B8 LED headlights & DRL... :yuush:

• Praise 1

Great to have this thread!

I went down to test drive the new B8 as well. The ride is smooth although its the DQ200 7speed gearbox. Doesn't feel jerky and is refined surprisingly.

Anyone know if Apple Carplay/Android Auto works on the Discovery Pro 8" screen?

I check through the specs but didn't find it.

Bro zhehao,

I was told by SE Apple Carplay / Android Auto works on the Disco Pro.

Read briefly on this when i browse thru the car manual.

Have not try yet though.

Will update u when i try it.

Cheers.

Bro zhehao,

I was told by SE Apple Carplay / Android Auto works on the Disco Pro.

Read briefly on this when i browse thru the car manual.

Have not try yet though.

Will update u when i try it.

Cheers.

Thank you! [laugh]

Turbocharged

Ya I love the look of my B8 LED headlights & DRL... :yuush:

any adaptive/selective dimming features on the B8's LED headlamps?

in my opinion, VW dropped the ball and missed a huge opportunity though - they should have designed the DRL as a "VW" instead of "UU"!

↡ Advertisement