Passat B8

Anderang

Neutral Newbie

Hi, just collected my CL 2 weeks ago. This tread is really helpful. 
Wanna ask what r the usual items included in first 4 years’ servicing. 

↡ Advertisement

Hi

For update.

My 2017 B8 1.8 with ard 55k mileage after testing at VW centre after noticed the car made some noise and feel a bit 'resistance" on gear 2 to 3. And noted to change the clutch plate after they so call did a dyno test on the car.

No mod done to the car. stock!.

So..... the DSG is not resolved in the B8. Its under 5 year warranty. Told the DSG resolved in the B8 when made the purchase in 2017 but its not. Any chance to fight for longer warranty?

Edited by Cochran

Neutral Newbie
3 hours ago, Cochran said:

Hi

For update.

My 2017 B8 1.8 with ard 55k mileage after testing at VW centre after noticed the car made some noise and feel a bit 'resistance" on gear 2 to 3. And noted to change the clutch plate after they so call did a dyno test on the car.

So..... the DSG is not resolved in the B8. Its under 5 year warranty. Told the DSG resolved in the B8 when made the purchase in 2017 but its not. Any chance to fight for longer warranty?

Hey @CochranIs the change of clutch plate covered under warranty or chargeable? 

On 3/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, Cochran said:

Hi

For update.

It seems like your issue is clutch wear and need to change to a new clutch plate. Let’s be clear, when VW said DSG issues were fixed, they did not mean that clutch will never wear out. Having any kind of manual gearbox means that clutch will wear out eventually (except if it’s a wet clutch).

What VW meant was that back in 2014, they changed the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral. The synthetic oil used to cause failure of the DSG mechatronics, especially in hot and humid weather. The mineral oil helps to prevent this. 

Dry clutches will continue to wear out over time. When I bought my B8, I was prepared to pay for clutch replacement sometime down the road. The B8 price was good enough for me to proceed with purchase, even if I had to pay for clutch replacement.

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, clickb8 said:

It seems like your issue is clutch wear and need to change to a new clutch plate. Let’s be clear, when VW said DSG issues were fixed, they did not mean that clutch will never wear out. Having any kind of manual gearbox means that clutch will wear out eventually (except if it’s a wet clutch).

What VW meant was that back in 2014, they changed the gearbox oil from synthetic to mineral. The synthetic oil used to cause failure of the DSG mechatronics, especially in hot and humid weather. The mineral oil helps to prevent this. 

Dry clutches will continue to wear out over time. When I bought my B8, I was prepared to pay for clutch replacement sometime down the road. The B8 price was good enough for me to proceed with purchase, even if I had to pay for clutch replacement.

Ok. Any idea how much will it cost to change the clutch plate when warranty is over? estimate?

hi guys,

anyone knows how many litres of G13 would it take to replace the coolant in my B8 Passat?

everywhere i looked, there's no "service interval" for coolant..

that can't be right? if it's a fluid, it'll degrade...

On 3/25/2020 at 8:59 AM, clickb8 said:

But isn't changing clutch plate at 55K mileage a little too early?

• Praise 1

On 3/23/2020 at 2:19 PM, Cochran said:

Hi

For update.

The B8 still uses the DQ200 7 speed dry clutch. This is the very model that gave VW cars and DSG a bad rep as a whole.

Problems with the DQ200 is not just limited to mechatronics (which VW claims to have fixed with the mineral oil change). Just simply do a google and you will see the horror stories from all over the world.

But the silver lining here is... while these gearboxes are more fragile, there are now alot more 3rd party workshops out there that can fix it much cheaper than VW if your car is out of warranty.

38 minutes ago, Nine_eleven said:

hi guys,

anyone knows how many litres of G13 would it take to replace the coolant in my B8 Passat?

everywhere i looked, there's no "service interval" for coolant..

that can't be right? if it's a fluid, it'll degrade...

I always take a big pinch of salt from all these so called "service recommendations" from ADs. 

My car's AD tells me that my auto gearbox oil never ever needs to change. They even have the cheek to say it is sealed for lifetime. Even the gearbox manufacturer came out with a video to rebutt this claim.

I believe they say that because after the warranty period is over, then want you to buy a brand new gearbox or car from them. 🤣

On 3/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, Rickster said:

yes. at 55k is very early and too short lifespan for the clutch plate...........

On 3/26/2020 at 2:16 PM, Rickster said:

I always take a big pinch of salt from all these so called "service recommendations" from ADs. 

My car's AD tells me that my auto gearbox oil never ever needs to change. They even have the cheek to say it is sealed for lifetime. Even the gearbox manufacturer came out with a video to rebutt this claim.

I believe they say that because after the warranty period is over, then want you to buy a brand new gearbox or car from them. 🤣

Ur AD is PML? Lol

16 hours ago, Cochran said:

yes. at 55k is very early and too short lifespan for the clutch plate...........

It depends on how you drive too. Some ppl only need to change clutch plate beyond 130k mileage. B8

On 3/25/2020 at 3:16 PM, Cochran said:

Ok. Any idea how much will it cost to change the clutch plate when warranty is over? estimate?

A few thousand... may be up to 5k the last I checked. 

On 3/26/2020 at 2:08 PM, Rickster said:

Yep sounds early... I average 10k a year so awaiting the 5-year mark with bated breath 😝

On 3/27/2020 at 4:25 PM, Cochran said:

I went back to read through your past problems with your B8, seems like they gave you a car with multiple issues... I’m at 1.5 years and no issues so far. Bad luck mate