Passat B8

Anderang

I have owned 2 models of passat : Passat1.8T and Passat CC 1.8Tsi

The earlier model gave no such problem, smooth engine, turbo-charged higher ramp and performance were excellent. however the PCC were a nightmare, Megatronic gave repeated problem, should have got the 2.0 instead.

megatronic failed 3 times despite spent a fortune, it died on me and I towed to w/s to have it scrapped over the weekends, 

My advise never ever own a Passat CC, not Srirocco & not even Golf, Sucks big time

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

Neutral Newbie

Thinking of getting the CL Passat and latest offer is below $120K  after discounts.

This forum is indeed helpful and learning a lot from the posts.

11 minutes ago, Qtm550 said:

Thinking of getting the CL Passat and latest offer is below $120K  after discounts.

A very good car for the price. Check out the HL at das welt auto, even better value if you dun mind mgt unit.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:31 PM, Meanmachine said:

I have owned 2 models of passat : Passat1.8T and Passat CC 1.8Tsi

The earlier model gave no such problem, smooth engine, turbo-charged higher ramp and performance were excellent. however the PCC were a nightmare, Megatronic gave repeated problem, should have got the 2.0 instead.

megatronic failed 3 times despite spent a fortune, it died on me and I towed to w/s to have it scrapped over the weekends, 

My advise never ever own a Passat CC, not Srirocco & not even Golf, Sucks big time

I totally feel you.. I used to own a Citroen DS4 and my gearbox mechatronic died on my when the mileage is only 60+K KM.

Best of all, I had earlier problems such as high pressure fuel pump failure, cylinder 3 injector failure, water pump leakage etc before my gearbox mechatronic failure.

So ya, its back to torque converters for me as far as gearbox is concerned....and also, no more French cars please.😁

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Qtm550 said:

Very good price, highly recommend you to buy.

but before you buy... you might want to check out the Skoda Superb. Same company, same platform (it’s basically a Passat on the inside), larger rear legroom -it feels like a limousine back there, and it’s cheaper. It’s just a little too ugly for me... but that’s personal taste.

Neutral Newbie
30 minutes ago, clickb8 said:

Very good price, highly recommend you to buy.

but before you buy... you might want to check out the Skoda Superb. Same company, same platform (it’s basically a Passat on the inside), larger rear legroom -it feels like a limousine back there, and it’s cheaper. It’s just a little too ugly for me... but that’s personal taste.

Thanks and i also prefer the Passat look .

2 hours ago, Qtm550 said:

Hi, so is it 111k or 119k?

Hope u get a good deal

Neutral Newbie
50 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Hi, so is it 111k or 119k?

Hope u get a good deal

Its in fact 118K after all discounts 🙂

• Praise 1

5 minutes ago, Qtm550 said:

Its in fact 118K after all discounts 🙂

Still the lowest price seen/reported

1 hour ago, Lotr said:

Still the lowest price seen/reported

Actually their Basic cost ard 92k

so depend how u can bargain further. Normally a dealer need to make at least 20k for such class car

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Somehow alot ppl stare at my superb. Everyday 

Because it’s not a common car.... doesn’t mean it’s pretty 😬

• Haha! 2

Neutral Newbie
10 minutes ago, clickb8 said:

Because it’s not a common car.... doesn’t mean it’s pretty 😬

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder 🙂

• Praise 1

Hi all, newbie here. I am seriously looking at CL and HL coz of stock clearing B8 series by VW. 
The thread has been very insightful to read.
Can advice me if there is any issues with DSG or B8.

Generally how is the ride since owing the Passat B8.

I tested drive Q50 and B8, I find the leg room and quieter drive from the Passat.

Also what freebies should I ask for from SE before signing the dotted line.

12 minutes ago, Dukelikecars said:

Hi all, newbie here. I am seriously looking at CL and HL coz of stock clearing B8 series by VW. 
The thread has been very insightful to read.
Can advice me if there is any issues with DSG or B8.

Generally how is the ride since owing the Passat B8.

I tested drive Q50 and B8, I find the leg room and quieter drive from the Passat.

Also what freebies should I ask for from SE before signing the dotted line.

Your question is simple, but the answer is long, so bear with me here a bit.

Firstly, DSG.

Pros: Responsive and more efficient, giving you more power and fuel saving.
Cons: You need to change your way of driving, because it is not a torque converter. Think of it as a manual, so you need to take care of it like one. E.g. don't let it half clutch and inch forward, etc, else you will pay tuition fees through repair and replacement (e.g. clutch pack). Regular maintenance is very important; you take care of the DSG, the DSG take care of you. There are a lot of people who tell you DSG no good and not reliable, but if you do your homework, you'll also find that a lot of Toyota torque converters, Nissan CVTs, Ford DCTs, etc. also break down, and repair fee also a few thousand dollars. By the way, now got VW DSG recall announced, so at least they're recalling all the DSGs to fix for free, even for those no more warranty.

B8: The VW 1.8 TSI engine is known to consume engine oil. If you lucky, good for you. Not lucky, always carry a bottle of engine oil to top up when it tells you engine oil low. Until one fine day you no choice, rebuild engine. At least $5k to rebuild if you go outside workshop. The 2.0 engine not so much problem, so get the 2.0 if you can. Else, fingers crossed. It's a design and manufacturing issue.

Ride: If you're comparing to an asian car, no fight, B8 sure win. If you compare to a Merc e-class, well, Merc of course better, but at what price?

Leg room and quieter drive: Have you considered the Skoda Superb? Same technology and platform as the B8, but the legroom so much better. Cabin noise also very similar. Many parts also share with VW/Audi.

Suggest you just walk over and look see the Superb first before sign dotted line. After all, it's in the same showroom.

• Praise 4

Thanks Shoebox for the advice and insight.
I drove VW Passat 1.8T bought about 18 years ago 2nd hand drove her for 5 years. Did not have any issues with. Used to Silvertronic as workshop.
Thanks for the Skoda recommendations.

• Praise 1

On 6/24/2020 at 3:00 PM, Shoebox said:

Your question is simple, but the answer is long, so bear with me here a bit.

Firstly, DSG.

Pros: Responsive and more efficient, giving you more power and fuel saving.
Cons: You need to change your way of driving, because it is not a torque converter. Think of it as a manual, so you need to take care of it like one. E.g. don't let it half clutch and inch forward, etc, else you will pay tuition fees through repair and replacement (e.g. clutch pack). Regular maintenance is very important; you take care of the DSG, the DSG take care of you. There are a lot of people who tell you DSG no good and not reliable, but if you do your homework, you'll also find that a lot of Toyota torque converters, Nissan CVTs, Ford DCTs, etc. also break down, and repair fee also a few thousand dollars. By the way, now got VW DSG recall announced, so at least they're recalling all the DSGs to fix for free, even for those no more warranty.

B8: The VW 1.8 TSI engine is known to consume engine oil. If you lucky, good for you. Not lucky, always carry a bottle of engine oil to top up when it tells you engine oil low. Until one fine day you no choice, rebuild engine. At least $5k to rebuild if you go outside workshop. The 2.0 engine not so much problem, so get the 2.0 if you can. Else, fingers crossed. It's a design and manufacturing issue.

Ride: If you're comparing to an asian car, no fight, B8 sure win. If you compare to a Merc e-class, well, Merc of course better, but at what price?

Leg room and quieter drive: Have you considered the Skoda Superb? Same technology and platform as the B8, but the legroom so much better. Cabin noise also very similar. Many parts also share with VW/Audi.

Suggest you just walk over and look see the Superb first before sign dotted line. After all, it's in the same showroom.

Agree with what Shoebox said. It’s not so bad getting used to the DSG driving style - there are many YouTube videos and online guides that teach you the basic things to avoid. The toughest one is probably to resist creeping forward in the singapore traffic, but as long as you’re patient and don’t mind people cutting into your lane when a gap opens up, you’ll be fine 😂

DSG and car no problems so far after 1.5 years, drive remains comfortable. VW service has been helpful and reasonable whenever I bring it back for minor stuff - body stains (my car is white), punctured tyres, etc. Just a note that the recent DSG recall is for pre-2015 models. I think B8 Passats are still ok.

Yes check out the Superb too. I think Passat is prettier to look at, but Superb has the edge in terms of value and space.

• Praise 2

36 minutes ago, clickb8 said:

Agree with what Shoebox said. It’s not so bad getting used to the DSG driving style - there are many YouTube videos and online guides that teach you the basic things to avoid. The toughest one is probably to resist creeping forward in the singapore traffic, but as long as you’re patient and don’t mind people cutting into your lane when a gap opens up, you’ll be fine 😂

DSG and car no problems so far after 1.5 years, drive remains comfortable. VW service has been helpful and reasonable whenever I bring it back for minor stuff - body stains (my car is white), punctured tyres, etc. Just a note that the recent DSG recall is for pre-2015 models. I think B8 Passats are still ok.

Yes check out the Superb too. I think Passat is prettier to look at, but Superb has the edge in terms of value and space.

How about multi storey carpark? Any precautions to protect the DSG?

Now driving an auto and may switch to a DSG.

When driving my auto in multi storey, I find that I will accelerate to a certain speed and then tap brake or just let go accelerator just before approaching the up ramp. Then at mid ramp, accelerate a bit and then let go of accelerator just before reaching the top of the ramp and then turn.

Wonder if driven this way, will the DSG be damaged in the long run? Or is it unavoidable?

↡ Advertisement