Dilemma between the Jag XE, Merc CLA250SB & BMW 330i(F30)

mcs08

It's ironic, the CLA200 Shooting Brake was one of the cars I considered very seriously.

Me too, it was the 1st of the 3 to test drive. Didnt test the actual 250 as there was no cla250sb for testing. A250's also not available on that day.

↡ Advertisement

go with your heart and gut feel.

personally i will choose the Jag - just on feel alone.

Merc and Bimmer.. too common. Jag feels classy.

Will like advice from fellow car enthusiasts for advice on the 3 cars:

Which will you put your money in and why? (Thanks for giving me your reason!)

I am aware that the 3 of them belong to different categories but their prices are pretty similar and imho, they all look good and each one with their individual ups & downs. WHICH is WHY I am caught in a dilemma in which to get.

I had also test driven them, except the CLA250(not available for test drive) and am loving how the Jag handles and how wonderful the pull of the BMW is.  Test driven the CLA180SB, underpowered and am not a fan of FWD, especially so for wagon driving.

For my needs, it's basically a 4-5door family-type of car with a fun aspect, definitely.

Not too shabby a price when I sell in 3-4years time. 

Jaguar XE

cc94f130-b5ab-4512-9bbf-7ca55c361bdd.jpg  

CLA 250 Shooting Brake

9a04a03a-ac6e-4294-b28e-75ab92d7dae2.jpg

BMW 330i, F30

ea1b8360-7224-4c1f-8aeb-921b1df80c93.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your helpful inputs!

• Praise 1

I know this is crappy advice, but I will suggest you to keep visiting the 3 showrooms to touch, smell, look at the DRL/head-lights, and test-drive these cars until you find the one which you really fancy. Also bring your spouse along to provide feedback on the ride behind. You have to be a little thick-skinned to do this, but for the money you are going to spend, it's totally worth it.

However, do take note when you read UK car magazines or motoring programmes for comparison, there will be a bias towards Jaguar XE because they are very supportive of their own brands (although Jag is owned by Tata, an India-based group). This is natural so just take it with a pinch of salt. Local magazines are even worse because they only ever write about good stuff. Hence, rely on your own test-drives or feedbacks from direct owners to form your opinion. 

I agreed with you that choosing a car is never easy, more so in a country that makes car ownership so expensive. Good luck with your choice bro!

Thank bro Weez911 for your advice! I'll probably visit them for a 2nd time, i think. haha!

As for spouse, her choice is XE. The design of the XE is really appealing to a larger crowd than the Merc & Bimmer.

True about car magazines reviews, they all have their 'priorities'. They ARE getting paid to review the rides. 

Problem is, there aren't many XE or SB owners around. There seems to be more owners going for the diesel version of the XE instead of the petrol one.

Previously, it was simple.

Merc - Eeeek, very ah pek

Jag - Waaaa, expensive lehh

BMW(with some money, that is) - ok, let's do it! hahahaha!

• Praise 1

Thank bro Weez911 for your advice! I'll probably visit them for a 2nd time, i think. haha!

As for spouse, her choice is XE. The design of the XE is really appealing to a larger crowd than the Merc & Bimmer.

True about car magazines reviews, they all have their 'priorities'. They ARE getting paid to review the rides. 

Problem is, there aren't many XE or SB owners around. There seems to be more owners going for the diesel version of the XE instead of the petrol one.

Previously, it was simple.

Merc - Eeeek, very ah pek

Jag - Waaaa, expensive lehh

BMW(with some money, that is) - ok, let's do it! hahahaha!

There is a jaguar forum in Singapore.  Some of them have bought the XE and have reviewed it.

• Praise 2

The Jag is out if resale value is really that important to you.

Mind you, they are not even pushing more than 20 units combined for most months even with the launch of the new XE and XF.... when you wanna sell..... just be prepared to be low balled.

Yes, it is nice looking, the drive is good, but in my view, just marginal at best over the other two. 

Go with your feel, just be prepared to lose extra 15k more if you try to dispose of the Jag 3 years down the road. There is a price to pay for being exclusive hor.

But I think you can afford it la. Shopping in this bracket. Go with FEEL........

Personally I will not take any of these 3. The 4GC is a better bet. Looks the best. Bar none. I nearly book it but settled for the C at the end. I old man, interior beauty more important.

[:p]  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Forget about the XE if u frequently have passengers at the back or a baby seat. Passenger room and the small rear door openings are horrendous.

• Praise 1

There is a jaguar forum in Singapore.  Some of them have bought the XE and have reviewed it.

Yep, have been following it since my test drive. Currently, there are 2 reviews on the petrol version of the XE. 

Forget about the XE if u frequently have passengers at the back or a baby seat. Passenger room and the small rear door openings are horrendous.

Nope, I don't really ferry passengers in the back most of the time.  [:)]

But I do need back seats for the 'just in case' times.  

The Jag is out if resale value is really that important to you.

Mind you, they are not even pushing more than 20 units combined for most months even with the launch of the new XE and XF.... when you wanna sell..... just be prepared to be low balled.

Yes, it is nice looking, the drive is good, but in my view, just marginal at best over the other two. 

Go with your feel, just be prepared to lose extra 15k more if you try to dispose of the Jag 3 years down the road. There is a price to pay for being exclusive hor.

But I think you can afford it la. Shopping in this bracket. Go with FEEL........

Personally I will not take any of these 3. The 4GC is a better bet. Looks the best. Bar none. I nearly book it but settled for the C at the end. I old man, interior beauty more important.

[:p]  [laugh]

Thanks! I do also like the 4series. With options included, i'm sure it'll cost more than the V6 Jag  :a-censored:

Mercedes do have a nice interior, no denying that fact. The 3series' interior is really kind of blahhhhhh. 

• Praise 1

Oh GRan coupe yah

6 GC also nice. Nvr fail to turn my head when i see them

6GC looks better than the 4GC ... look much more balance.

The 4GC looks good only in certain colour ....

Between the 3, forget about the CLA. Different class all together,

Between XE and 330i, very tight decision but I would still choose the 330i ... mainly becos the other car is a JAG.

Edited by Civic6228
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

Me too, it was the 1st of the 3 to test drive. Didnt test the actual 250 as there was no cla250sb for testing. A250's also not available on that day.

I strongly recommended my other key decision maker away from CLA200SB due to:

Significantly higher price (versus other options considering at time)

Somewhat unappealing equipment and safety spec (no COMAND, single color ambient lighting, no panoroof unless certain units)

Poor headroom in the back, even with the SB body

Awkward rear pillar look due to how the rear windows curve downward early (just like in the "coupe")

I admit I didn't go for test drive, but there are enough complaints about this "lowered comfort suspension" for me

Reviews do not praise CLA's overall handling

No Intelligent Light System as standard.

Resale will likely be significantly more difficult than CLA saloon as the SB body is not a typical design

Steering wheel, like other right-hand-drive Benzes, is not straight. It is tilted towards the door.

CLA is still one of Benz's lower end models so the interior quality is just not of the same standard.

The ride quality does not meet the Benz standard despite the price. Rather spend extra for C200.

However, the CLA200SB does have some pros:

Above average fuel efficiency

Decent cargo space due to estate style

Powered tailgate

Stylish appearance, for most, but I just think it looks okay only. But i prefer the SB to the "coupe".

Strong brand image.

Appealing interior design, but the one-piece-back bucket-style seats are like or dislike

Out of this lineup I would actually vote for Jaguar XE, but a practical person would take the BMW as it is a very competent car in all quantifiable aspects while having good holding value down the line. The XE is simply too much of a new thing for it to be clear if it will have good resales later on.

As other have mentioned, the 4GC is a lovely car as well. I love the liftback, but I was put off by the lack of adaptive headlamps until you get to the top spec 435i. Same issue with 335i GT, and those are quite pricey imo.

• Praise 2

Between the 3 I would go for jaguar XE

I would go for Audi A6 with your budget.

Audi A6 1.8L - 215k before dist

Above all its more spacious than all 3 which you're considering.

Edited by Lchong
  • Praise 2

I strongly recommended my other key decision maker away from CLA200SB due to:

Significantly higher price (versus other options considering at time)

Somewhat unappealing equipment and safety spec (no COMAND, single color ambient lighting, no panoroof unless certain units)

Poor headroom in the back, even with the SB body

Awkward rear pillar look due to how the rear windows curve downward early (just like in the "coupe")

I admit I didn't go for test drive, but there are enough complaints about this "lowered comfort suspension" for me

Reviews do not praise CLA's overall handling

No Intelligent Light System as standard.

Resale will likely be significantly more difficult than CLA saloon as the SB body is not a typical design

Steering wheel, like other right-hand-drive Benzes, is not straight. It is tilted towards the door.

CLA is still one of Benz's lower end models so the interior quality is just not of the same standard.

The ride quality does not meet the Benz standard despite the price. Rather spend extra for C200.

However, the CLA200SB does have some pros:

Above average fuel efficiency

Decent cargo space due to estate style

Powered tailgate

Stylish appearance, for most, but I just think it looks okay only. But i prefer the SB to the "coupe".

Strong brand image.

Appealing interior design, but the one-piece-back bucket-style seats are like or dislike

Out of this lineup I would actually vote for Jaguar XE, but a practical person would take the BMW as it is a very competent car in all quantifiable aspects while having good holding value down the line. The XE is simply too much of a new thing for it to be clear if it will have good resales later on.

As other have mentioned, the 4GC is a lovely car as well. I love the liftback, but I was put off by the lack of adaptive headlamps until you get to the top spec 435i. Same issue with 335i GT, and those are quite pricey imo.

Thank you bro 7hm for the detailed analysis! 

The SB, after adding in numerous options, is really the cheapest of the 3. XE, with minimal options added, being the most ex. 

Between the 3 I would go for jaguar XE

I would go for Audi A6 with your budget.

Audi A6 1.8L - 215k before dist

Above all its more spacious than all 3 which you're considering.

I feel that the A6 is under-powered when compared to the other 3. Have yet to test drive it, but at 190hp, I doubt it is sufficient for its heavy body. Furthermore, I do not want to go with a Fwd for now :) Top of my preferred drive-train is definitely RWD

U already owned a Merc, so why not try something new. 

Wife will be taking the Merc when her license conversion is done  [:p]

Turbocharged

Oh ya... to be more exact, I believe the CLA SB's resale value will not be much worse than the standard CLA, in fact it might fetch a better price.

The problem is finding the buyers, as the market pool of estate-style car buyers is very, very small in SG.

Thank you bro 7hm for the detailed analysis!

The SB, after adding in numerous options, is really the cheapest of the 3. XE, with minimal options added, being the most ex.

I feel that the A6 is under-powered when compared to the other 3. Have yet to test drive it, but at 190hp, I doubt it is sufficient for its heavy body. Furthermore, I do not want to go with a Fwd for now :) Top of my preferred drive-train is definitely RWD

Wife will be taking the Merc when her license conversion is done [:p]

Bro, please bear with some forummers here. I understand it can be a bit frustrating when you ask D24 better or Mao Shan Wang, and people recommend Sri Lanka crabs to you. People here are very helpful one.

Bro, please bear with some forummers here. I understand it can be a bit frustrating when you ask D24 better or Mao Shan Wang, and people recommend Sri Lanka crabs to you. People here are very helpful one.

hahaha! No problem. It ain't a super straightforward choice anyway.

Till now, I gathered that more are leaning towards the XE followed by 330i and lastly, CLA250SB. 

Till now, I gathered that more are leaning towards the XE followed by 330i and lastly, CLA250SB. 

Rather than what forumer think, i would suggest you go showroom as much as possible with all stakeholders to try out until song song.

• Praise 1

If it helps. SE just told me that if you buy around the motor show period, they will give free lifetime servicing.

This is for the XE

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1