Dilemma between the Jag XE, Merc CLA250SB & BMW 330i(F30)

mcs08

Oh ya... to be more exact, I believe the CLA SB's resale value will not be much worse than the standard CLA, in fact it might fetch a better price.

The problem is finding the buyers, as the market pool of estate-style car buyers is very, very small in SG.

Yes, I understand for the SB, it's sort of a love or hate thing. 

Estate vehicles are more sought after in other countries than here where they buy bigger items and bring it home by themselves. Maybe singaporeans rather utilise the delivery services, minus the carrying/lifting hassle involved. Kind of like what i usually do!

Considering the SB is not on a 'need to' basis but purely on a 'like the uniqueness' basis. Also the fact that it is the cheapest of the 3

↡ Advertisement

with such pricing.. why not consider .. E200 520i or A6...much bigger 

young and rich wont drive those ............ no Ohmp feel  :XD:

• Praise 4

Estate vehicles are more sought after in other countries than here where they buy bigger items and bring it home by themselves. Maybe singaporeans rather utilise the delivery services, minus the carrying/lifting hassle involved. Kind of like what i usually do!

Considering the SB is not on a 'need to' basis but purely on a 'like the uniqueness' basis. Also the fact that it is the cheapest of the 3

if you wan SB .... CLS will be better 

• Praise 5

If it helps. SE just told me that if you buy around the motor show period, they will give free lifetime servicing.

This is for the XE

Serious?! :blink: When's the motor show? 

Lifetime 'full' servicing or basic oil/filter? It's not like I'll drive it for a full 10years anyway, but it should help with the resale price later on.

young and rich wont drive those ............ no Ohmp feel  :XD:

:mellow: Me's Not young & Not rich la! But i do like the Ohmpssssss!

The E200/520i/A6 is just not my kind of car.

Serious?! :blink: When's the motor show? 

Lifetime 'full' servicing or basic oil/filter? It's not like I'll drive it for a full 10years anyway, but it should help with the resale price later on.

Motorshow 14-17 Jan. But I think if you get now can request for it.

The message I got was quote exact words "lifetime free servicing". Suspect its just basic servicing but you can call them to check or if you need I can PM you my SE contact.

• Praise 1

Of the 3, it is the CLA250SB that appeal to me most.....

I think you're the 1st in this thread who likes the SB best! hahaha!

Motorshow 14-17 Jan. But I think if you get now can request for it.

The message I got was quote exact words "lifetime free servicing". Suspect its just basic servicing but you can call them to check or if you need I can PM you my SE contact.

No worries, I can ask my SE about this also.

If he says 'no', he will be losing my business.

You can PM me your quoted price though [:p]

• Praise 1

Cant agree more on the CLA SB

The look is a very individual thing 

But the ride is harsh and no full leather

Tested the XE, thought engine is noiser than expected but the handling and general ride is good but not very much better than the basic 3 series.

At the end of the day price makes a major difference bec we have to ask ourselves for the price, whether we can find a better alternative in another model 

I strongly recommended my other key decision maker away from CLA200SB due to:

Significantly higher price (versus other options considering at time)

Somewhat unappealing equipment and safety spec (no COMAND, single color ambient lighting, no panoroof unless certain units)

Poor headroom in the back, even with the SB body

Awkward rear pillar look due to how the rear windows curve downward early (just like in the "coupe")

I admit I didn't go for test drive, but there are enough complaints about this "lowered comfort suspension" for me

Reviews do not praise CLA's overall handling

No Intelligent Light System as standard.

Resale will likely be significantly more difficult than CLA saloon as the SB body is not a typical design

Steering wheel, like other right-hand-drive Benzes, is not straight. It is tilted towards the door.

CLA is still one of Benz's lower end models so the interior quality is just not of the same standard.

The ride quality does not meet the Benz standard despite the price. Rather spend extra for C200.

However, the CLA200SB does have some pros:

Above average fuel efficiency

Decent cargo space due to estate style

Powered tailgate

Stylish appearance, for most, but I just think it looks okay only. But i prefer the SB to the "coupe".

Strong brand image.

Appealing interior design, but the one-piece-back bucket-style seats are like or dislike

Out of this lineup I would actually vote for Jaguar XE, but a practical person would take the BMW as it is a very competent car in all quantifiable aspects while having good holding value down the line. The XE is simply too much of a new thing for it to be clear if it will have good resales later on.

As other have mentioned, the 4GC is a lovely car as well. I love the liftback, but I was put off by the lack of adaptive headlamps until you get to the top spec 435i. Same issue with 335i GT, and those are quite pricey imo.

Don't have to wait for motorshow

Free lifetime servicing for XE starts NOW!

With new pricing at least 10k lower than previous listed price

If it helps. SE just told me that if you buy around the motor show period, they will give free lifetime servicing.

This is for the XE

• Praise 4

Turbocharged

for me, I wanted estate so I can carry bicycles inside the car and load them easily... you know, in case it rain along the way, or something, or at least inside the car they cannot fall off. Hahaha. In a very odd way, it actually makes the CLA250SB my personal preferred car in this lineup. I also like it because it's unique... not like 3-series, lagi everywhere liao.

But in the end, I wound up with a conventional saloon boot. [sweatdrop]

But, alamak, CLA, another big con for it is the blardy visibility. Rear visibility in that thing is horrible, even with the SB's larger window. The way the D-pillars are so thick (due to the way the glass cuts downward early) makes it even worse.

Have you considered looking for the C200 though? It's not much difference in price in this range...

Tested the XE, thought engine is noiser than expected but the handling and general ride is good but not very much better than the basic 3 series.

At the end of the day price makes a major difference bec we have to ask ourselves for the price, whether we can find a better alternative in another model

Are they still offering only that 2.0L gasoline engine for the XE? Because if they are, it's not particularly good choice imo until the Ingenium Gasoline versions arrive. Though imho if I were buying an XE I'd buy the Ingenium diesel. Haha.

Heck, that old 2.0L engine they brought in for the initial rounds of XE is the same as my 2.0L EcoBoost!

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 1

For estate the upcoming volvo V90 looks really nice.  [:p]

• Praise 1

for me, I wanted estate so I can carry bicycles inside the car and load them easily... you know, in case it rain along the way, or something, or at least inside the car they cannot fall off. Hahaha. In a very odd way, it actually makes the CLA250SB my personal preferred car in this lineup. I also like it because it's unique... not like 3-series, lagi everywhere liao.

But in the end, I wound up with a conventional saloon boot. [sweatdrop]

But, alamak, CLA, another big con for it is the blardy visibility. Rear visibility in that thing is horrible, even with the SB's larger window. The way the D-pillars are so thick (due to the way the glass cuts downward early) makes it even worse.

Have you considered looking for the C200 though? It's not much difference in price in this range...

Are they still offering only that 2.0L gasoline engine for the XE? Because if they are, it's not particularly good choice imo until the Ingenium Gasoline versions arrive. Though imho if I were buying an XE I'd buy the Ingenium diesel. Haha.

Heck, that old 2.0L engine they brought in for the initial rounds of XE is the same as my 2.0L EcoBoost!

Yes, the f30 is everywhere practically. To opt for the bimmer, I'll definitely add in the MSport package as well.

Are you driving a CLA? How is it? Which engine size?

Not considering the C class, I don't like the new look...+ I got the w204, of which I do like the look of it.

Yes, also, they are only still offering the 2.0 petrol engine. Engine size, I'm fine with, it's the detuned engine that I have some issue with. It's only producing 197hp, of which the same engine has a 237hp one! Not going to be available in Sg, apparently. So, I'm not surprised if the engine IS 2.0 EcoBoost!

For estate the upcoming volvo V90 looks really nice. [:p]

Volvo...lagi difficult to resell, ain't it?

Cant agree more on the CLA SB

The look is a very individual thing 

But the ride is harsh and no full leather

Don't have to wait for motorshow

Free lifetime servicing for XE starts NOW!

With new pricing at least 10k lower than previous listed price

free lifetime serving is calculated risk.. generally ppl change car is like every 5years.. so they know they only maybe liable for 5years and not the actual 10years. better check if the free service is transferable.. which i doubt so.

Volvo got AWD as well. [laugh]

Actually I prefer RWD to AWD. [:p]

Not too sure about the volvo, but some AWD are actually FWD with enhancements to AWD. These I will consider as still FWD. Haha. Audi and VW come to mind immediately.

Yes, the f30 is everywhere practically. To opt for the bimmer, I'll definitely add in the MSport package as well.

Are you driving a CLA? How is it? Which engine size?

Not considering the C class, I don't like the new look...+ I got the w204, of which I do like the look of it.

Yes, also, they are only still offering the 2.0 petrol engine. Engine size, I'm fine with, it's the detuned engine that I have some issue with. It's only producing 197hp, of which the same engine has a 237hp one! Not going to be available in Sg, apparently. So, I'm not surprised if the engine IS 2.0 EcoBoost!

Volvo...lagi difficult to resell, ain't it?

Is it detuned for tropical weather? Many engines in SEA, even taiwan, are detuned to some extent from their european/north american counterparts.

I was considering between the BMW 420GC and CLA250SB. In the end I chose the CLA250SB with other options. In the 2016 models, they have the dynamic damping option as well. 

↡ Advertisement