Teachers may soon have to pay to park in schools.

Friendstar

"Star Light, Star Bright" is a nursery rhyme that waaaaay predated Madonna lah. :D

Yes even used in quite a handful of american scary movies and books but highly popularised by Madonna in this part of the world

Would you pay $1000+ for her concert?

Nope unless i am on stage

I am sure she can invite you as special guest.

MCFers will be there to support you.

:)

Yes even used in quite a handful of american scary movies and books but highly popularised by Madonna in this part of the world

Nope unless i am on stage

Teachers may soon have to pay to park in schools.

The Straits Times understands that the Ministry of Education (MOE) is looking into whether public schools should continue to not charge staff for parking space in school compounds. Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao had reported on Thursday that the ministry has been discussing the issue since the start of last year.

Currently, all public service organisations, including the Education Ministry, charge parking fees at their offices. But parking remains free at the primary and secondary schools and the junior colleges. Only school staff are allowed to park in schools.

Last year, the Auditor-General Office's (AGO) report highlighted how the Institute of Technical Education (ITE), the Singapore Polytechnic (SP) and the Temasek Polytechnic (TP) were not imposing parking charges, or charging below market rate, for the use of their car parks. The report said such practices "are tantamount to providing hidden subsidies for vehicle parking".

The report pointed out that ITE did not charge users for its car park, and the estimated amount of parking fees forgone was $66,000 a month.

According to the report, SP implemented paid parking only in May 2013, but parking continued to be free for motorcycles. Parking was also free for those who parked their vehicles at the staff apartment car park. Of those who were charged for parking, some users, such as the poly's staff, tenants, and contractors, paid below the market rate.

At TP, which started charging for parking in June 2014, it capped its daily car park charges at $1.50 for staff, and $6.00 for other users, resulting in some users paying below market rate, the report went on.

Both the polys and the ITE had to review their parking charges.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ok#xtor=CS1-10

so how about those that drive and park in Police Station, Fire station etc ???? and the list goes on....

so how about those that drive and park in Police Station, Fire station etc ???? and the list goes on....

For your information, they paid parking fee in their stations. Open space parking and covered parking different rates.

I paid $45/- per month (open space) the last time and had since retired from service (8 yrs leow). Don't know how much they charge now ?

Covered car park or basement car park used to cost $90 per vehicle.  :lll._.:

• Praise 1

I'm not a teacher nor a staff in any school but hello ... what's the problem with free parking for teachers/staff of school ???  [smash]  [confused]

I'm working in private sector and know of some companies who provide transport allowance, parking subsidy, etc ... as a benefit (only for certain level of employees). 

I think those teachers/staff who drive to school must be fuming mad at such suggestion by person X ....  [bounce1]

If this goes through, very well I think the next govt organization to implement is SAF ... paid parking in all SAF camps even for reservist ...   [sweatdrop]  

Free parking is like raiding the reserves; nearing to treason. 

• Praise 3

I don't agree with the rationale.  why purposely charge something just to be equitable to others in the same employment when parking space in primary and sec and perhaps even jc are usually plentiful and mostly located outside prime area?

parking charges is a tool to manage usage of limited resources.  as far as I know, parking in pri, sec and perhaps jc are plentiful because only the teachers drive but not the students.  plus because most such schools are located away from prime area, there is also little risk of abuse of parking space from parents, outsiders, visitors and the like.

in the real world, there is nothing really equitable.  so I don't see the logic to implement parking charges just for equity sake.  if they are so concerned about being equitable, why don't they reduce the minister and perm sec salaries to be in line with what others earned in other parts of the world since they are in the same industry of benchmark.

• Praise 18

I am sure she can invite you as special guest.

MCFers will be there to support you.

:)

I think you got me all wrong

That does nothing for me

I am a very simple guy who doesnt enjoy limelight nor rubbing shoulders with celebrities

I just live a very simple life keeping true to my beliefs and principles and ensuring that i dont hv to stretch out my hand to ask for help.

You already know that i dine often in a kopitiam right?

I don't agree with the rationale. why purposely charge something just to be equitable to others in the same employment when parking space in primary and sec and perhaps even jc are usually plentiful and mostly located outside prime area?

parking charges is a tool to manage usage of limited resources. as far as I know, parking in pri, sec and perhaps jc are plentiful because only the teachers drive but not the students. plus because most such schools are located away from prime area, there is also little risk of abuse of parking space from parents, outsiders, visitors and the like.

in the real world, there is nothing really equitable. so I don't see the logic to implement parking charges just for equity sake. if they are so concerned about being equitable, why don't they reduce the minister and perm sec salaries to be in line with what others earned in other parts of the world since they are in the same industry of benchmark.

Support you there

• Praise 1

"The report said such practices "are tantamount to providing hidden subsidies for vehicle parking".

The report pointed out that ITE did not charge users for its car park, and the estimated amount of parking fees forgone was $66,000 a month."

The report is contradicting. First it mention that free parking tantamount to providing hidden subsidies and the next sentence is amount of money forgone. So which is which and which is more important?

Is the Auditor doing a job simply for the sake of doing job? Always remember, the culture we have develop and shape come from the way the system (at the very top) behaves. Do not blame that peasant that the commoners are calculative, likes to complain, kiasu, kiasi, kia-complain, kia-sue, and the kia kia kia. Sad that Auditor cannot even stand up and fight for rights/priviledges for own peers (same pay master) and have to resort to market rate and market/private practice as the yardstick.

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Praise 1

Want quality education for all children but small little favour of free parking inside school compound cannot.... :a-bang:

So if teachers give up driving to school and couple with MRT breakdown, student will loose out for not having any teachers during the first one or two periods. (cos teachers still on the way or stuck in MRT).

Sometimes teachers have to attend meetings during curriculum time and they can teach until their very last period so that he/she can drive to the meeting immediately when their periods end.

If they don't drive, they will leave 3 or 4 periods early just to beat the peak hours traffic or getting to the meeting place early.

So " Who Loose Out ? "

Teachers are also parents themselves and they too needs to sent their kids to school and then proceed to their own. And taken away this privilege would results of more to resign to become full time housewives.Then we have shortage of teachers again... [sweatdrop] 

Interesting.

Do ppl choose their jobs based on if they can have free parking at their workplace?

yeap, next time collect entrance fee for everyone who walks in, including students, teachers, parents and curious onlookers.

and make sure to collect money for using toilet as well.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

The current discussion goes like this...

The current message is: MOE HQ staff, please go to schools if you want to enjoy free parking.

With paid parking in schools, MOE HQ staff will not be tempted to ask to go to schools to enjoy free parking.

Really?

They got their priorities wrong. MOE, please focus on our children's education - this is your job, your job is not car park auntie. LTA, please focus on fixing public transport and improving traffic, not private parking.

They got their priorities wrong. MOE, please focus on our children's education - this is your job, your job is not car park auntie. LTA, please focus on fixing public transport and improving traffic, not private parking.

Bro, this is not MOE's fault. AGO is the agency that raised this point to MOE, and now MOE has to act.

In this case, I think AGO is following the rules of public monies. I don't know how material is this "hidden subsidy" though... [rifle]

post-100773-0-78886400-1452218072_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weez911
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6