Teachers may soon have to pay to park in schools.

Friendstar

I think what AGO is trying to do is to apply standard rules across the civil service sector - parking in public buildings have to pay, regardless of rank and appointments and ministry.

I think nowadays the teachers are paid well enough to be able to afford parking fees lah.

↡ Advertisement

Govt is going all out to milk $$ anywhere it can from parking, almost all HDB carpark are by cashcard/ IU (season)  and even hospitals too; They have become very overkill and using this system systematically to their favour to also rely less on security guards (since teachers IU will be on record- season parking) and they guards have to only open for outsiders and visitors only ; Bloody cost is going up and up everywhere and they dont want to share it back anytime;              

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 2

Well, I have just a couple of small questions to ask.

Do any or all of these guys and gals (http://www.ago.gov.sg/about-us/senior-management):

attachicon.gifsenior-mgt-001.jpg

enjoy free or subsidised parking at their place of work? (and keep in mind that this is the heart of town we're talking about).

Do they get a reimbursement for travelling (transport and/or parking) to different places during their auditing duties, which no doubt take them places all over Singapore?

That's all I want to know.

I think minimum need to charge $500/lot at such prime area. ITE AMK also want to charge parking, CBD definitely must charge gao gao.

I think what AGO is trying to do is to apply standard rules across the civil service sector - parking in public buildings have to pay, regardless of rank and appointments and ministry.

I think nowadays the teachers are paid well enough to be able to afford parking fees lah.

so make them pay for parking $90/month, then increase their pay by $90 and say got pay rise  [laugh]

• Praise 2

Twincharged

For your information, they paid parking fee in their stations. Open space parking and covered parking different rates.

I paid $45/- per month (open space) the last time and had since retired from service (8 yrs leow). Don't know how much they charge now ?

Covered car park or basement car park used to cost $90 per vehicle.  :lll._.:

Army camp still free leh. When i was NSF, used to drive in if have to book in early or got range and I know will end at those kind of weird timings.

I think minimum need to charge $500/lot at such prime area. ITE AMK also want to charge parking, CBD definitely must charge gao gao.

so make them pay for parking $90/month, then increase their pay by $90 and say got pay rise  [laugh]

....i am not all that surprise if they will to charge us for using the LIft in our HDB in future...

Interesting.

Do ppl choose their jobs based on if they can have free parking at their workplace?

the question now is will teacher quit the job if the school start charging?

Not to mention, it is common practice for teachers to bring stacks/plastic bags of exercise books home for marking.  Give them a break.  Similar to .....dont be against for the sake of being against.........please dont implement this (when there isnt a need to) just for the sake of equity.

• Praise 4

Supercharged

Whoever in the AGO suggested this had a good intention (i'm not related to AGO and I don't have friends / relatives / family working in AGO). There is a potential loophole since parking in school / ITE / Poly / NTU / NUS compound can be a source of corruption. One reliable complaint from public is enough for CPIB to start an investigation.

However my point is, MOE with so many scholars are so kiasi that the first thing comes to mind is PAY MONEY. It truly reflects the money-minded mentality of our social were TAUGHT and not FROM PARENTS since it is coming from OUR NATIONAL EDUCATION MINISTRY!!

They could just look into it and cleared it as a PRIVILEGE for educational staff (teachers, lecturers etc) maybe excludes the support staff. I don't think any right-minded people would mind the educational staff not paying for their parking at the place they are teaching. If they are going meeting at MOE or somewhere else then be my guest - charge all they want.

It is sad on how they are shaping Singapore's future leaders into money-minded machines... everything use MONEY to solve

everything is $$ here

SG has already lost its heart and soul.

And guess who will get the tender contract to manage and earn $$ from these schools' car park in the end?  It will be RAMKY.  and RAMKY belongs to who?

Mark what I said above. It will come true.

• Praise 2

so how about those that drive and park in Police Station, Fire station etc ???? and the list goes on....

Start with SAF.

Quit a job because of $90/month parking??? [shocked]

I got $200 pay cut starting from this year. Like that how? [:(][bigcry]

Army camp still free leh. When i was NSF, used to drive in if have to book in early or got range and I know will end at those kind of weird timings.

You have a car when you were SAF liao? So rich eh. Lol.

Edited by 13177
  • Praise 1

Interesting.

Do ppl choose their jobs based on if they can have free parking at their workplace?

To some extend yes... For me, basically when I get a job, I look for parking allowance and best if can get free parking... So far the jobs that I did... all FREE PARKING...  :grin:

Some might. And there are other possibilities/considerations.

Many will demand a pay rise to compensate. They may get it, but the money has to come from somewhere. Namely, our taxes. Now I don't have an issue with paying more to recruit and retrain quality teachers, but thinking the money goes to the coffers of parking companies subcontracted by the gahmen? That just sticks in my craw.

If they don't get a pay rise, some may give up their cars. And Singapore's public transport being the No. 1 World Class that it is, we can expect lots of unavoidable tardiness and disruption to class schedules.

And some may moonlight giving tuition even more so than they're doing now. Less focus on our children's education.

All in all, I don't see this as being anything close to a positive in an already beleaguered profession.

• Praise 5

Interesting.

Teachers would like to be posted nearer to their home but as we know, posting order comes from the very top. 

At most a teacher could be posted near to their home for a few years and thereafter, reside (turn around) to other schools when they get promoted in rank. Couldn't stay at one place too long... ^_^  

To some extend yes... For me, basically when I get a job, I look for parking allowance and best if can get free parking... So far the jobs that I did... all FREE PARKING...  :grin:

Usually free parking at workplace is when you work mostly in factory environment whereby your company has their own premises.

everything is $$ here

SG has already lost its heart and soul.

And guess who will get the tender contract to manage and earn $$ from these schools' car park in the end?  It will be RAMKY.  and RAMKY belongs to who?

Mark what I said above. It will come true.

RAMKY is not the only one but Wilson as well... I agree with all my heart and soul (if I still have one since I oso Sinkie  :TT_TT: )

For me, no leh.

I went from free parking job to ownself pay for parking job. The free parking job comes with free grit blasting on car. [dead]

↡ Advertisement