O level results coming out soon!

Mason016

Twincharged

So does a merit in Higher Chinese,. Maximum 4 bonus points if combine with CCA.

3rd language and affiliated schools also can get 2 bonus points each. But the maximum bonus points allowed is 4.

Was told if they dont take these 2 subject at O and score a minimum grade..

During A exam they will take 13 subjects........omgggggg.

And this boy is not in the top A class.....there are even smarter ones.

The top schools results all very good one la. I rmb in my school for our math, chinese and English, only 2 people got B3 and below. Damn embarrassing for them when the principal was talking about the results. Lol.

↡ Advertisement

this thread will slowly become popular over the next 5 years to 10 years i guess

the number of lao nangs in MCF not so many yet

:D

My gal loves animals....ngee ann and temasek poly offering veterinary course at 8 & 10pts respectively.

She is very motivated to do well in sec to aim for this.

The usual excuses of doing well for your own good, dont embarrsse your parents, aiming for the usual doctor lawyer banker business career is so boring and doesnt serve much motivations to kids nowsadays.....at least for my gal.

Futuremore our population going up. Childless couples and singles increasing. Sure a lot of animal lovers. Can charge cut throat prices if open vet shop.....earn tons of money....hahaha

Edited by Hiphiphoray

My gal loves animals....ngee ann and temasek poly offering veterinary course at 8 & 10pts respectively.

The usual excuses of doing well for your own good, dont embarrsse your parents, aiming for the usual doctor lawyer banker business career is so boring and doesnt serve much motivations to kids nowsadays.....at least for my gal.

Futuremore our population going up. Childless couples and singles increasing. Sure a lot of animal lovers. Can charge cut throat prices if open vet shop.....earn tons of money....hahaha

I concur ..... for me it is most important is to be "happy" .... Many parents are just too focus on their own expectations rather than what the child wants to do or like to do.

Does being a lawyer, doctor, banker equal happiness ?

My stand ... if the child knows what she/he wants to do and have strong interest in ... By all means go to the polytechnic for a relevant course.

The fact is that the easier path to the local Uni is still via the A level. For Poly grads to get to local Unit, the result has to be outstanding ... GPA of 4.0.

girl will usually know what they want to study, but not boy   [:/]

Twincharged

I concur ..... for me it is most important is to be "happy" .... Many parents are just too focus on their own expectations rather than what the child wants to do or like to do.

Does being a lawyer, doctor, banker equal happiness ?

My stand ... if the child knows what she/he wants to do and have strong interest in ... By all means go to the polytechnic for a relevant course.

The fact is that the easier path to the local Uni is still via the A level. For Poly grads to get to local Unit, the result has to be outstanding ... GPA of 4.0.

Nowadays no need so high GPA to get into local uni already. One of my poly mates with GPA of 2.8 managed to get into NTU. IIRC most of the engineering courses cut off was around 3-3.2.

Edited by Nzy

Nowadays no need so high GPA to get into local uni already. One of my poly mates with GPA of 2.8 managed to get into NTU. IIRC most of the engineering courses cut off was around 3-3.2.

Thanks for the update ... I am outdated ....

Twincharged

girl will usually know what they want to study, but not boy   [:/]

At this age, boys still vexing themselves with NS. Lol.

Thanks for the update ... I am outdated ....

http://www.nus.edu.sg/oam/gradeprofile/sprogramme-igp.html

http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/UndergraduateAdmissions/Pages/IndicativeGradeProfile.aspx

http://admissions.smu.edu.sg/apply/admissions-requirements

I tot I was outdated ... guess I am not. Looking at the admission for the 3 Uni in Singapore, the GPAs requirement is definitely more than 2.8 and in the high 3.0s.

There is no information for SUTD. SIM not counted as they are a private Uni.

In conclusion ... have to work hard, get good grades to qualify for Uni through the Poly path.

Edited by Civic6228

cut off will get lower in time to come

as more university places are available

and they become more commercialized, and profit making centre

which business will say no to more customers?

I know a few parent's kids with SINGLE digit ELR2B2 results going to Polytechnic rather than JCs. Some with 5 points!!!

They want to be the Dragon Head instead of Dragon Tail.

And most importantly the local Uni allocate slots for Poly grad and A levels separately.

And with the IP students stuck at A levels.......they are the top dogs calling the shots. 99.99% guarantee a place in the local Uni via poly route. With exemption further 1 year. And with 1st hand choice of the study course they desire without competition.

Which also means they will graduate at the same timing as IP students but with the extra profession diploma cert on hand.

Of course they must follow-through their single digit O's standard onto the poly results also lar.

http://admissions.ntu.edu.sg/UndergraduateAdmissions/Pages/IndicativeGradeProfile.aspx

I tot I was outdated ... guess I am not. Looking at the admission for the 3 Uni in Singapore, the GPAs requirement is definitely more than 2.8 and in the high 3.0s.

In conclusion ... have to work hard, get good grades to qualify for Uni through the Poly path.

Twincharged

I don't think it all solely depends on GPA only. I know cuz I entered EEE with a GPA of 3.28. But then again. It changes every year. Maybe now with more people going poly, its going to be more competitive. That time when I went poly, I was the only one in my secondary school class that went to poly, everyone else preferred JC.

Another method for those with not good enough results is to enter as part-time student, then convert to full-time student on case-by-case basis.

Edited by Nzy

O level is very serious business in singapore.

http://singaporeseen.stomp.com.sg/this-urban-jungle/youth-spends-night-at-mcdonalds-after-his-dad-allegedly-kicks-him-out-from-home

olevelmain.jpg?itok=8PnXCKJp

A youth took to facebook to make an emotional post after allegedly being kicked out of his home and spending the night at McDonald's, all because he fared poorly in his O-level examinations.

The youth said in his post, which Stomper Cuttie Pie alerted Stomp to, that he scored 38 points for his L1 R5, which angered his father.

According to the youth, his dad threatened to throw a chair at him and chased him out of the house over his poor scores.

With $20 left in his pocket, the youth spent the night at a McDonald's outlet, from where he made the social media post.

He admitted to having skipped school and flunking his exams, and added that he was the only child in the family.

He also asked for suggestions on how to get his father to take him back, and wondered if what happened to him was child abuse.

• Praise 1

for real?

I guess the father was angry only at that moment, i believe the door is still open but the boy never go home to see.

maybe the father left some food on the table waiting for him  [bigcry]  [bigcry]

After concentrating too much of IP 6 years programmes towards A level, have they lost touch of O level syllabus?

http://themiddleground.sg/2016/01/18/32412/

By Bertha Henson and Lionel Ong

RAFFLES Institution’s (RI) experiment with the “dual track” system seems to have gone a little awry. Its “pioneer” GCE ‘O’ level class achieved dismal results when the 10 students were given their grades on Jan 11. All but one scored 20 points and above for their six best subjects. If this means nothing to you, consider that this knocks them out of junior college and they would be hard put to land their choice of course in a polytechnic.

Entry into junior colleges typically requires a score of 15 20 and below, according to the Joint Admissions Exercise information booklet. The ‘O’ levels score is tabulated by looking at six subjects for JC and five in the case of applying for polytechnics. Students who ace their subjects get six points. But this can go down to two points, if they subtract two points for passing their Higher Mother Tongue as well as another two points for fulfilling their Co-Curricular Activities’ (CCA) requirement.

TMG spoke to three of the students and a parent of another who expressed resignation, disappointment and, in the case of the parent, outright shock at the grades. Only one of the 10 fared well enough to enter JC with 20 points. One student recalled the mood in the school auditorium where they received their results. “I went with my family to collect my results and they were very shocked.” As for the other students and parents, he said: “Everyone was just shocked. Everyone was wondering ‘how did this happen?'”

Last year was the first time in seven years that RI students sat for the ‘O’ levels. It has been running the six-year Integrated Programme leading seamlessly to the ‘A’ levels since 2007. But two years ago, it reinstated the ‘O’ level track for students who might not be able to cope with the “through-train” system. The school, while taking the cream of the PSLE crop with a high cut-off point, also admits students through the Direct School Admissions (DSA) system because of their facility in a sport. The students we spoke to said the school’s cutoff point was 259 during the year they gained admission, but they were only required to attain a score of 200, and to clear a general aptitude test because of their facility in a sport.

At the end of Secondary Two, the 10 students, most of whom were school athletes, were asked to move to the ‘O’ level track to do a fixed combination of eight subjects.

One student, who played hockey for the school, said he was surprised by his results because he did fairly well in school, scoring 12 points for his mid-year examination and 17 points for his preliminary examination. Teachers had been assuring the class that the preliminary examination was meant to be tougher than the ‘O’ level papers. But his final ‘O’ level results were a far cry from what he had expected. He scored 24 points. He wondered if the school lost out because teachers were unfamiliar with the ‘O’ level syllabus: “When we were doing the paper, we all knew that something was wrong.”

Another student, a track-and-field athlete, conceded that training for competitions might have taken time away from studies. He was out of class for between two and three months last year because of national and international competitions. “Just like how the other students put in time and effort into their work, we as sportsmen have to also put it in our sports.”

All three students are looking to get into local polytechnics, including one who is applying through the Joint Polytechnic Special Admissions Exercise, which is based on students’ specific talents and capabilities. In other words, it is the DSA process all over again. The parent intends to send her son abroad for his studies.

Parents were upset enough to call for a meeting with the school management. They met on Friday (Jan 15) to discuss, among other things, whether the school’s teachers were au fait with the ‘O’ level syllabus and the option to re-take the ‘O’ levels in the school. This year, RI has at least another 10 students who will be sitting for the ‘O’ levels.

When contacted by TMG, RI declined to comment.

Other schools which have a “dual track” programme include St Joseph’s Institution (SJI) and Anglo Chinese School (Independent) (ACS(I)). They have the four-year ‘O’ level classes as well as six-year classes which culminate in students taking the International Baccalaureate.

SJI had 347 students who sat for the ‘O’ levels last year. A check with its website showed that 96 per cent of its students qualified for JC, which means that they scored at most 20 points. ‘O’ level students in ACS(I) scored an average of 11.89 points.

The hockey player advised his juniors not to be complacent about getting a place in Raffles Institution (Junior College) (RI(JC)), or even any JC. He did not attend any polytechnic open houses because he thought he would be moving on to RI(JC). After getting over the initial shock of his grades, he spent the next two days scouring polytechnic options to submit his application. “I had to decide my entire future in two days.”

I do not understand why the majority thinks that ip program and later on nus and ntu is the best and only option for the kid.

The poly route is just as good.

Besides....the govt is starting to recognise other uni and even part time degrees as equal standing with ntu and nus.

Placing the kid under so much pressure at their youth is just not right.....imho.

The kids interet and passion of thier future job is more important than any thing else. Let them develop naturally.......

I do not understand why the majority thinks that ip program and later on nus and ntu is the best and only option for the kid.

The poly route is just as good.

Besides....the govt is starting to recognise other uni and even part time degrees as equal standing with ntu and nus.

Placing the kid under so much pressure at their youth is just not right.....imho.

The kids interet and passion of thier future job is more important than any thing else. Let them develop naturally.......

IP is the screening path for scholars. 

↡ Advertisement