O level results coming out soon!

Mason016

I know a few parent's kids with SINGLE digit ELR2B2 results going to Polytechnic rather than JCs. Some with 5 points!!!

They want to be the Dragon Head instead of Dragon Tail.

And most importantly the local Uni allocate slots for Poly grad and A levels separately.

And with the IP students stuck at A levels.......they are the top dogs calling the shots. 99.99% guarantee a place in the local Uni via poly route. With exemption further 1 year. And with 1st hand choice of the study course they desire without competition.

Which also means they will graduate at the same timing as IP students but with the extra profession diploma cert on hand.

Of course they must follow-through their single digit O's standard onto the poly results also lar.

I had strictly told my klds no Poly route for them even though the end point could be the same as those going through A level route. JCs tend to give a more well rounded education producing more eloquent, confident and refined individuals with all things being equal.

Yes there are many high quality students in Polys nowadays but generally the average student is still  more "Ah Bengish / Ah Lianish" than those in JCs.

I do not understand why the majority thinks that ip program and later on nus and ntu is the best and only option for the kid.

The poly route is just as good.

Besides....the govt is starting to recognise other uni and even part time degrees as equal standing with ntu and nus.

Placing the kid under so much pressure at their youth is just not right.....imho.

The kids interet and passion of thier future job is more important than any thing else. Let them develop naturally.......

That is what the govt says , but the employers generally do not agree that the part time degree is equivalent to a degree from NUS/NTU/SMU.

IP is the screening path for scholars. 

Nowadays much easier to get into IP  without being scholar material. Top 10% gets into IP but only 3-4% would be of scholar quality.

↡ Advertisement

Howcome no one want to discuss what happened to RI 'O' level track? The scores is quite jialat, granted that all the o level track are those dropped out from the IP track.

Howcome no one want to discuss what happened to RI 'O' level track? The scores is quite jialat, granted that all the o level track are those dropped out from the IP track.

I believe partly due to the syllabus in these schools are quite different from other schools.

I heard a scholar now a researcher mentioned that they prep them for university 1st year, hence they dun really do the Cambridge O level syllabus.

I had strictly told my klds no Poly route for them even though the end point could be the same as those going through A level route. JCs tend to give a more well rounded education producing more eloquent, confident and refined individuals with all things being equal.

Yes there are many high quality students in Polys nowadays but generally the average student is still more "Ah Bengish / Ah Lianish" than those in JCs.

That is what the govt says , but the employers generally do not agree that the part time degree is equivalent to a degree from NUS/NTU/SMU.

Nowadays much easier to get into IP without being scholar material. Top 10% gets into IP but only 3-4% would be of scholar quality.

same can be said for the JC students are more nerdy and low EQ. you can put a poly student in any conversation group and they can relate, but when you put these JC/IP students in some interest/lite conversation, you can tell from the responses of the other group members like err....

I may get flamed for this but

those students are generally poorer in academic work but managed to get into RI through dsa

No surprise they didn't do well

• Praise 1

I may get flamed for this but

those students are generally poorer in academic work but managed to get into RI through dsa

No surprise they didn't do well

I agree partly these are the weaker students that got in via  DSA with Sports or other CCA.  But I think academically they have to meet a certain standard, as they have to sit in some test. I can't help to think partly the school has gone out of sync with the 'O' level syllabus. Take note they do not have a 'O' level track since 2007. Restarted in 2014.. That's a gap.

I also don't think these students are that bad, maybe not in the league of the IP track. During the DSA selection, ontop of being good in sports, they have to sit in a GAT test.

One thing most of these O level students did well in their Prelim. The school says their papers are supposedly harder than the 'o' level. Apparently now they know this is not the case. So brings me to think that the school may have ill prepared these students for an 'easier' prelim paper.

I agree partly these are the weaker students that got in via DSA with Sports or other CCA. But I think academically they have to meet a certain standard, as they have to sit in some test. I can't help to think partly the school has gone out of sync with the 'O' level syllabus. Take note they do not have a 'O' level track since 2007. Restarted in 2014.. That's a gap.

I also don't think these students are that bad, maybe not in the league of the IP track. During the DSA selection, ontop of being good in sports, they have to sit in a GAT test.

One thing most of these O level students did well in their Prelim. The school says their papers are supposedly harder than the 'o' level. Apparently now they know this is not the case. So brings me to think that the school may have ill prepared these students for an 'easier' prelim paper.

Could be complacency on the students' part too thinking they are still the cream of the crop even though being relegated in RI

After all they should be responsible for their own studies and not depend on the school to ensure their grades

At least RI brought back the o level track for these weak students. I heard some ip schools just keep retaining the weak ones @ year 2 or 3.

Edited by Enye

Twincharged

hahahha.... my son told me his classmate's friend kena, all never check the paper code before answering the questions [laugh]

I think alot never bother to check the code one. Lol. So far no problem so always assume paper sure correct. 

Big cock up sia.......no matter what they do now.

Its will either be very unfair to these few unfortunate students or very unfair to the rest of the cohort taking the correct paper......lolllllll.

Wonder how it can happened de? Can take wrong code of paper? So these students no need to retake the wrong paper ah?

It is either one of these who will have a tough time answering:

1) Teacher(s)-in-charge in the 2 schools, responsible for registering the students

2) The whoever supervisor of the teachers, can be some HOD, subject head, VP

3) SEAB PIC who handles registration from schools.

But it's tricky, as this is the year where the new syllabus cycle (which kicked in from 2013)'s first students, go on to sec 4 and take the 'O' Level paper of the new syllabus.

And yet there is the remnant group of sec 5 students taking 'O' Level this year too, who started sec 1 in 2012, and are therefore under the old syllabus cycle.

So with 2 different papers of the same subject, it would require some cool headedness of #1-3 above to ensure got no careless mistakes like this happening.

Not sure about 'O' Level schedules, but if Maths is the first subject, then potentially this blunder can be repeated for other subjects too...

The same people involved must have quickly gone through the codes of the remaining subjects to check got same error or not. One high-profile error like this already almost certainly gone... if repeated, can go out and open tuition centre liao...

Wonder how it can happened de? Can take wrong code of paper? So these students no need to retake the wrong paper ah?

The answer is very simple. Students themselves bor chap and can't be bothered at all.

My girl is taking her O this year. She said since beginning of the year, the teachers have been urging them to check, double check, treble check, check and check and check to make sure they registered for the correct papers.

Polytechnics got open House this weekend.

I will be bringing my gal to see-see look-look at Ngee Ann this Saturday. ^_^

the open houses for all poly was last weekend

now alot courses to choose from!

The answer is very simple. Students themselves bor chap and can't be bothered at all.

My girl is taking her O this year. She said since beginning of the year, the teachers have been urging them to check, double check, treble check, check and check and check to make sure they registered for the correct papers.

brought my daughter for her brother poly entry a few yrs ago. She said she would loves to go Ngee Ann one day and she pointed out her reason. She was pointing to a group of cheerleaders wearing ultra short skirts jumping around and doing flips and stunts. I told her because of that i would prefer her to go the JC route.....
↡ Advertisement