PI Workshops vs AD Workshops

lancer6238

I just went for my 1K servicing yesterday at MBM Wheelpower, and as I've only been to an AD service centre (Kah Motors), I wonder if my experience yesterday is typical of most/all PI workshops.

I went to the reception counter, and was told to go to the workshop myself and look for their service advisor. So I was kind of walking about outside the workshop because everyone there is just busy going about their work and I had no idea who I'm supposed to look for. Finally a kind gentleman saw me looking rather lost and came over to help me.

This is very different from my AD experience, because at the AD service centre, all I had to do was pass my service booklet to the receptionist, and they would send one of their service advisors out to me. No confusion whatsoever on my part.

Is this typical of PI workshops, where customers have to look for service advisors themselves, or is it just this particular workshop?

I have to say, I would much rather pay a small premium for the kind of service the AD workshops provide - online service appointments, cleaner and more spacious parking lots, free Wifi, more choices in terms of service centres, and no need for me to wander into their workshops looking for an advisor I do not know.

↡ Advertisement

PI workshop you can stand next to your car ... kaypoh kaypoh see see look look and observe whether they know what they do

AD workshop ... you pass your service booklet ... car is sent into a black hole .... they yank this yank that you also don't know

PI vs AD workshop ... got good got bad ... up to individual

but i do agree with you ... i will only get AD car unless no choice ...

all things being equal ... AD workshop is less likely worst off than PI workshop

AD workshop at least got SOP

PI workshop SOP on the go ... see what's happening on that day ... 1 mechanic can do 2-3 cars running here and there and nothing is on the ball ... play by ear and schedule is not enforced

Edited by Wt_know

PI workshop you can stand next to your car ... kaypoh kaypoh see see look look and observe whether they know what they do

AD workshop ... you pass your service booklet ... car is sent into a black hole .... they yank this yank that you also don't know

PI vs AD workshop ... got good got bad ... up to individual

but i do agree with you ... i will only get AD car unless no choice ...

all things being equal ... AD workshop is less likely worst off than PI workshop

AD workshop at least got SOP

PI workshop SOP on the go ... see what's happening on that day ... 1 mechanic can do 2-3 cars running here and there and nothing is on the ball ... play by ear and schedule is not enforced

I'm not really someone who would look at the mechanics working on my car, since I won't know exactly what they're doing anyway [:p] I think there should be a certain level of trust, and once they break that, I will never return to them again. I've not had any problems with the AD workshop for 3 years.

I still prefer AD workshop because I feel "taken care" of there. I don't really understand why I have to go find a mechanic myself.

I only went the PI route because the AD's car model isn't what I wanted.

Mbm like that one la. No surprise. But u see all cars are high end that being service there

So only MBM is like that? Other workshops will not require customers to wander into their workshop in search of someone to service their car?

Mbm Wheelpower, had bad experience with my previous car when I had to service it there.

Used CVT-F on my car when HMMF is required. Had 'D' light blinking problem, sent in my car and all they did was just reset the fault code and tell me no problem.

That's the main reason why I choose a AD car with AT transmission.

Edited by Wormee

In short, you have more competent mechs in AD workshops. Not any Tom dick or Harry will be employed by them

Yes AD normally recruit ITE graduates and ther skills are further refine via OJT . Besides competent mechs they have must higher level of customer service and responsibilities. These difference is cost to the customers.

• Praise 3

ah beng ah seng workshop mechanic work few years gain experience go AD become senior / supervisor

AD mechanic work several years gain experience go to PI workshop become Manager

AD and PI workshop people in/out one ... got exchange experience

• Praise 1

The current batch of brand new models from Honda using CVT should be using Honda CVTF-2.

Disadvantages of outside WS, everyone knows....so I'll....

Advantages of OS WS are mainly for doing the same thing, they charge ~1/2 to 2/3 the charge of AD.

Time spend at OSWS is also a lot less.  But usually less perks like massage chair, free wifi, aircon waiting area.....

ah beng ah seng workshop mechanic work few years gain experience go AD become senior / supervisor

AD mechanic work several years gain experience go to PI workshop become Manager

AD and PI workshop people in/out one ... got exchange experience

true, they all move around.  So that OSWS mech attending to ur car, could well be a mech from the same AD a year back or few months ago,....lol

The current batch of brand new models from Honda using CVT should be using Honda CVTF-2.

Disadvantages of outside WS, everyone knows....so I'll....

Advantages of OS WS are mainly for doing the same thing, they charge ~1/2 to 2/3 the charge of AD.

Time spend at OSWS is also a lot less.  But usually less perks like massage chair, free wifi, aircon waiting area.....

To be fair to the PI workshop, the waiting area does have air-con and free coffee/tea, just like the AD workshop. Not sure about Wifi, though there wasn't a sign saying there was any. I didn't ask either. There was also the complimentary car wash/vacuuming like the AD workshop.

Parking at the AD workshop is much more convenient and less hectic/crowded. At least the PI mechanic parked my car at the exit after servicing, so I don't have to try to navigate through the chaos myself.

Price-wise, I still had to pay for the engine oil and oil filter. I don't think I paid that much more at AD workshop, IIRC, it's about the same.

I'm more shocked at having to look for a mechanic myself, since I never had to do that at the AD workshop. Sorry, still can't get over that [:|] as I thought that's a basic service.

i like to service my car OSWS because i stand next to my car and kaypoh and i know inside/out of my car

i like to go back to AD to claim warranty and bang table ... muahahahaha

simi waiting room, aircon, wifi, etc ... i don't care

Edited by Wt_know

(edited)

I don't think MBM will allow customers to stand next to their car while it's getting serviced. It's like the AD workshop. There were plenty of people in the waiting room.

I think there are workshops (IIRC, e.g. Hitachi Capital) where you can see your car getting worked on from the waiting room.

And maybe there are certain things you can negotiate with a PI workshop, like the type of EO. AD workshops probably won't allow customers to do that. I'm glad that MBM is using the EO I wanted in the first place, so I didn't have to say anything.

Edited by lancer6238

it is not foregone every AD mechanic is more competent than other workshop mechanic.  at least with a few AD I have heard about their incompetency and cluelessness and some of such instances was attributed to the most experienced of their mechanics moving outside to set up his own workshop.

the thing I hate most about AD workshop is the long queue for appointment and relatively difficulty in getting appointment for a fault that sprang up out of surprise.  they usually don't have the manpower to fix or even attend to it on the same day. they will politely tell you you need to leave your car overnight for them to look at it the next day.

AD is super busy with oil servicing ... the best business good profit ... change oil and filter ... easy peasy job

any peculiar problem ... they don't want to check and simply reset the fault code and ask you to monitor

it is not foregone every AD mechanic is more competent than other workshop mechanic.  at least with a few AD I have heard about their incompetency and cluelessness and some of such instances was attributed to the most experienced of their mechanics moving outside to set up his own workshop.

the thing I hate most about AD workshop is the long queue for appointment and relatively difficulty in getting appointment for a fault that sprang up out of surprise.  they usually don't have the manpower to fix or even attend to it on the same day. they will politely tell you you need to leave your car overnight for them to look at it the next day.

VW workshop very busy

AD is super busy with oil servicing ... the best business good profit ... change oil and filter ... easy peasy job

any peculiar problem ... they don't want to check and simply reset the fault code and ask you to monitor

↡ Advertisement