Nissan Pulsar

Kia7200

Impreza 5D is sedan? I always think cant really compared between a hatchback and sedan, due to space. Lol.

4D is the sedan, 5D is the hatch. But I agree, even the 5D is not a exactly a true blue hatch like the pulsar. Personally I think the pulsar, being a hatch, has more than ample space to meet one's daily requirements.
↡ Advertisement

4D is the sedan, 5D is the hatch. But I agree, even the 5D is not a exactly a true blue hatch like the pulsar. Personally I think the pulsar, being a hatch, has more than ample space to meet one's daily requirements.

Need boot space better get the sylphy. A much better car than the pulsar in all aspects
  • Praise 1

I am also considering both Pulsar and Impreza 5D. But I have only test drove Pulsar and quite like it. Have you test driven both cars? What are your thoughts on features, safety, ride comfort, legroom, etc of both cars? Thanks very much!

Yes, i have test drove both cars.

In my humble and neutral opinion (pls don't flame me), while the pulsar 1.2T is adequate to power the 1.2 Ton car, the 1.6 NA boxer engine sounds more refine in the impreza (even though the 1.6 is less sufficient to power the 1.4 ton monster). Coming from a GTI, i have to manage my expectation.

Features - i think both have equally good features but the finishing on impreza is a tad better. Just compare the window power switch you will see and feel the diff. impreza has additional "good to have" feature like apple carplay, but pulsar premium comes with GPS navigation. both have TPMS. overall features and built wise, i give it to impreza. oh, and impreza has electrical adjustable seat for driver, making it slightly more "atas". During the test drive, i was peeved that the pulsar daytime running light (DRL) is a mere halogen bulb in the fog lamp. The impreza is true LED DRL. Not a show stopper but i was like WTF...

Safety and ride comfort - Impreza has 7 airbags, pulsar has 6 airbags which is more than sufficient (as long as the curtain airbag covers enough rear protection for my children at the back i'm ok). Structurally, i like to think impreza has a more rigid structure with its new SGP platform, but in actual fact, pulsar has achieved Euro NCAP rating and in fact, the rear passenger door closes with more "thump" than impreza, really got the continental feel. Cannot comment too soon on impreza till it get its rating.

Ride comfort and legroom wise - surprisingly pulsar as more leg room than impreza at the back but lacking a rear aircon. For driver seat, its really up to individual preference about space. i'm ok for both cars. Ride comfort wise, i cannot comment fairly coz i'm not able to take both cars on long drive but i guess both will be good coz of their kerb weight. pretty sure they will drive like continental cars compare to jazz at 1 Ton. But the skinny steering wheel on the pulsar kind of spoilt my driving experience. i prefer the better steering grip on impreza. Steering control wise impreza has a better feel.

Overall, i think pulsar at its price, is adequately equipped to make it a day to day car which i need. Its just that if impreza can bring down its price further and close its gap on the pulsar, i will be tempted.

Edited by Pinkpan
  • Praise 3

Pulsar sits pretty high, almost similar to honda vezel. Imo, pulsar is like a mini crossover whaha

Impreza looks better in design and sits lower.

Individual preference.

I suspect pulsar is composed during cornering is mainly due to the lightweight 1.2 engine. Front nose feels light and easy to control. I have driven awd 2L sedan and cornering feels quite nose heavy if u know what i mean.

Edited by ccc888

Congrats bro on your collection.

Just went to test drive today. Now in deep dilemma between pulsar and impreza.

Can't seem to find more information anywhere else?

Feel free to pm me if u have further queries. Provided i have the answer though.

Cheers

Yes, i have test drove both cars.

In my humble and neutral opinion (pls don't flame me), while the pulsar 1.2T is adequate to power the 1.2 Ton car, the 1.6 NA boxer engine sounds more refine in the impreza (even though the 1.6 is less sufficient to power the 1.4 ton monster). Coming from a GTI, i have to manage my expectation.

Features - i think both have equally good features but the finishing on impreza is a tad better. Just compare the window power switch you will see and feel the diff. impreza has additional "good to have" feature like apple carplay, but pulsar premium comes with GPS navigation. both have TPMS. overall features and built wise, i give it to impreza. oh, and impreza has electrical adjustable seat for driver, making it slightly more "atas". During the test drive, i was peeved that the pulsar daytime running light (DRL) is a mere halogen bulb in the fog lamp. The impreza is true LED DRL. Not a show stopper but i was like WTF...

Safety and ride comfort - Impreza has 7 airbags, pulsar has 6 airbags which is more than sufficient (as long as the curtain airbag covers enough rear protection for my children at the back i'm ok). Structurally, i like to think impreza has a more rigid structure with its new SGP platform, but in actual fact, pulsar has achieved Euro NCAP rating and in fact, the rear passenger door closes with more "thump" than impreza, really got the continental feel. Cannot comment too soon on impreza till it get its rating.

Ride comfort and legroom wise - surprisingly pulsar as more leg room than impreza at the back but lacking a rear aircon. For driver seat, its really up to individual preference about space. i'm ok for both cars. Ride comfort wise, i cannot comment fairly coz i'm not able to take both cars on long drive but i guess both will be good coz of their kerb weight. pretty sure they will drive like continental cars compare to jazz at 1 Ton. But the skinny steering wheel on the pulsar kind of spoilt my driving experience. i prefer the better steering grip on impreza. Steering control wise impreza has a better feel.

Overall, i think pulsar at its price, is adequately equipped to make it a day to day car which i need. Its just that if impreza can bring down its price further and close its gap on the pulsar, i will be tempted.

At this price range, all cars come with compromises, plus and minuses - depends on individual preference as to which car win out.

However, from safety perspective, Impreza definitely safer.

New Impreza 1.4Tonne weight due to frame being heavier steel and Subaru's emphasis on safety oriented design - 

ANCAP safety rating - 35.8 out of 37 (note: this is with the Eyesignt auto-safety package not available in Spore but even just the crash scores alone are better than Pulsars)

Nissan Pulsar.

ANCAP safety rating - 32.67 out of 37 (note: this is with equivalent safety package also not available in Spore) 

Subaru car doors are thin in terms of metal sheet but solid in terms of metal frame - you can see that there is an extra attachment point between door and side frame when you open the door and look at the 4 o'clock position when you sit on the right back seat and look out at the door or frame.  In a crash, the door will not dent in so much because of it and occupant is better protected.

So Subaru door is heavy because of the heavy frame but does not have as solid a thump as metal sheet is thinner or less insulation inside.

For Subaru cars, when you drive into a curve and esp. on winding roads, you will find bigger difference from Pulsar.  Because of their AWD and low boxer-engine CG plus better suspension (Subaru's proper double wishbone for rear as compared to Nissan's torsion bar), the driving dynamics is much better for Subaru cars in such situation.

Plus if you drive on wet roads in the rain, again you can tell the difference very clearly due to the AWD of the Subaru providing better grip and control.

However, for Subaru, the fuel economy will not be as good for the heavier weight for better safety plus the AWD system.  So nothing perfect in the world.

Edited by jg2000
  • Praise 1

At this price range, all cars come with compromises, plus and minuses - depends on individual preference as to which car win out.

However, from safety perspective, Impreza definitely safer.

New Impreza 1.4Tonne weight due to frame being heavier steel and Subaru's emphasis on safety oriented design -

ANCAP safety rating - 35.8 out of 37 (note: this is with the Eyesignt auto-safety package not available in Spore but even just the crash scores alone are better than Pulsars)

Nissan Pulsar.

ANCAP safety rating - 32.67 out of 37 (note: this is with equivalent safety package also not available in Spore)

Subaru car doors are thin in terms of metal sheet but solid in terms of metal frame - you can see that there is an extra attachment point between door and side frame when you open the door and look at the 4 o'clock position when you sit on the right back seat and look out at the door or frame. In a crash, the door will not dent in so much because of it and occupant is better protected.

So Subaru door is heavy because of the heavy frame but does not have as solid a thump as metal sheet is thinner or less insulation inside.

For Subaru cars, when you drive into a curve and esp. on winding roads, you will find bigger difference from Pulsar. Because of their AWD and low boxer-engine CG plus better suspension (Subaru's proper double wishbone for rear as compared to Nissan's torsion bar), the driving dynamics is much better for Subaru cars in such situation.

Plus if you drive on wet roads in the rain, again you can tell the difference very clearly due to the AWD of the Subaru providing better grip and control.

However, for Subaru, the fuel economy will not be as good for the heavier weight for better safety plus the AWD system. So nothing perfect in the world.

Totally agreed bro. Different people has different priority. For me personally I am ready to sacrifice fuel economy for better driving experience. Hence took the plunge to sign for impreza.. but nothing is confirm until I sit in the car (took non guaranteed bidding) =P if thing doesn't work out, I would definitely come back to Pulsar..

Totally agreed bro. Different people has different priority. For me personally I am ready to sacrifice fuel economy for better driving experience. Hence took the plunge to sign for impreza.. but nothing is confirm until I sit in the car (took non guaranteed bidding) =P if thing doesn't work out, I would definitely come back to Pulsar..

I am both a Nissan and Subaru person (plus also Suzuki).

All good in different ways.

Nissan is always having the most space in their small cars - they know how to package the most legroom and headroom and shoulder room into a small car.  

Some - like the Latio - had even longer rear legroom than the bigger Nissan cars!

The tradition of good space continues in the Pulsar.

Value for money in that way.

[The only disappointment was the Almera with horrible space design - big on outside but cramped on inside which is opposite of typical Nissan small cars.]

Decided after a series of Nissans to try something new and so switched to Subaru which is good in other ways - e.g. driving dynamics.  Who knows, if manage to be able to afford to replace current Subaru car after 10 years use, may switch back to Nissan again (probably for fuel economy and space then - though Subaru also catching up in space also nowadays).

Edited by jg2000

Feel free to pm me if u have further queries. Provided i have the answer though.

Cheers

Hi,

Im also considering Pulsar too but waiting and hoping COE will drop abit before making the move

• Praise 1

Pulsar sits pretty high, almost similar to honda vezel. Imo, pulsar is like a mini crossover whaha

Impreza looks better in design and sits lower.

Individual preference.

I suspect pulsar is composed during cornering is mainly due to the lightweight 1.2 engine. Front nose feels light and easy to control. I have driven awd 2L sedan and cornering feels quite nose heavy if u know what i mean.

Can I ask how do you find the brakes of Pulsar? Cos during test drive I need to depress the brakes quite hard before it starts to slow down. Do you experience the same thing in your new ride?

Actually coe seems to be on an uptrend

Maybe not really uptrend la, seems like coe for Cat A still hover around $50k lo.

Can I ask how do you find the brakes of Pulsar? Cos during test drive I need to depress the brakes quite hard before it starts to slow down. Do you experience the same thing in your new ride?

Same feeling when i test drove the Pulsar 1 week ago. The brake is a bit on the soft side.

Yes, i am adapting to Nissan 'spongy' brakes. I had bbk previously and brake modulation is pretty good. So, now i goto depress further to achieve the desired braking effect i needed. The brakes are quite good...i tested braking hard and works pretty well.

Cornering is really quite impressive...no understeering...i have yet push it to the limit though...slowly playing and finding the limit.

The sound insulation is pretty good at highway speed. On par with lower end conti makes. Heavy rain and still able to listen to radio.

Edited by ccc888

Waiting eagerly to test higher speed stability, full throttle etc after running in....

Will post more reviews in due time...hehe

Did my first tank on ron 95. Manual calculated FC is very similar to onboard FC of 12+km/l. 60-70%highway and i am not a light footer.

Trying out 98 now.

Did my first tank on ron 95. Manual calculated FC is very similar to onboard FC of 12+km/l. 60-70%highway and i am not a light footer.

Trying out 98 now.

How do you find the car after driving Pulsar for few weeks? What's the fc like?