2016 Feb, 1st COE Bidding Exercise

yo2020

Simple lar. Just base on draw lot like how we buy a new bto flat

What is to stop people from balloting for COE and then selling out at higher price.

Or we also set rule like BTO flat to say people cannot sell car bought within 5 years? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

What is to stop people from balloting for COE and then selling out at higher price.

Or we also set rule like BTO flat to say people cannot sell car bought within 5 years?

(1) Black secondary market

(2) one COE per person per lifetime

Car lite:

(1) may not mean less car registered IE a big constriction in car population

(2) it means less car on the road over a period of time

(3) to do that you need a very good connected, timely and reliable train & bus services

(4) less taxis on the road but more accessible (see effect of uber)

(5) pay per km Erp

(6) alternative commutes like bicycles, e bikes, scooters.. Dedicated lanes n pathways

(7) ?

(8) ?

I am one of them now. With the DTLINE expanded to Bkt Timah, I find that I used the car a lot less. Take the train for my daily commute to work. Take train for my biking at MBS/ECP/Changi. Even cycle a few times to work in the east.

What about just one cat of coe and the remaining difference is based on a formula that is correlated to OMV. Yes, dealers can push down OMV by shipping in bare but there is prob a limit to how low it can go. Formula can be exponential to " tax" the higher end car more.

• Praise 1

Aiyoh. I am just pointing to you, your first paragraph is not correct. Cat b already at the lowest and it still went lower.

And you changed your comment from the lowest to drop 10k.

Of course rebound will happen but it is not 100% la.

Next round, cat b is very very likely to go up. Give yourself a back road.

:D

No I never change. All along I was referring to the huge drop with a 100% record rebound. Don't put words into my mouth :)

(1) Black secondary market

(2) one COE per person per lifetime

Car lite:

(1) may not mean less car registered IE a big constriction in car population

(2) it means less car on the road over a period of time

(3) to do that you need a very good connected, timely and reliable train & bus services

(4) less taxis on the road but more accessible (see effect of uber)

(5) pay per km Erp

(6) alternative commutes like bicycles, e bikes, scooters.. Dedicated lanes n pathways

(7) ?

(8) ?

I am one of them now. With the DTLINE expanded to Bkt Timah, I find that I used the car a lot less. Take the train for my daily commute to work. Take train for my biking at MBS/ECP/Changi. Even cycle a few times to work in the east.

Wah. One COE per person per lifetime very hiong lei if COE still 10yrs. Means that as a Singaporean I can only drive 10 years in my entire life. 20 years if its a family.

Agree with your ideas on car lite. Just hope that they will use more carrots rather than sticks. 

Have the same view. Will rebound for next round maybe flat the next 2. And probably drop after that. Think those need car will probably book this time round. ADs also smart throw in guaranteed COE a couple of thousands off the list price. Don't think they will bid too high coz will erode their margin. Think around $45k for cat B. Cat A probably drop to $40k

Yeap it will still drop.

The thing is every 'demand opportunity created' will lead to 2-3 'delays in dropping'. If this goes on, yea drop consistently but definitely will affect waiting time for those whom cannot wait due to car scrap. ,

Some more those considering second car will think twice and those new in market without cars are just simply looking for lower down payment which they cannot afford, this huge drop and them wanting 10k Coe will only hurt them simply cos cannot afford.

When 10k comes, then recession announced and they won't wanna part with their money. Mama papa will nag at them.

What about just one cat of coe and the remaining difference is based on a formula that is correlated to OMV. Yes, dealers can push down OMV by shipping in bare but there is prob a limit to how low it can go. Formula can be exponential to " tax" the higher end car more.

ARF is tiered right now depending on the OMV. Regardless of Cat A or Cat B. So no different to have one category of Coe or 2. Now system base on:

(1) Power - cat A or Cat B (no of COE determined by crop of Coe available from growth & de-reg)

(2) OMV - tiered ARF and loan amount

Current situation is caused by buyers and sellers trying to find an equilibrium point for COE. But given the big crop of COE this year.. 75K compare to 55k last year.. Chances are high that it will be a down trend.

Have the same view. Will rebound for next round maybe flat the next 2. And probably drop after that. Think those need car will probably book this time round. ADs also smart throw in guaranteed COE a couple of thousands off the list price. Don't think they will bid too high coz will erode their margin. Think around $45k for cat B. Cat A probably drop to $40k

If this is true, it's good for me. I don't mind COE dropping further even after I lock in the new car price. Because my current car value may be affected overall as well since both Cat A and B seems to be on downward trend.

Actually what is wrong with the current COE system? Cost of COE is hardly a valid reason.

Car is a luxury good in the realm of transportation, like condos in the realm of housing. If no money, take the public transport and buy a BTO flat.

Those who live in condo can go swimming in the pool downstairs everyday, those who stay in flat but want to swim also have to go to public pool. Similarly, those who take public transport but want to have convenience of car should go take the taxi. Call for one, it only costs $4 and you can wait at home until the taxi has arrived downstairs.

If you want to suggest cheaper COEs so everyone can afford cars, might as well the government reduce cost of healthcare, childcare, schooling, etc. It will benefit almost every Singaporean.

Edited by flashbang
  • Praise 4

If this is true, it's good for me. I don't mind COE dropping further even after I lock in the new car price. Because my current car value may be affected overall as well since both Cat A and B seems to be on downward trend.

Just have to make sure your car is close to scrap else need do homework outside lo

Actually what is wrong with the current COE system? Cost of COE is hardly a valid reason.

Car is a luxury good in the realm of transportation, like condos in the realm of housing. If no money, take the public transport and buy a BTO flat.

Those who live in condo can go swimming in the pool downstairs everyday, those who stay in flat but want to swim also have to go to public pool. Similarly, those who take public transport but want to have convenience of car should go take the taxi. Call for one, it only costs $4 and you can wait at home until the taxi has arrived downstairs.

If you want to suggest cheaper COEs so everyone can afford cars, might as well the government reduce cost of healthcare, childcare, schooling, etc. It will benefit almost every Singaporean.

Agree.

I can safely say some here cannot afford the down payment so wanting the 10k Coe. Tbh even when that comes I wonder if they can pay the 30k down payment.

i use to work at a car dealer, and i can tell you all the truth is that COE will drop further. The one making the COE price drop is most likely the new car dealer at work. low coe mean more sales for them. by june 2016 cat A 28k cat b 32k

• Praise 2

Yesterday showrooms look like fish markets everywhere .

spider nest .

Wah. One COE per person per lifetime very hiong lei if COE still 10yrs. Means that as a Singaporean I can only drive 10 years in my entire life. 20 years if its a family.

Agree with your ideas on car lite. Just hope that they will use more carrots rather than sticks.

Good ah .... Produce more baby so that can have more COE .
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Will be happy to see the Coe drop. So everyone own a car. Don't complain road jam though lol.

Dun be silly, COE is there to ensure not everyone can own car
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2