GrabHitch/RYDE-car pooling services

Carpools

Neutral Newbie

Really meh?

it is legal

http://statutes.agc.gov.sg/aol/search/display/view.w3p;page=0;query=CompId%3Ac9eec134-ebd2-4e0d-a14b-726c133b54dd;rec=0

BUT the private car insurance still seems to be behind i.e. not aligned, in my opinion a legal grey area waiting to be tested till the first serious case that will put it in limelight. As a driver would you want the risk to be the one for the little money

If you read the insurance T&C, any form of reward may void it - so think about it

LTA has a responsibility after changing the act to work with insurance and carpooling companies to make it clear. The act is amended 2 years ago and LTA seems to intend to leave it grey   

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Not sure if there has already been any thread on GrabHitch; if so your thread might be moved. But never mind, will share a bit anyway.

I've been driving on Grabhitch for almost a year now. I guess I've been extremely lucky, heard of cases where there were disputes but I've never had any trouble and most of the people I hitched were decent. Usually have quite a bit of decent conversation. Some are very chatty, some less so. Doesn't really matter to me.

Some people complained of being treated like taxi drivers, with the passenger refusing to sit in front. Since my car is an Evo 9 with rather hard coilovers, I always warn passengers (if they are alone) that the back is extremely bumpy, which is the truth, and most choose to heed my advice and sit in front with me.

So far, never encountered anything really strange or happening when driving on GrabHitch. The funnier and more interesting cases include:

Happened to hitch my aunt the very first time she tried using GrabHitch.

A girl asked if I could get her from Serangoon Gardens to NTU within half an hour as she had an exam. Wondered to myself why she gave herself so little time and chose to try her luck with GrabHitch. Told her I would try my best but would still stay within legal limits and that it all depended on traffic. Didn't actually speed, but sprinted a bit here and there to overtake whenever there was an opening. Managed to get her there in good time. The scared but yet hopeful and thankful look on her face whenever I gunned the throttle and the turbo kicked in was priceless!

Young couple walked over to my car, but only the girl walked in. Though they hugged before the girl boarded my car, she started crying once I moved off. Asked her once if she was OK, and she just nodded but didn't say anything, so I just drove on. Probably relationship issues or personal matters, I guessed. I knew better than to pry. I drove in silence while she continued crying softly to herself, all the way from Clementi to Tampines.

With most of my passengers, I drive really sedately, as I don't want anyone to complain about

"reckless" driving or to get carsick. Most passengers I have hitched thus far were not car enthusiasts either. But once I hitched two NSmen who were car enthusiasts and were fascinated with my car - they even took photos of my car's interior and the gauges on the dashboard, and they were thrilled whenever I had a chance to boost! (Out of the countless hitches I've done up till now, this and the case of the girl going to NTU were the only times the turbo saw any action - otherwise I usually shift by 2,500rpm!)

That's about it. Nothing really cool and exciting, just a little amusing to look back on.

Good write up. Where there erotic part?

Camping here.

Btw wrx driving at 2.5k rpm? Sure bo?

Nope, no "cool sex story". I simply never tried to initiate anything, as I'm happily attached. 

Mine is an Evo 9 with a six-speed gearbox. The ratios are quite close, so when I accelerate gently to 2500rpm, it'll drop by just 400 or 500rpm when I shift up. It's the lowest I can go without lugging or straining the engine (I'm running a twin plate clutch with a light flywheel, so I can feel it very clearly if the revs aren't high enough; this happens at 1800rpm or below). When cruising on 6th gear, 2,000rpm is 80km/h and 2,300rpm is 90km/h. At such revs, it feels like just any ordinary saloon, and with passengers in the car I generally keep left and cruise. As a side note, my fuel economy improves drastically when I do a lot of Grabhitch rides in a given week.

Good write up. Where there erotic part?

Camping here.

Btw wrx driving at 2.5k rpm? Sure bo?

Turbocharged

Nope, no "cool sex story". I simply never tried to initiate anything, as I'm happily attached.

Mine is an Evo 9 with a six-speed gearbox. The ratios are quite close, so when I accelerate gently to 2500rpm, it'll drop by just 400 or 500rpm when I shift up. It's the lowest I can go without lugging or straining the engine (I'm running a twin plate clutch with a light flywheel, so I can feel it very clearly if the revs aren't high enough; this happens at 1800rpm or below). When cruising on 6th gear, 2,000rpm is 80km/h and 2,300rpm is 90km/h. At such revs, it feels like just any ordinary saloon, and with passengers in the car I generally keep left and cruise. As a side note, my fuel economy improves drastically when I do a lot of Grabhitch rides in a given week.

Evo 9? I'm still waiting for the Ferrari to post his field report. Hearsay there's one going around fetching girls only.

Turbocharged

https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/passenger-accuses-grabhitch-drivers-being-greedy-arrogant

I am starting to get irritated with Grabhitch drivers and their cars! They are getting more and more arrogant and greedy and I am not sure why Grab isn't doing anything about it! Was rushing for time so decided to take Grabhitch from Shenton Way back to my house in Punggol as it was only $12. My booking got accepted 3 minutes before booking ends and my driver will only arrive in another 5 minutes.

When my car arrived, I got into the car and the driver told me that he will look at the app to see if there are anymore request along the way, I told him not to as I am rushing and he start calling me a cheapo and nagged at me saying that I should go for grabcar or taxi if I am rushing, I told him off that I chose Grabhitch because taxi has got all the surcharges and grab and uber are surging ridiculously, $28 and $29 respectively, mind you, he is just a part timer working in CBD who have just finished poly and waiting to be enlisted to NS, I dont know why young punk can behave like this. HE EVEN DARE TO TELL ME OFF THAT IF I DON'T LIKE, HE CAN DROP ME OFF AND ASK ME TO MAKE ANOTHER BOOKING. As I didn't want to waste my time again, I gave in to him. At the red traffic light ahead, he saw and accepted 3 more request close to time with only 1 pax each at AXA tower , Cecil St, and Cross St, all going towards Sengkang and Punggol.

I was the more unlucky one to be the last to drop off, and instead of a 25 minutes journey, my journey became 50 minutes because of the detour and guess what, the rest of the 3 passengers all chipped in for the CTE ERP and even tipped him!!! I got even mad and when I got off his car, I just don't bother closing the door and make him come down and close the door! I can't imagine that recently Grabhitch drivers tend to display an obnoxious attitude towards riders and keep giving the impression that they are not obliged to give us a ride and keep on bearing the thought of us being cheapskates in their minds. Grabhitch drivers now are also forgetting that we passengers are paying them for them to enjoy a "free" car and also offsetting their costs of having a car!

I guess it's time to go back to taking bus and MRT even if I am in the rush unless grab can train their Grabhitch drivers, taxi companies can stop all the surcharges and grab/uber to stop their surge pricing before I even go back to taking grab or Grab hitch.

Please share this post as I want Grabhitch drivers or there to behave themselves and be more customer minded than money minded! We passengers are helping them understand? Everybody wants a cheap ride, if not because of all the unnecessary taxi surcharges and surge pricing, why would there be Grabhitch in the first place? And grab, please only allow commercial cars to do Grabhitch as the drivers are more well trained.

Maurice

A.S.S. Contributor

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/passenger-accuses-grabhitch-drivers-being-greedy-arrogant
FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

Hypersonic
(edited)

Ai pi, ai qi, ai tua liap ni.

Want fast ride, take justgrab lor.

post-1829-0-39623500-1495645076.jpg

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 4

https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/passenger-accuses-grabhitch-drivers-being-greedy-arrogant

I am starting to get irritated with Grabhitch drivers and their cars! They are getting more and more arrogant and greedy and I am not sure why Grab isn't doing anything about it! Was rushing for time so decided to take Grabhitch from Shenton Way back to my house in Punggol as it was only $12. My booking got accepted 3 minutes before booking ends and my driver will only arrive in another 5 minutes.

When my car arrived, I got into the car and the driver told me that he will look at the app to see if there are anymore request along the way, I told him not to as I am rushing and he start calling me a cheapo and nagged at me saying that I should go for grabcar or taxi if I am rushing, I told him off that I chose Grabhitch because taxi has got all the surcharges and grab and uber are surging ridiculously, $28 and $29 respectively, mind you, he is just a part timer working in CBD who have just finished poly and waiting to be enlisted to NS, I dont know why young punk can behave like this. HE EVEN DARE TO TELL ME OFF THAT IF I DON'T LIKE, HE CAN DROP ME OFF AND ASK ME TO MAKE ANOTHER BOOKING. As I didn't want to waste my time again, I gave in to him. At the red traffic light ahead, he saw and accepted 3 more request close to time with only 1 pax each at AXA tower , Cecil St, and Cross St, all going towards Sengkang and Punggol.

I was the more unlucky one to be the last to drop off, and instead of a 25 minutes journey, my journey became 50 minutes because of the detour and guess what, the rest of the 3 passengers all chipped in for the CTE ERP and even tipped him!!! I got even mad and when I got off his car, I just don't bother closing the door and make him come down and close the door! I can't imagine that recently Grabhitch drivers tend to display an obnoxious attitude towards riders and keep giving the impression that they are not obliged to give us a ride and keep on bearing the thought of us being cheapskates in their minds. Grabhitch drivers now are also forgetting that we passengers are paying them for them to enjoy a "free" car and also offsetting their costs of having a car!

I guess it's time to go back to taking bus and MRT even if I am in the rush unless grab can train their Grabhitch drivers, taxi companies can stop all the surcharges and grab/uber to stop their surge pricing before I even go back to taking grab or Grab hitch.

Please share this post as I want Grabhitch drivers or there to behave themselves and be more customer minded than money minded! We passengers are helping them understand? Everybody wants a cheap ride, if not because of all the unnecessary taxi surcharges and surge pricing, why would there be Grabhitch in the first place? And grab, please only allow commercial cars to do Grabhitch as the drivers are more well trained.

Maurice

A.S.S. Contributor

- More at AllSingaporeStuff.com https://www.allsingaporestuff.com/article/passenger-accuses-grabhitch-drivers-being-greedy-arrogant

FB: http://fb.com/allsgstuff

Haha! What the... For the record, I do not pick more than one hitch per journey, as I appreciate that even if not in a hurry, people would prefer a direct door to door trip, and it's also easier to make conversation with one single person or people from the same group rather than two or three different strangers.

Having said that, this guy is a joke. This was only one guy, one driver, yet he's generalizing against everyone. He's already clearly admitting that he's in a hurry and yet unwilling to pay the extra charges and surcharges during times of high demand. Anyway, if he is so against having others picked up along the way, he could easily state that under the "notes" section. I often see such notes under Hitch requests.

Enjoying a "free" car and offsetting the costs of having a car? How naive! He probably doesn't even realize that hitching doesn't pay ALL our petrol bills, and petrol is the least of the costs involved in owning a car. Commercial cars to do Grabhitch? What about the regular Grab and Uber cars, then, which now have to be registered under a business entity, have commercial insurance and drivers licenced? And is he sure the regular Grab and Uber drivers are well-trained? Sure, they have rating systems in place, but having said that, it takes all kinds and I have encountered as many impolite and reckless Grab and Uber drivers as courteous and safe ones.

Maybe this driver's tone was rather condescending and he shot his mouth off without thinking, but he's just voicing what many GrabHitch drivers would think. If one is in such a hurry, one should either take a normal Grab or taxi or something, no matter the surcharges, or if one has a deadline, one could easily book a Hitch ride at an earlier time.

Supersonic

That guy obviously a cheapo la, cause he was rushing for time and yet still want to take hitch service?!  [hur]

(edited)

tried my first GratchHitch as driver. (on my way to work-no detour)

pick up 1 young female strawberry generation passenger

(with more than 70 hitch rides in profile)
went straight to back seat. really treated like taking a cab.

stared at phone and slept through-out journey

bad experience. dun like such feeling as driver.

Is it mandatory for passenger to take front seat when taking GrabHitch?

good as spare petrol\parking $, but not nice feeling.

Edited by Fsn3576
  • Praise 1

Bro, sure or not?? Maybe she wear skirt, leg open big big leh?? Then you eye candy wor.. hahaha..

On a serious note, think most riders treat it as taxi service la. To them no diff, still paying but pay less.

• Praise 4

A S S is a story telling platform for people to write down their juicy imagination   [laugh]  [laugh]

for a society that graciousness is lacking, grabhitch is a failure to begin with.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Haha, u believe the grab shit about making friends, networking?
  • Praise 3

Supersonic

You mean grabhitch is not a taxi or private car service like uber/grab/taxi? Passenger must take front seat?

• Praise 1

(edited)

Haha, u believe the grab shit about making friends, networking?

just ratting about my experience.

just my different level of expectation, for being  "automatic", or 自动.

Good Day everyone!

Edited by Fsn3576
  • Praise 1

[idea]

Just go and buy this and say rear sit for pets only. :D

water-proof-pet-car-back-seat-cover-dog-

• Praise 6

Hypersonic

just ratting about my experience.

just my different level of expectation, for being "automatic", or èªå¨.

Good Day everyone!

No worries bro. I am also a grabhitch driver but I drove Uber for 8 mths last year so I don't mind if they sit behind or in the trunk.

Those with attitude just think of you pitying them.

Most important, did U enter code to get $20 incentive?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1