GrabHitch/RYDE-car pooling services

Carpools

how do you feel about riders who cancel after you accepted heir bookings and then do not give any reasons for cancelling?

I guess it's part and parcel of the engagement. Fortunate enough yet to kena, then again I only stick to OLs and wage slaves like me after 7pm
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

how do you feel about riders who cancel after you accepted heir bookings and then do not give any reasons for cancelling?

I move on. but silently berate for about 2 minutes first if I am already there and waiting.

Want to share an experience as a grab hitch rider.

It was late at night at changi airport when I touched down. So as I was leaving arrival Hall I was wondering if I could catch the last bus because taxi was expensive and uber and grab was also expensive. Uber pool was over $30. Suddenly I remember grab hitch (this will be my maiden grab hitch ride) so I request for it.

For over two minutes the app shows requesting for driver so I started to feel no point and cancelled the ride. But just as the app showed my ride was cancelled it also showed a driver accepted my ride. I quickly re requested for the ride and got it.

After meeting the driver, I asked him when we were alone (he had other passengers earlier) if he had a booking that was cancelled just after he accepted. Cos I did not know if the first person who accepted my ride was him or another driver. He mentioned it was him and that he was surprised why I rejected him just immediately after he accepted.

So I told him what happened, that I thought no one will accept so cancelled the call but because I was looking at the screen saw someone accepted just before my app cancelled my request. It just got me thinking that if the first person who accepted my request was another driver, he would be wondering why I would cancel without any reason.

Fortunately in this case, the person who got rejected during my first request and the person who gave me the ride eventually were the same person so I could explain what happened.

Just sharing.

so i guess u will not be able to see the driver's contact until he/she msg u? unsure about as i am quite new also...but i did msg the rider 1st that i will be abit late, she bo chup and then just cancelled the booking without any reason...to me i think is rude, what if i am already on the way or even worse like the last bro mentioned, already there waiting...

• Praise 2

Want to share an experience as a grab hitch rider.

It was late at night at changi airport when I touched down. So as I was leaving arrival Hall I was wondering if I could catch the last bus because taxi was expensive and uber and grab was also expensive. Uber pool was over $30. Suddenly I remember grab hitch (this will be my maiden grab hitch ride) so I request for it.

For over two minutes the app shows requesting for driver so I started to feel no point and cancelled the ride. But just as the app showed my ride was cancelled it also showed a driver accepted my ride. I quickly re requested for the ride and got it.

After meeting the driver, I asked him when we were alone (he had other passengers earlier) if he had a booking that was cancelled just after he accepted. Cos I did not know if the first person who accepted my ride was him or another driver. He mentioned it was him and that he was surprised why I rejected him just immediately after he accepted.

So I told him what happened, that I thought no one will accept so cancelled the call but because I was looking at the screen saw someone accepted just before my app cancelled my request. It just got me thinking that if the first person who accepted my request was another driver, he would be wondering why I would cancel without any reason.

Fortunately in this case, the person who got rejected during my first request and the person who gave me the ride eventually were the same person so I could explain what happened.

Just sharing.

System perhaps is slow.

I drive uber, sometimes press accept button, straightaway get Rider cancellation.

Not once, but a few times in a roll.

It gets old and frustrating and you feel like just shutting off and go get a cuppa coffee.

• Praise 1

System perhaps is slow.

I drive uber, sometimes press accept button, straightaway get Rider cancellation.

Not once, but a few times in a roll.

It gets old and frustrating and you feel like just shutting off and go get a cuppa coffee.

lai lai lai.. I hear kopi only.. I come liao..

thumbnail_kopi-at-lau-pa-sat-close-up-ph

One of the worst kind of hitch rider. Bought strong smelling food and sit behind and treat you like a taxi driver. Wonder if we can reject such riders on the spot?

Edited by Andyngps
  • Praise 1

so i guess u will not be able to see the driver's contact until he/she msg u? unsure about as i am quite new also...but i did msg the rider 1st that i will be abit late, she bo chup and then just cancelled the booking without any reason...to me i think is rude, what if i am already on the way or even worse like the last bro mentioned, already there waiting...

If I remember rightly, you CAN message the driver through the app but you will not get his number. It's like grab hitch app page has a button to message driver.

Cos I remember the driver calling me to confirm location while I was messaging him through the app. So the driver HAS my number but I don't. I mean after he called me I have it on my caller id.

Anyway, no offence but why message the rider if you were on the way? My thinking is you were driving so how can you be messaging? Isn't it unsafe? At least if you called I can imagine you were on hands free or something.

As for cancelling at the last minute, sometimes just live and let live. Maybe the rider discovered wallet missing and had to search for it so cancelled just to ensure you don't wait unnecessarily.....

Oh. And one funny story. After the other riders left, I commented to the driver that the GPS brought him the long roundabout way (for the other rider destination, not mine but all in same neighbourhood). Cos I live there last time so I know the shortcut. I could have guided him so he could have dropped off previous riders faster.

But I didn't cos sometimes that route has jams (though not likely for that timing ) and if I guided him to a jam, I can imagine the awkwardness in the car. So I kept quiet and let him follow the GPS.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

when you have done enuff rides, you will encounter enuff shit... this is just small change... just move on... anyway you shouldn't have gone too much out of your way to pick them so just carry on with your journey

having said that, i always confirm via sms or phone b4 i start driving over... so it mitigates aeroplanes

• Praise 2

Most likely rider already took alternative options like normal grabcar, UberX, taxi, etc without cancelling the Grabhitch request. So when we accept the request, their phone will received a message request accepted. Only then they cancel cos they already inside the taxi or other mode of transport liao.

Hope that helps.

• Praise 1

One of the worst kind of hitch rider. Bought strong smelling food and sit behind and treat you like a taxi driver. Wonder if we can reject such riders on the spot?

Keep your doors locked, you can wind down the window and inform then cancel? If not just engage D and cancel otw leaving. There is a remarks field you can key in for driver now.
  • Praise 1

Keep your doors locked, you can wind down the window and inform then cancel? If not just engage D and cancel otw leaving. There is a remarks field you can key in for driver now.

So its allowed?

So its allowed?

yes, can cancel and states the reason...

i stated once that the passenger requested to reach the destination in 20mins during morning peak hour and raining, crazy ppl everywhere...

• Praise 1

i stated once that the passenger requested to reach the destination in 20mins during morning peak hour and raining, crazy ppl everywhere...

Passenger told you this after you arrived and she got into the car?

How did you chase her out?

• Praise 1

Haha...that i would cancel too...but if its food related stuff I dunno...

After working on Grab Hitch for almost 10 months, my opinion is just this simple message.

Just grab one that is along the way, nevermind if the pax is a male or female.

It's the money that counts at the end of the day.

Usually when you hitch, you need to make at least some detour off your intended route of travel. 

On average, your earning from Grab Hitch is about 60% of your GrabPay fare. So a $10 hitch ride you received in your wallet is actually just $6. The rest goes to the waiting, detour and extra distance you cover.

If you think you want to Sian Charboh by hitching, you're better off looking elsewhere, because Grab / Uber are pretty strict on harrassment.

when you have done enuff rides, you will encounter enuff shit... this is just small change... just move on... anyway you shouldn't have gone too much out of your way to pick them so just carry on with your journey

having said that, i always confirm via sms or phone b4 i start driving over... so it mitigates aeroplanes

Yes, always try to make sure pax confirms your SMS. That's important. 
But on some cases, I do take some calculated risk though. 
Several times, I had replies requesting to wait extra minutes, I would. Because trying to cancel and re-hitch is waste of time and fuel.

There's only 1 occasion that a lady requested to wait extra 20 minutes. That, I rejected and cancelled. 

20 minutes.. I would had already reach home.

• Praise 2

Today I took a GrabHitch home. The driver picked up another lady, and from the way they talked, seems like they are regulars (like he always pick her).

Interesting. I guess that is a way for guys to meet girls ba. Repeated pickups.

Edited by Benarsenal
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1