Mother and daughter missing in Romania

Stooky

61 year old auntie accompany her 25 year old daughter to Romania to meet a guy she got to know online, both of them suddenly became uncontactable. Its been 10 days and there's still no news about their whereabouts. Whole family is worried sick. The girl's dad also found out that she had withdraw $50k from her bank account. MFA is monitoring the case

y1RbOND.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

We still have one doctor missing in Greece.

Now mother and daughter, of all countries is Romania....reminds of Silviu Ionescu.

Hope they'll be found soon.

mum prob dead, daughter drugged up and become prostitute............... 

sigh .............. things people do when they are besotted  :mellow: Daughter cannot think, mother also follow suit  [dizzy]

hope they can be found, but in a foreign land like Romania, I am not optimistic 

From ST Online -->

A 25-year-old woman who left discreetly for Romania last month, with her 61-year-old mother, was supposedly going to meet a man she had met online.

Ms Yap Lay Leng, an administrative officer, had with her four bank passbooks containing savings of at least $40,000 as well as cash and her SG50 commemorative notes, according to Shin Min Daily News.

She and her mother, Madam Foo Li Kheng, have been missing for 10 days, and their family's attempts to contact them have been futile.

Her father, who wanted to be known only as Mr Yap, told the Chinese newspaper he was worried that they had fallen victim to a scam. The pair had left for Romania without his knowledge.

On the morning of Jan 22, the day they left, Ms Yap had gone to work as usual. At around 4pm, Madam Foo, a housewife, left home to meet her daughter for a meal.

Mr Yap, 59, a taxi driver, said that was the last time he had any contact with them.

That night, he started his shift at about 9pm, returning home at around 5am to discover that his wife and daughter were not there. His attempts to reach them were unsuccessful. Their passports were also gone.

Finding out about the mystery trip from his daughter's credit card bill, he discovered they had departed Singapore for Frankfurt, Germany, and then taken a flight to the Romanian capital of Bucharest. They had booked their return for April 16.

He said that last December, his daughter had suggested visiting Europe to experience snow, but he was unwilling.

Mr Yap believes his daughter had planned on meeting a male friend she had met online. He said his wife and daughter had not booked any hotel, and suspects someone was at the airport to receive them.

He was later notified by his daughter's company that she had not applied for leave. Mr Yap, whose wife's birthday was last Saturday, had hoped for the pair's return by then.

In response to queries, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) yesterday said it has approached the Romanian authorities to assist the family of the Singaporean women.

"Their safety is our immediate concern," said an MFA spokesman. "We are monitoring the case closely and will continue to keep in close touch with the family members."

Edited by Othello

Haiz...why trust someone in romania or for that matter someone residing overseas...too dangerous liao

Singaporeans are staying in such a protected environment and because we stay in such a safe place, we think all other places are like this and trust people easily

Sometimes, we are not alert to the dangers that are lurking in other countries

Hope mother & daughter are safe and can be home soon

• Praise 7

Haiz...why trust someone in romania or for that matter someone residing overseas...too dangerous liao

Singaporeans are staying in such a protected environment and because we stay in such a safe place, we think all other places are like this and trust people easily

TRue that.  WE have seen so many of these poor ladies getting conned like this.  Desperate for a relationship.  

We can only pray and hope for the best.

• Praise 4

Too bad Mr. Yap is a taxi driver and not a retired CIA operative named Bryan Mills. Hope there is a good ending to this.

this fella

63419593.jpg

but yeah, hope for a good ending but I am doubtful

• Praise 4

I rank Eastern Europe like Romania the same as Nigeria for crooks. The girl might end with the flesh trade. 

TRue that.  WE have seen so many of these poor ladies getting conned like this.  Desperate for a relationship.  

We can only pray and hope for the best.

Especially girls looking for romance ont he net. For some she never met in real live, , she can get ready $50K in cash .

Very sad.

• Praise 1

Already say we are living in a protected environment. People from all over the world come to cheat us of our money, love, jobs, everything.

While I'm thankful I can walk home at night with no worries (especially for my own mom / gf / etc), it does mean we aren't always alert or sharp as we should be.

• Praise 2

Sigh. After watching taken, I feel that the world is a dangerous place. Hope they somehow make it. And at most just lose their money.

Honestly the girl without her glasses isn't really ugly. Really can't find love in Sg?

• Praise 1

i just watched Saving Mr Wu (Andy Lau) during the weekend ... makes me think twice to visit China

in fact ... i suppose there were many kidnapping cases in PRC went unreported ... [sweatdrop]

anyway, once outside Spore protected area ...

one must be extra vigilant and stay humble and never ever try to seek attention shouting sibei cheap ar and take a stack of money out from pocket when buy things (PRC like to do this)

Sigh. After watching taken, I feel that the world is a dangerous place. Hope they somehow make it. And at most just lose their money.
Honestly the girl without her glasses isn't really ugly. Really can't find love in Sg?

Edited by Wt_know

so gullible?

Gullible is one thing , but we are supposed to be savvy and smart too , after hearing so much about the Nigerian scams , drug mules , gold scams .......... Strange family too over the chain of events , hello -they are not just going to overnight or day trip to Batam, JB

Hope they return back , Kenna cheat of money is OK but life lost is painful , last week mother daughter die in freak accident in River Valley now hope this one does not end the same way

• Praise 2

Gullible is one thing , but we are supposed to be savvy and smart too , after hearing so much about the Nigerian scams , drug mules , gold scams .......... Strange family too over the chain of events , hello -they are not just going to overnight or day trip to Batam, JB

Hope they return back , Kenna cheat of money is OK but life lost is painful , last week mother daughter die in freak accident in River Valley now hope this one does not end the same way

We are suppose to be is we say one. The truth is further then that.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1