Singaporean of the year award 2015

RadX

She truly deserves it!  

Kudos to her selfless act of cleaning the poor ahpek when he soiled his pants and bought new pants for him too.  Bless her

Good Samaritan Noriza A. Mansor named Straits Times Singaporean of the Year 2015

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong presenting Madam Noriza A. Mansor with the Straits Times Singaporean of the Year trophy. 

ST PHOTO: Olivia Ho

SINGAPORE - Saleswoman Noriza A. Mansor has been named the first Straits Times Singaporean of the Year.

Madam Noriza, 50, beat nine other contenders to the title, which seeks to recognise Singaporeans whose extraordinary acts of goodwill, ingenuity or perseverance improved their community and the lives of others in 2015.

Her win was decided after a public vote and deliberation by a 15-judge panel.
Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong presented the Singaporean of the Year trophy and a $20,000 cash prize to Madam Noriza during a ceremony at the UBS Business University on Tuesday (Feb 2).

The single mother of five attended the ceremony with three of her children, as well as her future daughter-in-law.

noriza1.jpgFrom left: Madam Noriza at the ceremony with her (from left) future daughter-in-law Nurul Atiqah, son Mohammad Harifh Hafizam Zul, daughter Nur Liyana Zul and son Mohammad Nazri Zul. ST PHOTO: OLIVIA HO

Madam Noriza, who works as a bedsheet promoter, made headlines in October 2014 when she stepped forward to help an elderly man who had soiled himself while buying groceries with his wheelchair-bound wife at a Toa Payoh supermarket.

Others had recoiled from the man and his stench, but Madam Noriza's subsequent acts - she knelt down to wipe the dried faeces off his legs and bought him new shorts - moved a bystander to tears.

She did not stop there, however. Since that day, she has regularly used her days off to visit Mr Tan Soy Yong and his wife Madam Lee Bee Yian, both 70, even after they were moved into nursing homes. 

Orphaned when she was 21, she said she considers the elderly couple to be like her adopted parents.

Madam Noriza said of her win: "I'm speechless. I feel very happy but also a bit sad because uncle (Mr Tan) could not be here today. But I felt like he was here beside me when I went on stage.

"I hope everyone will do something like me and not ignore people who are poor and handicapped. Actually, they don't want to be in this kind of situation. Don't neglect them."

She intends to use some of the $20,000 prize money to renovate her four-room HDB flat in Tampines, and will save the rest for her children. 

The other candidates for Singaporean of the Year included sales consultant Ang Thiam Hock, 52, engineer Peter Ho, 37, and Paralympian swimmer Yip Pin Xiu, 24.

They each received $5,000 from sponsor UBS. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 12

The judge sums it all up.

ST editor Warren Fernandez, one of the award's 15 judges, said he had been moved by her readiness to cross barriers of age, language and race to help a complete stranger. "How many of us would have done the same?" he wondered.

Some Singaporeans can't even clean up their own shit, and I mean literally.

Her children are blessed to have her as their mum too. Lost her parents when she was young and a single mum who brought up her children.

God bless Madam Noriza.

Edited by Fcw75
  • Praise 4

Yes kudos to this lady!! You must be a saint to want to clean a person who has soiled himself. Can only think of those Nuns belonging to order of the late Mother Teresa able to do this so she certainly deserve this award for sure, makes me proud to be Singaporean!!

• Praise 9

feeling great and encouraged to read this news on a Monday morning

hope these will influence Singapore to become a better and caring society

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2