Which Car would you buy and why?

Kazuya

Dear All,

I have narrowed down my choices to the few cars listed below (Some are of the same category, some are not). All Cat A cars.

If given a choice, which will you choose and why? Noting that I will be driving quite a lot, appproximatly 30-35k mileage yearly.

1) Honda Jazz RS (1.5)

2) Mazda 3 Sedan

3) Renault Megane GT-Line Diesel

4) KIA Forte K3

5) Renault Fluence Diesel

6) Hyundai Elantra

Thanks all!

↡ Advertisement

I'm driving a Jazz RS so I'm biased already. Main reason was for fuel economy and I wanted a hatchback or wagon or small SUV -- no more sedans for me.

In your case, diesel is a good option, but i don't know anything about Renault's reliability and ease/costs of parts sourcing.  

• Praise 1

Do bear in mind petrol price will be up once brent crude shoot up and your annual mileage is about 35K . Base on this Jazz is the ideal one.

Diesel, you have to be able to live with the diesel chatter. i was near a renault fluence (diesel) and it was quiet loud outside, not sure about inside. 

one of my friends had the Kia K3, complained about high fuel consumption, and contemplating changing to hybrid (prius). 

that leaves Mazda 3, Jazz & Elantra. i don't own/drive either, and don't know anyone who does, so no other comments. 

mz3 for me or kia forte. but kia forte is out for u cos of fc issues

elantra signal lever is on the left and poor fc.

as for jazz, it's prob the best choice like others said, but for me i won't wanna pay to profit honda. they overpriced their cars.

If really have to choose from your list. Jazz lor.

Versatile seats, spacious small lightweight car, low FC, Honda has a more intuitive throttle and gearbox response even though this is a cvt. If I'm not wrong you have to pay premium for the Honda badge.

Mazda3 from the opinions I get is its power to weight that is disappointing. Which in turn gave poor FC and performance. It's no wonder.

The kia & hyundai are pretty much the same car underneath with the same engine and transmission. Their selling points are better equipment and features dan the rivals but FC and performance they are still not there.

Stay off diesel for now. The dpf or diesel particulate filter still not refine. I would choose a petrol-hybrid car over a diesel car.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I am driving the Mz2 HB. I wanted to get a Jazz RS initially. Been driving a GD Jazz and GE Fit. Space is huge for the GK and i love the colour of the roof's interior cover, black. However i am let down by the console design and cup holders. Seems like the GE6/8 looks better internally. Also the drive is kinda disappointing.

Wanted to get a Mz3 HB for its looks and functions. Very value for money but the Mrs laments its kinda big. So settled for the Mz2 which also looks great internally and exterior. Power to weight ration is very good.

Edited by dcb

I am also high mileage usage. I would go for reliability and FC economy

Under the list, M3 and Jazz will be perfect choice.

Diesel engine will be good on pocket $$$ for daily operation. However, maintenance and reliability on Conti is still yet to be proven.

If you have good knowledge on diesel engine and maintenance, you can consider it.

TS, can I add 1 more car for your consideration? I would have chosen Honda CIty and reason being:

1) Fuel economy

2) Great drive with plenty of features (Although less than K3)

3) Great horsepower from a 1.5L engine

4) Super big boot space which is good for families with small kids and many things to store

5) Competitive pricing

6) Last but not least, its a VTEC!!

Now for the cons of a Honda car.

1) Expensive spare parts

2) AD tend not to throw in any freebies/discounts (very little if any)

3) Not that I can think of now. But can update me if there are any.

30 to 35k mileage is high and with our high petrol costs think you should consider diesel or hybrids.

Whilst I've no proof on this, Renault doesn't have a very good reputation reliability wise so I would be cautious if I were you. Maybe you can consider Prius C if your budget is lower though it's a hatchback or wait for the full Prius coming soon, good luck on your choice!!

• Praise 12

In terms of expensive parts, Honda or mazda is more expensive?

Lets just say there's alot of 3rd party workshops that would be able to help your car compared to Mazda. Would think its the new engines that may be an issue.

↡ Advertisement