Which Car would you buy and why?

Kazuya

VW jetta...my car.. best in the world now

Mai la, gam xia. I heard so many issues wity VW aftermarket sales service.

Ok I just found out Spore is Euro 5 compliant will will only implement Euro 6 by 2018. Thanks

As you have correctly mentioned, all our kiosks are currently selling Euro 5 diesel. Recently, CNG stations, C-nergy (Union Gas) & Smart Energy, have also started selling Euro 5 diesel at around $0.77/l. This is a $1/l price differential compared to RON95 petrol.

Assuming the ownership of a 1.5l turbodiesel Renault, your annual mileage of 35,000 km, savings at every refuel visit will result in net savings after factoring in the diesel annual tax (which makes it $600 dearer per year in road tax compared to an equivalent 1.5l petrol).

I will not address allegations on the DPF issues surrounding Euro 5 diesel engines openly, as I have not encountered any of these issues in my ownership experience.

I would like to take reference from local taxi operators:

1. Consider this, if Renault diesels are that problematic, why would Union Gas be investing so much in Renault Latitude to replace their ageing fleet? On the reliability of Renault 1.5l turbodiesel engines, apart from the existing pool of Renault diesel car owners, you may also want to check out owners of Nissan NV200, whose vans are powered by the same Renault 1.5l turbodiesel engine. (For that matter, the Nissan Qashqai 1.2t is supplied by Renault too. Check the "Renault" markings on the ignition cable if you happen to pop open the bonnet of a 1.2t Qashqai).

2. The Toyota petrol hybrids are dearer to purchase than the Renault diesels in the first place. Taking reference from ComfortDelgro which evaluated 2 units of Toyota Camry hybrid and Toyota Prius (Gen 3), why is the current fleet constituted by Hyundai i40 turbodiesels if Euro 5 diesel technology cannot afford the reliability and economies of operation?

Good luck in the car hunt.

• Praise 1

I was a member of a very active forum Renault Car Club group (rcc)for 4.5 years, and we need not arrange gathering.  Beucase we always have impromptu gatherings at workshop when our Renault breakdown.  Lol.  After our tenure we always say in tandem, one can buy any car, just don't buy French car.    Anything that can possibly spoil for a car, our Renault car did, including unusual stuff like ignition key to speedometer and engine.  And true enough, two days back just saw two ladies watching their Peugeot being towed in a hdb car park.  There used to be many Renault on our roads at one time, but today there is hardly any.  Enough said.

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 2

Yah man, i got a huge shock looking at the results... To be honest, I expected car prices to drop this year which is why I sold my 6 year old car last Nov to "Cash In" while holding out to wait for COE to crash and buy at a much lower price with cash on hand. I drove my car for 6 years and incurred about 15% depreciation minus interest because i bought the car at 10k Coe back in 2009. Looks like my decision is looking good so far, im gonna test drive 3 cars

1) Jazz RS

2) Mazda 3

3) Renault Megane GT Line Diesel (Euro 6)

Honestly, i did some math and Jazz RS and Mazda 3 is still cheaper even though diesel cost is low but! Thats because oil prices are ridiculously low now. The Renault Megane GT is a head turner imo although Jazz RS is best in performance.

Thanks guys, especially Koolaba for taking time to analyse this for me.

• Praise 1

Have you considered the new Fiat 500X? Nicely sized, sits high, durable diesel economical engine, and reasonably priced.

Edited by Anabolic
  • Praise 1

Yah man, i got a huge shock looking at the results... To be honest, I expected car prices to drop this year which is why I sold my 6 year old car last Nov to "Cash In" while holding out to wait for COE to crash and buy at a much lower price with cash on hand. I drove my car for 6 years and incurred about 15% depreciation minus interest because i bought the car at 10k Coe back in 2009. Looks like my decision is looking good so far, im gonna test drive 3 cars

1) Jazz RS

2) Mazda 3

3) Renault Megane GT Line Diesel (Euro 6)

Honestly, i did some math and Jazz RS and Mazda 3 is still cheaper even though diesel cost is low but! Thats because oil prices are ridiculously low now. The Renault Megane GT is a head turner imo although Jazz RS is best in performance.

Thanks guys, especially Koolaba for taking time to analyse this for me.

If you are open the option of self-importing your own diesel car from the UK, there are more viable options than the Renaults, Citroen, Peugeot we have here. Anyway, my diesel is not from the French stable.

• Praise 1

Reigniting this thread, thanks for all your suggestions once again. Just booked my car at the car show. Comfort, fuel efficiency was my top concern. So in the end chose the Citroen C4 Picasso Diesel Blue HDI

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and also new to car-buying. Intending to get my first car as baby is on the way! :D

Looking for a sturdy Cat A car with good fuel consumption, with reasonably good car boot space, and with price (ideally) less than $100k.

Have shortlisted the following cars:

1. Renault Fluence
  2. Kia Forte K3
  3. Hyundai Elantra
  4. Honda City

Going for test-drive this weekend.

Any advice?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and also new to car-buying. Intending to get my first car as baby is on the way! :D

Looking for a sturdy Cat A car with good fuel consumption, with reasonably good car boot space, and with price (ideally) less than $100k.

• Renault Fluence
  • Kia Forte K3
  • Hyundai Elantra
  • Honda City

Any advice?

2,3,4 recommended for better track record in reliability. Why not test drive first to get a feel of the different cars? That is more subjective.

FC for K3 is quite poor, followed by Elantra, then City (I think).

Hi all,

• Renault Fluence
  • Kia Forte K3
  • Hyundai Elantra
  • Honda City

Any advice?

Hi, for good FC can throw out K3 and Elantra. But these two are slightly cheaper than jap rivals so it kind of offset your cost over 10 yrs. For no.1 I dont really like the design but I know that its FC is really good. Overall cost over 10 yrs, this would be the lowest, pls note the special diesel tax of about $50+ extra a mth. I guess city ranks in between of comfort, reasonable fc and price.

Hi all,

1. Renault Fluence
  2. Kia Forte K3
  3. Hyundai Elantra
  4. Honda City

Any advice?

I've test driven the Honda City. Typical Japanese car handling. But handling slightly better than Vios and Latio. Cabin insulation is quite good as the road noise and engine noise are minimal. I almost can't hear the engine sound during idling. But based on review, the noise is louder when driving at higher speed, which I didn't manage to try. 

I also did quick acceleration with high rpm using the paddle shift and it's quite fun actually. I like the engine sound especially when the VTEC is activated. Kinda bring back my memories when riding Super 4 and driving civic type R.... a bit only la.  [:p]  

Neutral Newbie

Thanks guys!

Kazuya - yup agreed over 10 years, fuel cost will definitely be the lowest as compared to the other 3 cars. But I'm just not sure about the tax, servicing, and replacement of spare parts which will all cost more and whether it will cancel out all the fuel savings anyway..

Thanks guys!

Kazuya - yup agreed over 10 years, fuel cost will definitely be the lowest as compared to the other 3 cars. But I'm just not sure about the tax, servicing, and replacement of spare parts which will all cost more and whether it will cancel out all the fuel savings anyway..

Well, bargain for free servicing and additional tax is only about $50+ per mth extra.

(edited)

Dear All,

I have narrowed down my choices to the few cars listed below (Some are of the same category, some are not). All Cat A cars.

If given a choice, which will you choose and why? Noting that I will be driving quite a lot, appproximatly 30-35k mileage yearly.

1) Honda Jazz RS (1.5)

2) Mazda 3 Sedan

3) Renault Megane GT-Line Diesel

4) KIA Forte K3

5) Renault Fluence Diesel

6) Hyundai Elantra

Thanks all!

first round I will phase out 2 Renault diesel, because I cannot sustain its engine noise and inconvenient fuel filling in Malaysia , 2nd round I will phase out Jazz, because its interior space too cramp, then I will go to test drive K3 and Elantra, after test drive phase out K3 due to interior too simple and ridiculous small  HU, last round narrow down to Mz3 vs Elantra, Mz3 no need to test drive just see whether rear seat leg room ok, then final choose Mz3

Edited by MQX87511
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1