Do you put your car to 'N' then 'P' when you park your car?

Jetcool

First time owning an auto car, would like to ask what's the proper sequence to put the auto gear to "P" after parking. Is it:

1. Stop car, keep leg on brake pedal

2. change gear to "N"

3. Pull handbrake

4. Change gear to "R", then to "P".

5. Turn off ignition

Should one turn off the ignition (Step 5) before step 4? With the engine off, the auto trans would not have a slight surge when changing gears to "R" and "P"(which would seem to have lesser wear and tear), but is this the correct way?

Thks for yr advice

↡ Advertisement

Hi JetCool,

Let me recall how i do it everyday...

1. slow down and then come to a complete stop using foot brake....

2. keep right foot on foot brake pedal then shift gear from 'drive' to 'park'....

3. switch off engine, and let go footbrake....then pull handbrake (sometimes dun bother if the carpark/road is very flat)

not sure if this is the real correct sequence...

Cheers smile.gifsmile.gif

Should one turn off the ignition (Step 5) before step 4? With the engine off, the auto trans would not have a slight surge when changing gears to "R" and "P"(which would seem to have lesser wear and tear), but is this the correct way?

the little slide at P is purely mechanical when the engine engage the gear to "still" the wheels in park mode. this only happens when parking at slightly inclined lots. dun need to worry about wear. handbrake for double protection.. [angel]

oic...... if i can find a piece of big stone or brick, i will use it to block the wheel after i park on a slope, or turn the steering and make the front wheels face the kerb ...... laugh.giflaugh.gif

Neutral Newbie

i always put to N then pull handbrake to free the transmission first then go park . cos noticed that when i go directly to park, there is a jerk when i release the brake when i start the car.

but maybe being too kia su.

Neutral Newbie
Hi, i do exactly like what uncle 7 does,

just step brake, the D to P directly and turn off the ignition [thumbsup]

Can meh? Still have to go through N and R huh [:p][laugh][lipsrsealed][sweatdrop]