Man stole sister's credit card to buy game credits

Jman888

Man who stole sister's credit card to buy game credits online jailed for 14 weeks, fined $30,000
PUBLISHED FEB 3, 2016
Amir Hussain

SINGAPORE - A 21-year-old man was jailed for 14 weeks and fined $30,000 on Wednesday (Feb 3) for a series of offences, including stealing his sister's credit card to purchase some $7,500 worth of credits from an online gaming website.

Regan Lau Chiew Sheng pleaded guilty to eight counts of theft, cheating, assisting an unlicensed moneylender, and gaining access without authority to a computer program.

He also admitted to another three counts of cheating and nine other charges of unlawfully gaining access to a computer program, which were taken into consideration during sentencing.

A district court heard that in the early hours of June 10, 2014, Lau took his sister's credit card and mobile phone out of her handbag while she was sleeping at their home.

He used the credit card to buy some game credits from an online gaming website.

In the span of about two hours, he spent a total of $7,515 on the credit card, by making 12 transactions which cost between $14 and $1,996 each.

Later that afternoon, he took the phone to a mobile phone shop in Geylang and paid $50 to have it unlocked, before giving it to a friend. The friend lost the phone at a nightclub the next week.

Lau's sister later made a police report about the phone and credit card theft.

She had to pay the credit card company $2,500, while the company wrote off the remaining sum.

On June 24, 2014, while he was serving his national service, Lau conned another man into transferring him $110, by pretending to sell a code which could be used to buy virtual items on a gaming network.

In April last year, Lau also set up a profile on online marketplace Carousell to sell Universal Studios Singapore tickets, when he had none.

He advertised tickets for sale at low prices, and conned two buyers into transferring him $250 in total.

In July 2013, Lau also assisted a loanshark by opening a bank account, and then handing over his ATM card to a runner working for the unlicensed moneylender.

For stealing his sister's credit card and mobile phone, Lau could have been jailed for seven years and fined. For causing a computer to perform a function, for the purpose of unlawfully securing access to a program held in a computer, by buying the online game credits on his sister's credit card, Lau could have been jailed for two years and fined $5,000.

For cheating, he could have been jailed for 10 years and fined. For assisting an unlicensed moneylender, he could have been jailed for four years and fined up to $300,000.

Lau has returned $2,500 to his sister.

how is he going to pay the fine? borrow from the sister?  [laugh]  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Regans all got problem one?

As wicked as this one is, @ least this Regan didn't cause a fatal accident..yet.

• Praise 2

My tax dollars is used to feed and house this idiot?

Make him pay the cost of Changi Hilton lah

and let my tax dollars go to needy old folks.

:D

• Praise 2

So stupid steal own sister's card.

Sure get caught one.

Steal must steal stranger's card

and don't pay for anything that can

trace back to him.

Want to do bad things

must do properly.

:D

• Praise 6

It was reported that he stole his sister's credit card in the night when she is asleep, big mistake, wrong timing......why... Chinese have this saying

坏事只能在中午作。。。。。。。因为早晚都会有报应

[smash]

• Praise 1

I'm more curious which bank cc was that... So lousy,... With such abnormalities transaction, it still allow so many transaction to go thru?..

I remember when I was using my esso card to keep filling for $10 each round in order to get the free voucher during that particular kiosk was having a closing promo, it disallowed transaction after 4th round....

On that front, I think bank up north is much better. I did received a call from MY UOB bank when they detected any weird transaction to verify validity. My mom use a sub card to buy a system 2 aircon few weeks ago. They called me within 10mins after that transaction to verify...[thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4