2015 BMW X1 sDrive20i

zhehao

recently i went to look at 530 msport and 540 msport.. i do agree the IL6 sounds so much nicer and addictive. but i guess the platform being the same.. they should give you the same stability putting the power aside.

having said that i still cant bare to part my money for that , not within my means.. no money for that.

Despite having the same platform, I believe the driving characteristics will be diff btw 4 pot, 6 pot & 8 pot.

6 pot has a linear output which allows 1 to take corner without braking.

I got no moolah to buy.

NATO.

↡ Advertisement

Despite having the same platform, I believe the driving characteristics will be diff btw 4 pot, 6 pot & 8 pot.

6 pot has a linear output which allows 1 to take corner without braking.

I got no moolah to buy.

NATO.

YOLO la.. money put in bank for what

I Guess very soon PML might be bringing in 416 516 or even 616 and 716 :D

I think PML got 218.

I nvr see b4 416/418.

No 516/616/716 la.

I laugh at towkay that drives 730.

I think PML got 218.

I nvr see b4 416/418.

No 516/616/716 la.

I laugh at towkay that drives 730.

730 is still a 730.. why u laugh at people?

What's your opinion of 3 cylinders in 3 series?

Recently I gave my wife an analogy, a 3-cylinder engine is like a 3-legged dog, it can still run very well, but not as smooth. It ended badly for me because my wife is a dog lover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

But after reading this article, I think a 3 cylinder engine is not too bad.

Edited by andrewyewkc
  • Praise 2

Recently I gave my wife an analogy, a 3-cylinder engine is like a 3-legged dog, it can still run very well, but not as smooth. It ended badly for me because my wife is a dog lover.

Adding a turbo you know

The build quality is quite bad

post-16870-0-94540700-1521621794_thumb.jpg

Edited by Davidtch

The build quality is quite bad

Personally, I will never buy a 3-cylinder car. My previous car was a V6 so I was trying to convince my wife not to consider any 3-cylinder due to my bias.

Adding a turbo you know

Yes, a turbo will add power but at further cost to smoothness.

3cyc = 1/2 ILsex ... still got half sex ... lol

save enough money to get another 3cyc to form a complete ILsex !!!

Personally, I will never buy a 3-cylinder car. My previous car was a V6 so I was trying to convince my wife not to consider any 3-cylinder due to my bias.

Edited by Wt_know

3cyc = 1/2 ILsex ... still got half sex ... lol

save enough money to get another 3cyc to form a complete ILsex !!!

All the more should buy 760/860.

Double ILsex.

Edited by Davidtch

I am rather tempted by their 3 cylinders turbo 1.5 in the 3 series

My wife went to test drive a BMW 3 cylinder without me and she is quite happy with it. I am sure BMW can do a wonderful 3-cylinder. Now that I have seen the great video above and read what wiki says about 3 cylinder balance, I think they are cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_balance

Three cylinder engines[edit]

Inline 3 with 120° crankshaft is the most common three cylinder engine. They have 13. evenly spaced firing and perfect 3. phase balance on reciprocating mass, with 4.6.14. and 16. imbalances. Just like in a crossplane V8, these first order rocking couples can be countered with heavy counterweights, and the secondary balance is comparable to, or better than an ordinary inline 4 because there are no piston pairs that move together.

This secondary balance advantage is beneficial for making the engine compact, for there is not as much need for longer conrods, which is one of the reasons for the popularity of modern and smooth turbo-charged inline 3 cylinder engines on compact cars. However, the crankshaft with heavy counterweights tend to make it difficult for the engine to be made sporty (i.e. quick revving up and down) because of the strong flywheel effect.

Unlike in a crossplane V8, the bank of three cylinders have evenly spaced exhaust pulse 240° (120° if two stroke) crank rotational angle apart, so a simple three-into-one exhaust manifold can be used for uniform scavenging of exhaust (needed for uniform intake filling of cylinders, which is important for 11. Uniform amount of torque generated and 12. Uniform timing of torque generation), further contributing to the size advantage.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1