COE down, those bought at high COE how?

starofall

Cat A COE price for May 2nd bidding on 20 May dropped $2,000, but Altis price was increased by $6,000 on 21 May to $121,888.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_overview.php?CarCode=11448

A drop in COE price does not translate to a corresponding drop in car prices.

the info was wrong there.

if u look at the 2 most recent price list in pdf, u will see price cut $1k.

but bcoz no more $5k cevs rebate, resulted price up $4k. not $6k.

Being looking to change my 4.5 years old car. Talk to few PI dealers. Most said Coe will soften a bit but not in low region. Although 41% more Coe quota from May to July. But cev rebate is scrap off starting from 1st July definitely will push price up by then. Cev rebate is deduct from omv. For example if omv 20k cev rebate 10k. The car final omv will left 10k. The cev rebate amount is deduct from selling price. Part value end of 10 years will take back 5k.

The reason why lta remove the cev rebate is because they finally realised if allow cev rebate based on emission. The big cc car with very low omv/part will encourage car owner to renew coe end of 10 years which they did not want to see.

For example the new Honda vezel after 10k cev rebate end of 10 years parf take back 5k. Hence worth to renew 10 years Coe even at current cat A 65k premium. Down the road any time Coe crash want buy new car just scrap the car take back remaining unused Coe only lost the 5k parf which translate to very low depri.

Hence the new Honda vezel is now selling like hot cake. Said best to buy now. But I eyeing for the new harrier.

if coe crash, confirm worth to change, that is obvious wad...

but here is the thing you all must understand, when coe does crash, many people will change car, this "people" will cause the coe to go back up. lol.

Thanks for the illustration.

New 2015 vs Used 2012. One just to pay $30K diff for a new extension of over 3 years.

And a brand new car to boot.

So the thing is which I want to discover is, cars with high COE, are not worth one's while to purchase?

That's not how you calculate.

Ultimately you'll have to work out how much that car costs you per year because cars have a finite lifespan here.

Being looking to change my 4.5 years old car. Talk to few PI dealers. Most said Coe will soften a bit but not in low region. Although 41% more Coe quota from May to July. But cev rebate is scrap off starting from 1st July definitely will push price up by then. Cev rebate is deduct from omv. For example if omv 20k cev rebate 10k. The car final omv will left 10k. The cev rebate amount is deduct from selling price. Part value end of 10 years will take back 5k.

The reason why lta remove the cev rebate is because they finally realised if allow cev rebate based on emission. The big cc car with very low omv/part will encourage car owner to renew coe end of 10 years which they did not want to see.

For example the new Honda vezel after 10k cev rebate end of 10 years parf take back 5k. Hence worth to renew 10 years Coe even at current cat A 65k premium. Down the road any time Coe crash want buy new car just scrap the car take back remaining unused Coe only lost the 5k parf which translate to very low depri.

Hence the new Honda vezel is now selling like hot cake. Said best to buy now. But I eyeing for the new harrier.

CEVS rebate is not being removed.... It's made more stringent

I've been following the logic presented by many bros here. As I'm poor with calculations and will be happy as long as I don't top up cash when switching cars, I like the view that when COE crashes, trading in my old car at a price close to that of a new car is the best scenario.

But I'm wondering why would dealers take in used cars at prices near new cars? (Sorry if this sounds basic as I don't fully understand how the used car market works: perhaps the higher COE value is worth more to dealers?)

Turbocharged

I've been following the logic presented by many bros here. As I'm poor with calculations and will be happy as long as I don't top up cash when switching cars, I like the view that when COE crashes, trading in my old car at a price close to that of a new car is the best scenario.

But I'm wondering why would dealers take in used cars at prices near new cars? (Sorry if this sounds basic as I don't fully understand how the used car market works: perhaps the higher COE value is worth more to dealers?)

Because

a) the paper value sets a floor on the value of the car

b) By "cheating" they get desperate people and help them with an "illegal" car loan...

its the same way that for some long waiting list cars you can actually sell used for higher price than new...

Because

a) the paper value sets a floor on the value of the car

b) By "cheating" they get desperate people and help them with an "illegal" car loan...

its the same way that for some long waiting list cars you can actually sell used for higher price than new...

I've been approached by a few dealers with those 'ahem' loans before and I worry something might just come back and bite me.

So if the dealer pays out roughly what he charges for the new car, what exactly does he earn besides getting a costly COE paper?

Primary 3 math question :a-confused:

I am driving a honda freed, registered 2009. I bought it for 60k in 2009 with COE at 4k.

Some Dealers are offering about 60k for my car now. :a-happy:

Should I let it go and get a new car at 120K ( topping up another 60k for a new car) at current COE price of 62k?

or should I drive till the end and hope that COE will drop in the future?

How to do this math question as I am in a dilemma now !!! Pls help. [sweatdrop]

I am driving a honda freed, registered 2009. I bought it for 60k in 2009 with COE at 4k.

Should I let it go and get a new car at 120K ( topping up another 60k for a new car) at current COE price of 62k?

Believe your loan is finished or finishing soon

Now you trade in and get a new car, loan reset and start all over again

I suggest you keep the car and at the same time save the loan amount if your loan is finished.

Then wait for COE to drop, if drop, U got some ready cash to do downpayment + your scrap value

next car will be lighter on your pocket.

If COE never drop, still you got some money to pay for new car DP come 2009 unless 1.6L cost 200K !

which if yes, I will also ride bicycle, why become slave to the car.

Supercharged

You should sell your Freed now....

Tahan 1-2 years car-less....

You might have a chance to get an Ody at $120k....

But it is a gamble.

Turbocharged

This is a divination question not a math question - as in - where is the COE heading?

Must also ask yourself if new car is better or renewal is better.

In general I would say that you car value is going to move proportionally less than new car values ...

But who knows?

Looks like you like to be tie down with loan.

Are you?

If not, juz continue to drive.

Hypersonic

new car smell is very addictive

A* in maths also no use

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1