Is a subwoofer necessary?

Clement

Hi,

If you got a pair of two-way component speakers in front and a pair of two-way co-axial speakers at the rear powered by a decent 4 channel amplifier, is it still necessary to install a subwoofer plus dedicated amp in the boot?

I certainly do not want to get that thunderous killer bass which can be heard outside of the car!

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Hi,

If you got a pair of two-way component speakers in front and a pair of two-way co-axial speakers at the rear powered by a decent 4 channel amplifier, is it still necessary to install a subwoofer plus dedicated amp in the boot?

I certainly do not want to get that thunderous killer bass which can be heard outside of the car!

Thanks.

Not enough lolz. I on same feeling as you. I added a active subwoofer, small and compact yet quite decent sound.

• Praise 1

Hi,

Thanks.

Thought you just answered your own question?

"I certainly do not want to get that thunderous killer bass which can be heard outside of the car!"

• Praise 1

Thought you just answered your own question?

"I certainly do not want to get that thunderous killer bass which can be heard outside of the car!"

Hahaha that's what i thought too.

Just need general justification on his wants so as to feel better. normal human mentality.

• Praise 1

Not enough lolz. I on same feeling as you. I added a active subwoofer, small and compact yet quite decent sound.

Hmm... have not considered such equipment. Any suggestions on what to get? 

Thanks.

Clement, on 15 Feb 2016 - 5:27 PM, said:

Hi,

Thanks.

depending on what music you listen to

bass adds the oomph

can get smaller subwoofer 8" or 10" and a mono bloc amp.

Diehard fans usually go for 12" but takes up boot space and extra weight.

or soft bass, get active subwoofer no need for amp

Most people put under seat but heard it gives butt a soft "bumping" feeling lolx

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

For music, tweeter, mid and woofer is required to produce the 3 different frequent.

If your component & co-axial has both tweeter & mid, where is your bass?

Even classic music also got bass hor.

• Praise 1

What kind of sound system to get for the following requirements:

1. Basically listen to techno music

2. Wanted small and light weight

Any price indication ?  Brand not important and basically for the kick of it (like driving in a mini disco to drive my blues away especially in a jam)

Cheers

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

depending on what music you listen to

bass adds the oomph

or soft bass, get active subwoofer no need for amp

Most people put under seat but heard it gives butt a soft "bumping" feeling lolx

Wow! Afterwards the butt got massaging feeling, feel shiok then cannot drive properly!!!

Think boot placement will be better.

Found one such subwoofer made by Focal: Ibus 20.

See photo.

Has anyone installed this subwoofer? Comments?

Thanks.

post-3307-0-01473900-1455764278.jpg

• Haha! 1

active subwoofer put in boot not much effect..(that's why most put seat below)

but better see if can test first before purchase.

• Praise 2

For me I feel that in a car the acoustics are bad becoz of the tire noise, road noise and engine noise from other vehicles. And sometimes you need noise as feedback. That is why audio in my car is never a priority.

Hmm... have not considered such equipment. Any suggestions on what to get? 

Thanks.

My active subwoofer is pioneer TS-WX120A. No additional amp required. My installer connect straight to my HU.

So far I am quite pleased with the sound performance. I also install under driver seat, when increasing the volume, really can feel the boom boom haha. Especially if you want something small and light music.

My setup is similar with you. Front is 2 way components speaker, rear is 2 way coaxial speaker and powered with 4 channel amp.

Added this active sub really make all the sound system complete. I am thinking to do sound proofing lolz. Poison never end one.

If you want to add active sub, pm me. The famous FL meng quote a very good price and decent workmanship from him.

Future upgrade list?

3 way components speaker?

59B3593E-9EF0-4911-B255-FEE587A6B785_zps

Edited by Dscheng
  • Praise 2

I'd like to clarify this statement. 8", 10" and 12" subwoofer gives different kinds of sound (or ooomph). bigger isn't always better. in fact, bigger (12") means more sound, while smaller (8") gives more ooomph. depends on what you are looking for.

To TS, subwoofer or not depends on how particular you are about your music. some people dont bother too much about music in car, some people bother a lot. In general, in my opinion, a subwoofer is always better than none. In your case, a small one will do.

• Praise 1

Hi all, if you are keen, I have a JBL famed GT4 series 12" sub with dedicated amp to let go. The sub is boxed up for better sound quality n comes with a crossover as well.

Pm me your hp n I'll whatsapp pics to you.

hi All, need your advise. i feel my system is lacking some bass. i am considering to get an underseat active subwoofer or a more heavy bass rear coaxial speaker. wat do u recommend? TIA

• Praise 1

hi All, need your advise. i feel my system is lacking some bass. i am considering to get an underseat active subwoofer or a more heavy bass rear coaxial speaker. wat do u recommend? TIA

What is your current setup? All stock?

Sound proofing your doors will help if you have a decent set of speakers.

• Praise 1

What is your current setup? All stock?

HU - Pioneer AVH-x5850bt

Front Speakers - Hertz DSK165

Rear Speakers - Stock

4 doors all soundproofed

Not running on amp currently.

Sound proofing your doors will help if you have a decent set of speakers.

My 4 doors are soundproofed and my front speakers are Hertz DSK165

↡ Advertisement