Is a subwoofer necessary?

Clement

I think those boom boom drivers last time sell pirate CDs at pasar malam. Just kidding, I think as long as one enjoys the music, it doesn't matter if it's loud or subtle. It's your own preference. Many people are happy with their stock speakers playing radio.

I install a cheap underseat sub to improve sound quality of my cheap components. I'm a noob on this so I had to read up quite a bit and what I learned is that you can cut off low freq and high freq for the main speakers so that it will play better because it doesn't have to handle those frequencies which are played by tweeters and subwoofer instead.

So a subwoofer is unnecessary but it's a simple way to improve audio quality.

Normal speakers (i.e. the woofer or coaxial speakers) would not be able to play low frequencies effectively. For one, low frequencies require much more power.

In short, there will be a difference in a balance of the sound with a subwoofer. There is also a misconception that all subwoofers are always loud and often spoils the overall music experience. A good subwoofer and a properly tuned one will actually allow the low frequencies / bass to actually blend in very nicely. There will be some booms, but it would not be unpleasant.

Each type of speaker is designed to effectively play certain frequencies. tweeter, mids (for 3way setup), woofer, subwoofer. Splitting different frequencies to different type of speakers require crossovers. If using a decent set of speakers, the clarity, staging etc, would improve.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

So if my car all stock speakers and  my music in car is only childrens songs and FM radio, add subwoofer ok? Which one is recommended?

What? Why...?

I'm not an audio-siao. If I'm not wrong you will need an amplifier or else no point having a subwoofer. Dan you will realise you need a capacitor for the sound system or it will kill your car battery very quickly. Cos each time the amp amplifies the "boom" it draws a lot of power from your car's battery.

Don't bother. Save the money for your children education.

So if my car all stock speakers and my music in car is only childrens songs and FM radio, add subwoofer ok? Which one is recommended?

you can just opt for a basic active subwoofer such as the pioneer TS-WX130 if you are not intending to change other aspects of the car audio.

It does not draw a lot of power and does not require an amplifier. It makes the sound a bit better.

What? Why...?

I'm not an audio-siao. If I'm not wrong you will need an amplifier or else no point having a subwoofer. Dan you will realise you need a capacitor for the sound system or it will kill your car battery very quickly. Cos each time the amp amplifies the "boom" it draws a lot of power from your car's battery.

Don't bother. Save the money for your children education.

Haha, just wondering based on the example of listening to the sound from home theatre with sub woofer on and off. 

Neutral Newbie
On 2/21/2016 at 1:05 PM, Vezelian said:

hi All, need your advise. i feel my system is lacking some bass. i am considering to get an underseat active subwoofer or a more heavy bass rear coaxial speaker. wat do u recommend? TIA

I think the best thing to do is to replace the front speakers, and put in a ported 12-inch subwoofer in the back. Make sure your sub is able to handle the power your amp is putting out. A cheap and effective setup, won't be the best but will give you what you're looking for. Also replacing the head unit will help with sound quality and make the sub connection/gain control easier.

Neutral Newbie

Hi

Should. It give a much better overall listening experience 👌

But personally hate taking it out when have to sell the car. Haha..

Neutral Newbie

A subwoofer is not required for the sound system to work. A subwoofer only makes the lowest (deepest) bass notes. Without the subwoofer the system will still play music. Some modern cars already have high quality sound systems, especially if ordered with an optional upgrade. Kayhan audio is one of the best car audio installation shop in Australia. 

↡ Advertisement