New(ish) MPV vs old SUV

Mockngbrd

Surprising to see the Disco fail vs the Espace right :) but both these models are pretty old already... even my car with a not so great rating of 4-star is a lot better than that old Disco.

I think recent models  have much better impact mitigation/protection of the car and the passenger cage.

Unfair comparison?

If they take one SUV from same era as the MPV and put them through the same test, I think the results will be very different.

Modern SUV will have exactly the same crash energy dissipation technology built in to the sub frame as any other current road going car.

All other factors and technology being equal, E=MC2 is still very relevant.

Edited by Vratenza

Twincharged

Unfair comparison?

If they take one SUV from same era as the MPV and put them through the same test, I think the results will be very different.

Modern SUV will have exactly the same crash energy dissipation technology built in to the sub frame as any other current road going car.

Must know the whole background first. I rmb it was because it was popular to buy an old SUV rather than a new MPV thinking that it would be safer. That is why they did this test.

Unfair comparison?

well they were challenging peoples perceptions of safety. And the models were chosen as they were priced equivalently in the second-hand market.

But yea... even smaller modern cars do a lot better nowadays with safety.

Twincharged

Put a 5-star SUV vs a 5-star mini MPV n I know which I rather be in.

But the price will be very different also.

↡ Advertisement