Which is better, Original rims or change new rims

kennytansk

So if original tyres are 225/40R18, can change to 225/35R19? Is this how it works?

Spending a little bit more money for the blink plus can use back the original tyres would be nice.

Actually I'd like to have the blink and the wider tyres at the sametime...hehehe. Tam Sim!!!  [:p]

225/35R19 should be fine less than 2% difference, do check if your rims can take the required width too.

I also thinking of upping my rims, though every time I see new rim rash be it from self, wife or bro, remind myself good that I didn't cheong the WedsSport SA-10R. :psychotic:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

last nigh I ENG I watched the Video

I think they are talking about the Fake/ imitation rim

Not Replica / copied rim

Imitation rim manufacturer come for no where (because they scare to get legal action)

watch carefully the imitation rim behind they embossed made in Germany (ground off) ??? 

Replica rim manufacturers could be a well established factory with proper test  

If those imitation rims are really that bad quality(Safety issue) why our relevant LTA not taking any action or educate Public about such issue?  

Yes, replica and imitation are different

Personally, I'm using replica for donkey YEARS over 3 cars. Up and down MY many times. no problem at all.

The thing about changing original rims to aftermarket is for stability reason. 

Some cars come with tiny (14"-15") little original rims.  What good can these tiny little rims offer in terms of stability and cornering?  

If you car comes with tiny rims, PLEASE bloody change and get upsize rims if you want to stay alive!  But of coz, use common sense to only buy reputable brands from proper retailers.  Don't save money on unknown China makes.

Well explained. Guess I will keep my 16".

Why I ask to change is because I wanted to try out Eagle F1 Asy2 which only comes in 17" and it cheap now bcos Asy3 is out I from what I read.

I rem my 06 Altis only those ugly looking 14" rims but bcos 1st time owner, don't knw anything and keep kissing the kerb until I decided to try out 15" ones. Must more stable and of cos, aquaplating is the ultimate for me. Must be good for wet weather. Cos of a bad experience I have that nearly flipped my car if not for the Thick Metal Bars on the side of the road.

Tyres really cannot save money, like shoes with treadless soles. Will we buy one cos the other one not that worn out.

I also especially love thick width tyres. Did u guys see the big thick ones on Porsche. near Double the tread
Width, feel so excited when I look at them. obviously that amount of rubber cost a lot. saw a p zero 21" at ard 500/pcs, 4 will be 2k. but very balance.

Do you guys think the Yokohama DB E70j is good enough? MIJ when I checked. States that it is good for wet but not good in Fuel Efficiency. Noice level is low.

Haiz.

Hey Flashbang, 

thanks for speak up to me. I am really appreciate that!

It doesn't matter what people think of me,I just speak up the truth. I was once love replica wheels so much, as it is stylish and cheaper compared to original wheels and I really almost installed to my ride but then I did a lot of research why these replica wheels are so cheap. 

Then I decided to stick to the original wheels, and yea I get myself a set of original TRD wheels rather than using the cheap replica wheels. I even got the wheels colored to black color, to refine its outlooks :)

is the TRD = TOYOTA RACING DEVELOPEMENT ?

is this TRD considered Toyota Original rim?

this is a rare rim I had seen in the market.

to me how to tell is it Original car or well know brand product is

It must have a Brand itself embossed on the product (not sticker/ silk screen please)

country of Origin doesn't tell is it Original

like World well know brand Japanese biggest rim maker Enkei got MIJ and also Malaysia / Thailand / China etc

And always ask for Official invoice stated clearly the brand of the product / ethical business company is a responsible company that issue invoice for all products and service they sold

If they issue invoice for even replica rim I can still accept

Supersonic

Wide rims aquaplan more easily, in the case of wide tyres, thread dept, quality, water dispersion qualities, esp impt.

Upsizing, driven in sg, dun really require +2. +1 at most.

• Praise 1

Iyo, what would be a quality Taiwanese rim (brand)?  TIA.

Coz if I go KM, 15 = mobilio's 15 x 5.5.   17= Odys's 17 x 7.5.  Either a tad narrow or large/wide.

Bro, can try rota also. Made in phillipines, can check out their website. I changed my stock to rota, lighter and nicer! 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Bro, can try rota also. Made in phillipines, can check out their website. I changed my stock to rota, lighter and nicer!

Thanks. Will take a look.

OT a bit.  Will changing the wheels/tires void the car's warranty?  Same size wheel.  New car from dealer.

Thanks!

Normally, it will not void the car's warranty. Unless of course, the new wheels directly caused a serious malfunction of the car due to wrong fixtures, or weird/wrong sizing.

• Praise 1

Normally, it will not void the car's warranty. Unless of course, the new wheels directly caused a serious malfunction of the car due to wrong fixtures, or weird/wrong sizing.

Ok I understand. Thanks!

Does anyone know where to get the rims sprayed to a different color? I will be getting my car from the dealer soon. It comes with 16' chrome alloy rims.

The car is dark grey in color. I find chrome looks  bad. Thinking of spraying it to a darker color.

All advices are welcome. Thanks in advance.

Edited by drivers

The car i eyeing comes with 16" wheels. i hear that if want to upsize,once collect car go drive to trade in wheels and tyres immediately. Where do fellow drivers recommend? Budget 1k

Edited by Berlow

Neutral Newbie

Original rims should be more better than others. They design together with it so the performance should be up to the car standard. If change rim or tyre to other side if u are gd on car then is ok if not then will have some problem come out.

Does anyone know where to get the rims sprayed to a different color? I will be getting my car from the dealer soon. It comes with 16' chrome alloy rims.

The car is dark grey in color. I find chrome looks  bad. Thinking of spraying it to a darker color.

All advices are welcome. Thanks in advance.

I think there are plenty of spray paint vendors here in the forum? You can call and check with them. I did check with one of them previously regarding spray-painting of the rims and was quoted $100 per rim. But I did not take it up eventually after I was told I had to leave the car with them overnight:(

The car i eyeing comes with 16" wheels. i hear that if want to upsize,once collect car go drive to trade in wheels and tyres immediately. Where do fellow drivers recommend? Budget 1k

Recommend? I think there are plenty of recommendations in the forum about wheels/tires shops/companies. You should be able to search for the information rather easily. Here's one:

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2702189-range-of-rims-selection/

original rim is GOOD and reliable BUt may not be the BEST

Reliable, may be. Good? I'm not too sure. It depends how you define 'good'.

And best, it comes with a heavy price tag [cool]

• Praise 1

x5actor

if you compare a well known wheel brand like Enkei (Japanese but not all produced in Japan) to Proton car original wheel

which is more reliable ?

Open market does have Good Quality wheel better than Original one fitted on your car (don't count some locally fitted wheel especially some PI car).

↡ Advertisement