Toyota Axio 1.5L 2007 Engine Valve Cover Gasket & Plug Seal

Vulcann

Hi all,

Was told by my regular WS after servicing that engine oil started to leak from the engine valve cover & plug seal of my Toyota Axio 1.5L 2007 model. The mechanic showed me the signs which was a streak of oil flowing down and some solid deposits at the valve cover. He quoted about $400 plus including labour for the replacement.

Questions:

(1) Is the quote reasonable?

(2) Any recommended WS if answer to (1) is no?

(3) As the lifespan of my Axio is only about a year plus, should I go for re-con parts?

Thank you.

↡ Advertisement

I suggest you get a second opinion.

When I replaced the valve cover gasket for my Toyota during servicing, I remember it was only 100 or less and a very simple job.

But also not sure if we both are referring to the same thing

post-26952-0-08205400-1455839738.jpg

Edited by Icecube187
  • Praise 1

A gasket is usually a one time use thing, I dont think you are able to get a recon one and even if you do, it probably would not fit after the compression and heat it has been through and would give way in no time.

Bought the Engine Valve Cover Gasket (11213-21011) from Ric-Tat @$14 b/f GST, in year 2013. Not sure the labor cost charge from workshop, as I DIY myself.

By the way, my drive is Toyota VIOS 2006.

Hi all,

Was told by my regular WS after servicing that engine oil started to leak from the engine valve cover & plug seal of my Toyota Axio 1.5L 2007 model. The mechanic showed me the signs which was a streak of oil flowing down and some solid deposits at the valve cover. He quoted about $400 plus including labour for the replacement.

Questions:

(1) Is the quote reasonable?

(2) Any recommended WS if answer to (1) is no?

(3) As the lifespan of my Axio is only about a year plus, should I go for re-con parts?

Thank you.

My Dad is driving a 2008 Toyota Axio and have the same problem.

There isn't any recon parts available for valve cover, and I remember the valve cover itself is already about $250 excluding the rest and labour.

Also paid about $400 odd in all including spark plug seals and gasket.

I have always patronise and rely on Synergy Automobile since their old location at Lavendar Street Esso petrol kiosk,

Hence, I think the quote you have been given is reasonable.

Hi all,

Was told by my regular WS after servicing that engine oil started to leak from the engine valve cover & plug seal of my Toyota Axio 1.5L 2007 model. The mechanic showed me the signs which was a streak of oil flowing down and some solid deposits at the valve cover. He quoted about $400 plus including labour for the replacement.

Questions:

(1) Is the quote reasonable?

(2) Any recommended WS if answer to (1) is no?

(3) As the lifespan of my Axio is only about a year plus, should I go for re-con parts?

Thank you.

Your workshop is a con shop. Can get it replaced for around $80 or even less, inclusive of parts.
  • Praise 1

Your workshop is a con shop. Can get it replaced for around $80 or even less, inclusive of parts.

TS is referring to valve cover, the whole big engine cover, not just the gasket seal alone.

Paiseh to confuse.

My original post was not clear on the cover leakage part.

The mechanic did point to a spot on the cover itself above the gasket which showed some deposit and claimed that the cover cracked at that spot.

So the quote included the replacement of the cover and the gasket itself,

IIRC the cover was $300ish, labour $70ish plus seal $30-40ish and with GST net $400ish.

Paiseh to confuse.

My original post was not clear on the cover leakage part.

The mechanic did point to a spot on the cover itself above the gasket which showed some deposit and claimed that the cover cracked at that spot.

So the quote included the replacement of the cover and the gasket itself,

IIRC the cover was $300ish, labour $70ish plus seal $30-40ish and with GST net $400ish.

not sure if the workshop is smoking you, even if an engine is overheated, valve cover may not crack that easily unless it is over tightened in wrong sequence.

not sure if the workshop is smoking you, even if an engine is overheated, valve cover may not crack that easily unless it is over tightened in wrong sequence.

Bro, got the feeling of being treated as a carrot head so that's why need to ask MCF bros in this post lo. 

Didn't kena (touch wood) any accidents before and thus unlikely a solid metal cover would just crack like that.

But still play safe soliciting opinions from you guys on this [wave]

No body change valve cover, only the gasket and valve seals.

Toyota Axio engine has this common wear & tear problem where the engine valve cover is bloated underneath.

Unless you own one and has the same experience and witness it yourself, you will not understand.

FYI, Axio and Vios do not share the same engine.

• Praise 1

Toyota Axio engine has this common wear & tear problem where the engine valve cover is bloated underneath.

Unless you own one and has the same experience and witness it yourself, you will not understand.

FYI, Axio and Vios do not share the same engine.

Just curious, does it mean its caved in from outside?

how bout tge new axio?

Btw,not usual to change valve cover.

Just curious, does it mean its caved in from outside?

how bout tge new axio?

Btw,not usual to change valve cover.

My Dad's Toyota Axio happened to have erratic idling issues which took a few days to find the root of the problem.

Did the basic stuffs like cleaning throttle body, changing new spark plugs etc but problem persist.

Changed the whole throttle body, did a calibration on the G-Sensor and even remove the engine valve cover to check valve clearance,

This is when we found out that the engine valve cover is due to be changed as it is in pretty bad shape; we also changed the spark plug seals and engine gaskets at the same time as this car has clocked 110K, and left about 3 years to go.

Edited by Mr_biscuit

IMHO, for issues relating to engine valve cover and gasket, a possible cause is the choice of engine oil.

A tell-tale sign is the engine top is yellowish (or golden) when the engine valve cover is removed.

This is when we found out that the engine valve cover is due to be changed as it is in pretty bad shape; we also changed the spark plug seals and engine gaskets at the same time as this car has clocked 110K, and left about 3 years to go.

Eh... a Toyota changing valve cover at 110k is like a bit too soon.

Edited by Kklee

IMHO, for issues relating to engine valve cover and gasket, a possible cause is the choice of engine oil.

A tell-tale sign is the engine top is yellowish (or golden) when the engine valve cover is removed.

Eh... a Toyota changing valve cover at 110k is like a bit too soon.

Mine was doing the 140k servicing when my mechanic advised me to change the both the valve cover & gasket.  

↡ Advertisement