Toyota Camry 2015 - Complimentary Upgrade to 2.5L

Yaloryalor

Taking your question at face value: He's saying that modern ECUs will all compensate for insufficiently low octane by retarding ignition timing (not combustion) to avoid premature detonation (knocking) - which is mostly true. But I think that's an awfully broad assumption to make about all cars. How do you really know what your ECU is doing without plugging into it? And are you willing to use low octane fuel and assume your ECU will compensate safely, especially if your engine's high compression or forced induction? Doesn't seem like a great idea.

Usually, ECU will compensate. My conti car can even take Ron 92 if there's no 95 available. Unless is lao pok, then maybe ECU will not be that smart to do retarding in ignition timing.

↡ Advertisement

Usually, ECU will compensate. My conti car can even take Ron 92 if there's no 95 available. Unless is lao pok, then maybe ECU will not be that smart to do retarding in ignition timing.

Lao pok chia cannot, right? Then dun say all car can pump RON 92 lar. I have driven many lao pok chia. But I do get your point.

This is all a bit lost in translation... I was replying to Baal saying that the engine capacity has nothing to do with what fuel RON grade you can use... it's dependent on the compression ratio...

And since Passion says that the ECU can compensate... I really don't understand the bit about Mazda's Skyactiv engines having high compression ratios and can't take RON 92, and then saying that his Continental make can take RON 92 if there's no RON 95 cos the ECU can compensate... my understanding is that in the past, Continental cars tend to have higher compression ratios which is why they tend to develop more power compared to Japanese or Korean engines... but recently, some Japanese brands have been catching up as well... so if the ECU can compensate, then so too would the Mazda Skyactiv engines? Am I missing something here?

About that bit about no RON 95... I think in Singapore and even Malaysia, the issue is no RON 92... all stations I think have RON 95 and higher. There are a few Esso stations I avoid cos really no RON 92 pumps... sweat!

Finally, high compression engines require higher RON as the fuel is compressed more and has a higher tendency to detonate prematurely... hence having structurally more complex hydrocarbon molecules leads to higher ignition temperatures, which then allows the full compression stroke before the spark triggers the detonation... which is also why keeping the compression ratio down increases reliability and engine longevity...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 1

Lao pok chia cannot, right? Then dun say all car can pump RON 92 lar. I have driven many lao pok chia. But I do get your point.

Lao Pok I'm not sure. I don't drive all the car in the world what. But as far as I know, usually car with ECU will "step" down the ignition or combustion to prevent engine damage.

• Praise 2

This is all a bit lost in translation... I was replying to Baal saying that the engine capacity has nothing to do with what fuel RON grade you can use... it's dependent on the compression ratio...

And since Passion says that the ECU can compensate... I really don't understand the bit about Mazda's Skyactiv engines having high compression ratios and can't take RON 92, and then saying that his Continental make can take RON 92 if there's no RON 95 cos the ECU can compensate... my understanding is that in the past, Continental cars tend to have higher compression ratios which is why they tend to develop more power compared to Japanese or Korean engines... but recently, some Japanese brands have been catching up as well... so if the ECU can compensate, then so too would the Mazda Skyactiv engines? Am I missing something here?

About that bit about no RON 95... I think in Singapore and even Malaysia, the issue is no RON 92... all stations I think have RON 95 and higher. There are a few Esso stations I avoid cos really no RON 92 pumps... sweat!

Finally, high compression engines require higher RON as the fuel is compressed more and has a higher tendency to detonate prematurely... hence having structurally more complex hydrocarbon molecules leads to higher ignition temperatures, which then allows the full compression stroke before the spark triggers the detonation... which is also why keeping the compression ratio down increases reliability and engine longevity...

My continental only has a compression ratio of 10:1 or 10.4 : 1 or something like that. As for Mazda, it is 14:1. I'm not an expert in engine system, but my basic knowledge is that for such a high compression car, the need of minimum to operate safely is required. I'm not exactly sure but I guess putting 92 into a Mazda will still work, just that it will not operate at 14:1 ratio.

For the ratio thing, I think it is a figure stating how high the compression can go, not how low it can go. Anything below stated figure should work. This is what I think since I'm not an expert.

As far as I know, there will be some loss of power since the point of detonation may not be optimal... and this may cause knocking (i.e. premature detonation of the compressed fuel-air mixture). But can still be used if you don't mind... I think the compression ratio can be altered to a certain degree by the ECU, which may explain the lower power, in order to save the engine from premature wear from the knocking...

As far as I know, there will be some loss of power since the point of detonation may not be optimal... and this may cause knocking (i.e. premature detonation of the compressed fuel-air mixture). But can still be used if you don't mind... I think the compression ratio can be altered to a certain degree by the ECU, which may explain the lower power, in order to save the engine from premature wear from the knocking...

Check your Singapore Camry manual for the recommended RON that they have tuned the Singapore cars for.

Some car, same engine can be tuned for different RONs based for different country's needs.

E.g. In Australia market, some car manufacturers are asked to tune car for lower RON since hard to find higher RON there.

• Praise 1

How can Compression Ratio be adjusted.?Your engine head can move up & down.? [rolleyes]

Check your Singapore Camry manual for the recommended RON that they have tuned the Singapore cars for.

Some car, same engine can be tuned for different RONs based for different country's needs.

E.g. In Australia market, some car manufacturers are asked to tune car for lower RON since hard to find higher RON there.

yES,ecu TUNING can do alot of thing,my Mazda 6 just got tuned,to use 98 petrol only[factory tuned for both 95 & 98 petrol],power is better now.

Any bro can advise How to switch off the Day Running Lights (DRL) on current new Camry 2.5?

I have search and googel but cant find any answers. 

Why I want to switch off?    

1) At times park at carpark just want to listen to some music while waiting for family members.

2) Some good intention people approached and tell me my DRL not switch off. 

3) Many people waiting for my car lot thinking I want to drive off soon.  

Google say that need to go back Toyota to set it off permanently, which is something I don't want to. 

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Any bro can advise How to switch off the Day Running Lights (DRL) on current new Camry 2.5?

I have search and googel but cant find any answers. 

Why I want to switch off?    

1) At times park at carpark just want to listen to some music while waiting for family members.

2) Some good intention people approached and tell me my DRL not switch off. 

3) Many people waiting for my car lot thinking I want to drive off soon.  

Google say that need to go back Toyota to set it off permanently, which is something I don't want to. 

Any info appreciated. Thanks

What I do is switch off the engine and put up the handbrake and then turn on the engine again but don't release the handbrake.  The moment you release the handbrake the DRL will turn on.  Maybe there is a better way to do it, I am also waiting for better advice.  

• Praise 1

What I do is switch off the engine and put up the handbrake and then turn on the engine again but don't release the handbrake.  The moment you release the handbrake the DRL will turn on.  Maybe there is a better way to do it, I am also waiting for better advice.  

Thanks Bro,

Will try later and I assume it must be done in the sequences as you mention: 

1) Gear in PARKED position and "parking brake" (Leg operated) depressed.

2) Switch Off Engine 

3) Start Engine again with "parking brake" (leg operated) still in depressed position.

Will let you know result later.

Thanks

Thanks Bro,

Will try later and I assume it must be done in the sequences as you mention:

1) Gear in PARKED position and "parking brake" (Leg operated) depressed.

2) Switch Off Engine

3) Start Engine again with "parking brake" (leg operated) still in depressed position.

Thanks

The DRL switching off procedure works!!!!

Thank you AtlisOwner for sharing.

Thanks Bro,

Will try later and I assume it must be done in the sequences as you mention: 

1) Gear in PARKED position and "parking brake" (Leg operated) depressed.

2) Switch Off Engine 

Thanks

Gentle reminder that you may be fined if caught with engine idling when parked.

• Praise 1

How can Compression Ratio be adjusted.?Your engine head can move up & down.? [rolleyes]

On this, for cars i not sure, however for bikes.......the Honda CBR600RR, supersports with compression of iirc 12.8:1, when that same lump was severely detuned from 115ps to <70ps / compression from 12.8 down to 11.3:1    for street use commuting duties, .....while Honda says that >90% of the engine's internals are unchanged,.....the journo reported that from eye power, the head-gasket is obviously much thicker.  :)

Above since possible since conversely, when I googed on how to extract more from a NA engine, some sources pointed to getting a custom ordered 'thinner' head-gasket.

yES,ecu TUNING can do alot of thing,my Mazda 6 just got tuned,to use 98 petrol only[factory tuned for both 95 & 98 petrol],power is better now.

You really like to tune dont you?  :)

• Praise 2

To clarify, its coz I see that for Honda, for the >2L NA, e.g., Odyssey, the engine which appears to be the same lump used, when JDM, its 11.1:1.  However, for export (AD), its at 10.1:1.  

However, for the small Fit/Jazz 1.5 with L15B engine, be it JDM or export, comp remains at 11.5:1.     

Above is where I got the idea from.  

Ignition retard should save most engines.  However, I also believe that there is a baseline where "thats the lowest to go whereby the engine can catch most of the 'ping'."  In the case of SkyActiv, at 14:1, 95 is stated to be the minimum.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2