ECoupons? anyone?

Ahgong

It's a way forward. But printout to display? How to print if you are on the road? [laugh] [laugh]

idea from students who dun drive and own a car?  :huh:

It's a way forward. But printout to display? How to print if you are on the road? [laugh] [laugh]

From what I read, it's a one time thing (per car). You register for the service, print out a QR code, display it.

Topups for parking are all linked to the same QR code sticker, so you don't have to print out a new one every time when driving.

Edited by Turboflat4

From what I read, it's a one time thing (per car). You register for the service, print out a QR code, display it.

Topups for parking are all linked to the same QR code sticker, so you don't have to print out a new one every time when driving.

Like that ah? Then should make a car decal with QR code for anyone who registered for the service.

In my opinion, it's not a bad system, but I dislike having a multiplicity of systems for the same thing.

The printed coupon system is the legacy method. It's inefficient, bad for the environment, prone to cheating and is also labour-intensive to enforce.

Which was why they were phasing those out in favour of gantries and stored value cashcards. That solves most of the problems of the printed coupon system while possibly introducing a couple of other minor issues.

This ecoupon thing would be a step backward. While it has the advantage of saving legacy carparks from the costs of setting up and maintaining a gantry and cashcard reader, it still retains the disadvantage of needing roving humans to read each car individually.

I see only two outcomes that make sense here:

1) the ecoupon thing is disregarded in favour of gantries and cashcards -> the project is totally unprofitable

2) the ecoupon thing is adopted as a temporising measure to tide some carparks over until they can install gantries -> at best limited profitability for the project.

I think the first scenario is the most likely, and the second one much less so. There are already a lot of printed coupon booklets in circulation, and it would be a huge cost and waste to take them all back.

Like that ah? Then should make a car decal with QR code for anyone who registered for the service.

Sure, but a nice plastic decal would inflate the cost of the service.

Ownself print ownself is a cheap and quick solution. :D

• Praise 1

Cheap? Don't bet on it when credit card and paypal are involved [sly]

the ERP system has saved alot of labor cost by not needing a parking officer to check for tickets, now this app wants garmen to hire more officers?

also can see the carparks which require coupons have declined alot. this app serves a dying mkt here, duno abt overseas,

Also cannot make much $ from this lah, if they charge more than wat garmen is charging, then nobody will bother using this app, so how they make $???

Twincharged

In my opinion, it's not a bad system, but I dislike having a multiplicity of systems for the same thing.

The printed coupon system is the legacy method. It's inefficient, bad for the environment, prone to cheating and is also labour-intensive to enforce.

Which was why they were phasing those out in favour of gantries and stored value cashcards. That solves most of the problems of the printed coupon system while possibly introducing a couple of other minor issues.

This ecoupon thing would be a step backward. While it has the advantage of saving legacy carparks from the costs of setting up and maintaining a gantry and cashcard reader, it still retains the disadvantage of needing roving humans to read each car individually.

I see only two outcomes that make sense here:

1) the ecoupon thing is disregarded in favour of gantries and cashcards -> the project is totally unprofitable

2) the ecoupon thing is adopted as a temporising measure to tide some carparks over until they can install gantries -> at best limited profitability for the project.

I think the first scenario is the most likely, and the second one much less so. There are already a lot of printed coupon booklets in circulation, and it would be a huge cost and waste to take them all back.

Sure, but a nice plastic decal would inflate the cost of the service.

I think this one is mainly for those URA carparks which are by the roads and not possible to install the gantries.

i'm in favour of the EPS system.

what's more, the new generation IU can use ez-link card and most EPS system accepts this method of payment. 

which means, i can use my EZ-link for transport, and at the same time use it to pay for EPS.

Also, since my EZ-link is on EZ-Reload, this means i can earn points and at the same time do not need to worry about insufficient balance anymore.

• Praise 1

yep. its a one time thing only

the ERP system has saved alot of labor cost by not needing a parking officer to check for tickets, now this app wants garmen to hire more officers?

also can see the carparks which require coupons have declined alot. this app serves a dying mkt here, duno abt overseas,

Also cannot make much $ from this lah, if they charge more than wat garmen is charging, then nobody will bother using this app, so how they make $???

they can always force you to use the syste, by not printing anymore paper coupons.

and once the current batch of coupons are exhausted, you will have no choice but to use it.

much like the Restricted Zone paper coupons that were phased out in favor of the ERP gantries that are now in use.

cornering you by reducing your choices is the MO that had been used countless times.

the only thing the article never state is how the charging will be based. will it follow the current coupon method?

or will it be dynamic depending on the location and the zone that you are parking at.

Cannot use car plate number to identify? Parking warden just key in the car plate, and and all e-coupon purchase information should be able retrieve.

• Praise 1

Cannot use car plate number to identify? Parking warden just key in the car plate, and and all e-coupon purchase information should be able retrieve.

[laugh] typing is also going the way of the dinosaur.  [laugh]

Twincharged

Its quite troublesome for the warden la. Alot of the wardens are those old aunties and they type numberplate very slowly. Can't imagine they have to type in the numberplate of every single car. Lol.

↡ Advertisement