Is fiat still alive in SG?

Lchong

That's precisely what I am saying and that's precisely why all these secondary brands don't sell. They basically pricing themselves out of the market. The ADs think they can sell these brands on features, charge the sky and people will bite. Doors has had two revivals here already and it's now withdrawn again. Sometimes the agents just don't learn.

VW did just that... Doesn't make them a first tier brand....
↡ Advertisement

Problem with these car distributors who trade in the second or third tier Continental brands - like Opel, Skoda, Fiat, etc... they think their cars are on par with the first tier brands like VW, etc... and thus charge prices that are very close to those... if they have the mentality that their cars are of the same prestige as second tier Jap brands or even Korean brands, they would have priced the cars the right way and they would fly off the shelf... the Korean brands were clever in their positioning and they have had really good sales...

Skoda pricing confirmed cheaper than VW when still under HA. When I was shopping for a car in 2nd half of 2012, the Superb 2.0T was asking for ~$150K, whereas the Passat 1.4T is ~$158K (2.0T variant was selling at >$170K). And for further comparison, Accord, Camry, Teana were price between $160K - $170K+ (2L variant).

HA downfall is due to their own financial management as far as I know. Skoda is a good brand that produce reasonably good car, that I can attest.

• Praise 4

Last year, I saw plenty of Fiats at Orchard during the weekends..... In fact, a lot of Fiat fans have 4-5 fiats at their bungalow. 

Starting from Jan this year, really not that popular anymore. No more fiats on the road....

does skoda have equivalent of the touran in their stable?  wonder if it is worthwhile to get forum-er help to import.  I remember there was a brother here who imported his own skoda superb into Singapore.

Skoda pricing confirmed cheaper than VW when still under HA. When I was shopping for a car in 2nd half of 2012, the Superb 2.0T was asking for ~$150K, whereas the Passat 1.4T is ~$158K (2.0T variant was selling at >$170K). And for further comparison, Accord, Camry, Teana were price between $160K - $170K+ (2L variant).

HA downfall is due to their own financial management as far as I know. Skoda is a good brand that produce reasonably good car, that I can attest.

does skoda have equivalent of the touran in their stable?  wonder if it is worthwhile to get forum-er help to import.  I remember there was a brother here who imported his own skoda superb into Singapore.

Equivalent should be the Skoda Yeti. That bro should be the only Octavia diesel that he brought into Singapore and I think it's a manual gearbox. So long ago I think that time dun have to test for CEV rebate and no need to test for the 130hp BS. So many testing now you dare to bring in. Your car might be stuck in LTA for testing for months before they release it back to you.

ok........the yeti looks didn't appeal to me that much.

yep, I am also wary of the tests lta is going to conduct.  was hoping that they rely on sampling instead of full checks.  especially given the recent comment by lta spokesman that the tesla brand new model would have skipped the checks as for new cars, they rely on manufacturer declaration.

but I also know it is probably not as easy as that.

Equivalent should be the Skoda Yeti. That bro should be the only Octavia diesel that he brought into Singapore and I think it's a manual gearbox. So long ago I think that time dun have to test for CEV rebate and no need to test for the 130hp BS. So many testing now you dare to bring in. Your car might be stuck in LTA for testing for months before they release it back to you.

Turbocharged

fiats (and alfas) requires more care and tlc, and generally fans are those who have invested their time into it to keep it running (almost) optimally. To them, it can be like a hobby.

Haters are more or less on the other end of the spectrum. They expect the car to serve them, not the other way around.

Back in 2008, I went to FIAT showroom looking to test out the FIAT Bravo and the sales person told me that I need to make an appointment to do so. I gave him a bizzare look and got out to buy another car instead. 

Never step in TTS ever again. 

you want ? I can help you link up. He is now helping his friend import in a Skoda Octavia Greenline aka TDi

ooh.......you know the forumer?  I don't mind being linked up.......

more choices to consider hehe

you want ? I can help you link up. He is now helping his friend import in a Skoda Octavia Greenline aka TDi

Does self importing the vehicle ends up with the person incurring extra cost?

Neutral Newbie

Back in 2008, I went to FIAT showroom looking to test out the FIAT Bravo and the sales person told me that I need to make an appointment to do so. I gave him a bizzare look and got out to buy another car instead.

Never step in TTS ever again.

Stepped into TTS in 2010.

I feel the same way too. But thankfully, my friend came later and intro a sales person which he knows long ago. The ladyboss, is indeed an awesome sales person. She promised most request which makes me feel that i should pen down on the sales agreement.

After collecting my Bravo T-jet, i instantly feel the love for her. She is such a beauty and great to drive around. BUT, the car is not meant for our climate. Power window fail on me after 6mth, cd players unable to read my disc.

Sent the car to TTS, and i dare say that they are the WORSE AD in singapore. Always pushing the blame away, N you to book for appointment b4 sending the car. The ladyboss seem to have forgetten you when you purchased the car from her 6mth ago. She is totally unfriendly and doesnt bother to look you while you were there waiting.

Even if one day, TTS is going to bring in a car which i love to have, i will rather give up and purchase my second in line.

VW did just that... Doesn't make them a first tier brand....

Honestly, just do a quick survey of people who are in the mainstream car brand market. Ask them what better mainstream brand they aspire to? If they're not already driving a Toyota or Honda then maybe these two brands will come up. If they're already driving Toyota or Honda, they will almost inevitably bring up VW. First among equals if nothing else. And some may settle for a slightly cheaper or less well-regarded Continental brand like Renault if no choice...

Skoda pricing confirmed cheaper than VW when still under HA. When I was shopping for a car in 2nd half of 2012, the Superb 2.0T was asking for ~$150K, whereas the Passat 1.4T is ~$158K (2.0T variant was selling at >$170K). And for further comparison, Accord, Camry, Teana were price between $160K - $170K+ (2L variant).

HA downfall is due to their own financial management as far as I know. Skoda is a good brand that produce reasonably good car, that I can attest.

It's all about pricing right in my view. They sold far too few cars to make their operations viable. And that's cos Skoda was set to be premium. Not as premium but at least equal to Toyota or Honda. Obviously we all know what the regular Singapore car buyer voted for with their wallets.

If they price their cars lower still and competed with the second ties of Jap brands and gave the features that made Skoda stand out I felt they would have stood a fighting chance just like the Korean brands did circa 2000 onwards. You need at least a $10K difference for buyers to even consider cos you don't have brand cachet at all.

Edited by teomingern

Honestly, just do a quick survey of people who are in the mainstream car brand market. Ask them what better mainstream brand they aspire to? If they're not already driving a Toyota or Honda then maybe these two brands will come up. If they're already driving Toyota or Honda, they will almost inevitably bring up VW. First among equals if nothing else. And some may settle for a slightly cheaper or less well-regarded Continental brand like Renault if no choice...

It's all about pricing right in my view. They sold far too few cars to make their operations viable. And that's cos Skoda was set to be premium. Not as premium but at least equal to Toyota or Honda. Obviously we all know what the regular Singapore car buyer voted for with their wallets.

If they price their cars lower still and competed with the second ties of Jap brands and gave the features that made Skoda stand out I felt they would have stood a fighting chance just like the Korean brands did circa 2000 onwards. You need at least a $10K difference for buyers to even consider cos you don't have brand cachet at all.

Just being popular does not make one a first tier brand...

fiats (and alfas) requires more care and tlc, and generally fans are those who have invested their time into it to keep it running (almost) optimally. To them, it can be like a hobby.

Haters are more or less on the other end of the spectrum. They expect the car to serve them, not the other way around.

I drove a Fiat Punto 1.2 with 6 speed CVT gearbox from 2005 till last year 2015 where I have to scrap it, regretfully .

It serve me well .Always start on the first turn  .  

Throughout the last 10years  , I serviced it regularly and only change those wear and tear items  .

IMHO ,drivetrain is important ,drive  a Fiat or AR  either on manual or CVT / AUTO transmission . Semi auto gearbox (selespeed)  gaves the most headache .

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Depends on how you want to break it down - 

"mainstream brands" I would think would include

Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Volkswagen and Mazda, probably also the mainline offerings of Mercedes, BMW, Volvo...

Definitely can subcategorise these brands...

Niche brands - 
Certainly Skoda (volume), Alfa (personality), SAAB (parent issues), Renault (maybe), Mitsubishi (volume), Ford (Volume), the chinese brands (quality issues)...
Not to mention all the supercars (a different sort of niche classification) 

Quite where you put Fiat (main stream or niche) could be argued either way....

Aren't mainstream brands a tier in itself? It is so big that it can be further sub-tiered?

Pray tell, what are brands in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc etc tiers in "mainstream brands"?

You wouldn't base on popularity though - 
If you did that, Toyota would come out as a "premium category" 

You'd base the "tier" on a combination of features, price, accessibility, quality, after sales....

If it is based on popularity, I'd hardly think the Korean brands would rank below Opel, Peugeot et al...

You wouldn't base on popularity though - 
If you did that, Toyota would come out as a "premium category" 

You'd base the "tier" on a combination of features, price, accessibility, quality, after sales....

If it is based on popularity, I'd hardly think the Korean brands would rank below Opel, Peugeot et al...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1