Bukit Batok bi-election!

Duckduck

Just saw a ST flash that Chee Soon Juan will be the SDP candidate for the by election.

IMO, Paul Tambyah would have been the better candidate!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 15

Just saw a ST flash that Chee Soon Juan will be the SDP candidate for the by election.

Just saw too! M disappointed, he should have field paul t

Paul t stands a much better chance, if paul t wins, he wins too

• Praise 8

neither CSJ nor Paul would have a chance to win BB bi-election

i think it's a calculated move from CSJ because in last election many already question him why he did not compete in SMC

is he afraid or no confidence?

Edited by Wt_know
  • Praise 2

Frankly speaking he won't stand any chance or even other opp parties...

The west has always been a very stronghold for the MIW ....

• Praise 2

agree. I will not follow this by-election cos there is no way ANY oppo will win. Good luck to SDP for trying anyway

• Praise 6

Agreed but a good defeat ie above 40% thereabouts would have given his party a much needed boost n so too the opposition in general after the thrashing they all suffered at the last GE n I feel PT would have given them a better chance.

• Praise 9

Turbocharged

Agreed but a good defeat ie above 40% thereabouts would have given his party a much needed boost n so too the opposition in general after the thrashing they all suffered at the last GE n I feel PT would have given them a better chance.

The better man was sidelined.

And will not be a MIW but a WIW.

• Praise 3

Agree. CSJ has too much baggage - esp the betrayal of CST. But I suspect he is selfish and wants the glory for himself. After all, a by-election has the highest probability of success and its probably one of his only chances left.... 

And for those who kept saying west is PAP stronghold. Do you think CSJ can actually win in East Coast or Marine Parade or whatever? WP send A teams to these area for years and yet has never been able to win a single seat. In fact, I think perhaps WP should consider moving to other parts of SG. Their support is declining in these areas. The northeast like Hougang has fallen but I suspect the real easterners are strong PAP supporters and has never and will never give up on PAP.

And in case people say things without checking history, Bukit Gombak is one of the first SMCs to fall to Ling How Doong of SDP in 1991. In short, the west has fallen to opposition before any east constituencies have. Bukit Gombak comprise of some HDB near Bt Gombak station but mainly private property in Hillview near Mindef. After the loss, the SMC was absorbed into Hong Kah which was again dismantled and then the same constituency sliced into different GRC every other election. So Gerrymandering at work. But during the time when SDP was in power, the estate was in a mess. And when PAP took over, things look better. Ling How Doong also went into Parliament making laughable speeches. So with that history, do you think people in that area still trust SDP?

So instead of keeping saying things like "west" only vote PAP, perhaps we look a history and see is that statement true? Bt Gombak gave the opposition a chance but they performed badly. Look at the quality of the opposition in the west and how they have damaged their own reputation. If SDP were in the east, it might have done even worse.

I hate to say this but the only way for SDP to survive is to fire CSJ.

• Praise 6

By-election is often seen as it will favour the opposition party. In David's case the residents might felt betrayed or let down becoz of his "personal indiscretion".

Another factor that will affect the outcome of this coming by-election is who will pap select to contest. If they were to field some new face against CSJ I think the chances of them winning are low. If they field a grassroot leader maybe just maybe will win marginally. For now we have to wait and see.

• Praise 1

By-election is often seen as it will favour the opposition party. In David's case the residents might felt betrayed or let down becoz of his "personal indiscretion".

Another factor that will affect the outcome of this coming by-election is who will pap select to contest. If they were to field some new face against CSJ I think the chances of them winning are low. If they field a grassroot leader maybe just maybe will win marginally. For now we have to wait and see.

Let me guess ... "son of bukit batok"? most importantly needs 1 car for himself and 1 for his wife else cannot commute to work. and don't forget to lay cardboard on puddles of water so he can safely cross

↡ Advertisement