Pioneer AVH-X8850BT

Idaddy88

Great info, thanks!

Looks like 5050 cheaper and better..

Do let us know about the muting for 5050~~

1) mute button

8850 has dedicated mute button.

5050 does not have dedicated mute button. You need to press the volume increase/decrease button first and the mute button will show up on screen. That means if you want to map one of your steering wheel buttons to the mute button, may not work for the 5050. Will find out tomorrow when I go to the audio shop to install the steering wheel buttons.

2) graphics

5050 better graphics than 8850.

3) CarPlay & Android Auto

5050 has native support for both CarPlay & Android Auto - plug and play. 8850 only has native support for CarPlay. For Android Auto, need to do some additional work to get it to work.

4) HDMI

8850 has HDMI input. 5050 does not.

5) SD card slot

I think 8850 also has a dedicated SD card slot while the 5050 does not. 

And of course the number of USB ports that Eyke has mentioned.

Not sure if there is any other significant difference.

↡ Advertisement

Great info, thanks!

Looks like 5050 cheaper and better..

Do let us know about the muting for 5050~~

Installed the buttons on the steering wheel today - able to map one of the buttons to the MUTE function for z5050.

This same button can also be mapped to SIRI.

If I m using Waze, which requires me to connect my phone via cable direct to the HU rite, means I cannot stream mp3 from my thumb drive then.

8850, I can still play mp3s while I using Waze connect via cable??

If you are using 8850, it has 2 USB ports. One for phone (depending on Android Auto or Apple Carplay) and the other can be used to play mp3 songs from thumb drive. I do it all the time.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I'm using iPhone 6, and is interested in upgrading to either 8850 or 5050.

Important things I need:

1) Nagivation on my HU with Google map and Waze (not Apple map!), and control by touching the HU, not touching my iPhone.

2) Control my iPhone's Spotify from HU

3) Integrate with my existing Steering Wheel control button (Honda Jazz original steering wheel/button)

Can the above HU models achieve that?

Read on the thread that there are a few bros facing issues with using Iphone on hear models :(

As far as I know, Apple CarPlay does not support Waze. Apple blocks it.

Android Auto does and the Waze control is on my 8850 and not on phone.

Cheers.

Installed the buttons on the steering wheel today - able to map one of the buttons to the MUTE function for z5050.

This same button can also be mapped to SIRI.

One last thing, using iPhone on 5059, can we use Google map or Waze for nagivation easuly?

Not comfy with apple map..

And any lobang to buy/install 5050 cheaply?

Neutral Newbie

One last thing, using iPhone on 5059, can we use Google map or Waze for nagivation easuly?

Not comfy with apple map..

And any lobang to buy/install 5050 cheaply?

Bought a Z5050bt today, but could not run Waze through the AppRadio, the Logo has been added, even the iphone screen becomes like it is sending data to Pioneer, but HU is black... read somewhere that this is because of iOs11, i’m heading home to charge and run my iPhone 5s which is running iOs10, to test...

But apart from Waze, I received a perfect sound quality on my H3, device is quite good, but there is a noise as soon as I connect the cable to my phone, noise comes, switching between carplay and appradio, it goes for few seconds, but again comes.... It is somewhere between ignorable and annoying

• Praise 1

Bought a Z5050bt today, but could not run Waze through the AppRadio, the Logo has been added, even the iphone screen becomes like it is sending data to Pioneer, but HU is black... read somewhere that this is because of iOs11, i’m heading home to charge and run my iPhone 5s which is running iOs10, to test...

But apart from Waze, I received a perfect sound quality on my H3, device is quite good, but there is a noise as soon as I connect the cable to my phone, noise comes, switching between carplay and appradio, it goes for few seconds, but again comes.... It is somewhere between ignorable and annoying

Great info bro..

Let us knwo if the Waze via AppRadio works on iOS10.. my iphone is also on iOS10 ;p but i haven't buy z5050bt yet

Sorry but what's H3? what kind of noise?

Also, does Google Map work via AppRadio?

Edited by Mrpresident

iOS 11 - that could explain why I could get waze to show up on the Z5050 in September but it no longer works when I tried it last week.

Neutral Newbie

Great info bro..

Let us knwo if the Waze via AppRadio works on iOS10.. my iphone is also on iOS10 ;p but i haven't buy z5050bt yet

Sorry but what's H3? what kind of noise?

Also, does Google Map work via AppRadio?

Hi, 

I managed to run Waze on my old phone with iOS10 over AppRadioLive, the visual is perfect, the touch works well (but you can not type, for searching and stuff)

But the only point is: you have to keep your mobile screen on Waze, in order to keep HU show the waze, the moment you open another app, HU is black.

Google Map I guess is not working, actually I did not try, but searching online I guess that is not possible unless you use Android device.

H3, my baby is a Hummer H3, 2007 model.

iOS 11 - that could explain why I could get waze to show up on the Z5050 in September but it no longer works when I tried it last week.

Yes, an update is supposed to come, I guess a firmware update from Pioneer...

I am using Android Auto to connect the HU to my S6. Having fun with the voice command and using Google maps for navigation. This is one of the reason why I went for it, the Google Map is able to recalculate or reroute using traffic conditions and spontaneously recommend the fastest route. When it is reaching the next turn, it will dim down the audio (music) to make sure I can hear the directions clearly.

As my car does not have steering controls, I am unable to comment. But the installer did say that it is universal and reminded me to keep the cables for steering controls which may come in handy some day.

I thought Android Auto is not available on the X8850?

Hi,

Is it advisable to buy a second hand pioneer HU (z5050bt)? considering whether to purchase a export set from local auto shop or buy 2nd hand from website since both options does not come with warranty.

If is to buy 2nd hand, if there any thing i should look out for during the transaction? 

PS: the HU is currently still installed in the seller's car, so i can test all the functions before i commit. 

Thanks in advance for the advise :)

Edited by icebreaker01

I thought Android Auto is not available on the X8850?

Both Android Auto & Car play are available on the 8850... just that u need to side load Android Auto onto ur phone. The link was given in this thread few pages back.

Neutral Newbie

Hi 

Anyone has problem with the radio tuner?

It is perfectly fine at the workshop @ grandstand, but when in hougang and sengkang area the receiving is very poor.

The workshop say there is nothing he can do. 

Any advise?

thanks.

Hi 

It is perfectly fine at the workshop @ grandstand, but when in hougang and sengkang area the receiving is very poor.

Any advise?

thanks.

Check the antenna connection to the hu ? 

if not you may want to consider getting another radio antenna and mount it onto your windscreen. 

Btw how was the radio reception before installing the hu ? 

Edited by Acegem84

Neutral Newbie

Check the antenna connection to the hu ? 

if not you may want to consider getting another radio antenna and mount it onto your windscreen. 

Btw how was the radio reception before installing the hu ? 

it is a new car. So when collecting at workshop it is working fine. I guess the antenna is connected.

Hi Mercur1aI,

Just a question:

When you mirror the iphone thru HDMI mode, will it display on the roof monitor or rear monitor as well?

TIA

Sorry for the later reply. No idea on the roof monitor and rear monitor as i dont have them.

Looks like there is some queries on this set.

I am running 8850 and Iphone 7 on latest IOS.

Waze works fine, screen mirroring works fine as well. However, you will need the following items:

1. Connect USB port on 8850 to a Apple HDMI Adaptor. https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD826AM/A/lightning-digital-av-adapter

the HDMI adaptor has 2 ports. 1 is for you to plug in a lightning cable, the other a HDMI cable. So one end of the hdmi in this adaptor, the other plug into the back of the 8850.

Then just plug the adaptor's lighting dock into your iphone and you will be able to activate appradio as well as do screen mirroring.

For appradio, just go to apps to utilize it. For screen mirroring, using the drop down menu on top left hand corner where you select between SD/Radio/USB etc, just go to HDMI and you will see your iphone screen being mirrored.

In appradio mode, waze works fine, however, searching of places etc is via your iphone. Touchscreen on 8850 allows you to do some stuff like moving the map around, looking for alternative routes etc but sometimes can be a little buggy. Resolution when running waze on the 8850 is a bit grainy as well, definitely not HD but works well.

The HDMI adaptor can be a little bulky and unsightly. To get around it, i bought an extension cable. Everything is hidden, with only the extension cable coming out onto my console area. However, i tried various extension cables but they do not work. The only one that works for me is this one: https://cablejive.com/dockxtender/

A little pricey but so far works perfect.

Edited by Mercur1al

Hi

Any advise?

thanks.

U can install a booster, which I did.
↡ Advertisement