Pioneer AVH-X8850BT

Idaddy88

Neutral Newbie

Can't you play any radio station you like through the Google or Apple app on the AVH-X8850BT without using the tuner anyway?

As long as you have internet access.

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

I have the 8850 setup for CarPlay. It works with iPhone 6 and SE but not for my iPhone 5S. Says accessory not supported. Apple website says supported for iPhone 5 onwards. My iOS is already updated as is the firmware on the 8850. Anyone facing the same problem?

Thanks

Neutral Newbie

I am using the 8850 with my iPhone 7 Plus. 

Is anyone irritated that system notification sounds such as WhatsApp cannot be heard? Is there a workaround? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your replies. 

Is anyone irritated that system notification sounds such as WhatsApp cannot be heard? Is there a workaround? Or am I doing something wrong?

Notification sound? You tend to peek the WhatsApp msg?

Neutral Newbie

Notification sound? You tend to peek the WhatsApp msg?

Yes. I'm irritated that when I receive WhatsApp messages, there is no notification sound, and I miss important messages.

Yes. I'm irritated that when I receive WhatsApp messages, there is no notification sound, and I miss important messages.

Hmm I reckon it should be safety reason that is why no notification sound.
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Hmm I reckon it should be safety reason that is why no notification sound.

No, you can receive notifications from Apple's messaging service. It's just that WhatsApp is 3rd party and not native to Apple.

Bro, Apple Carplay does not support WhatsApp if that is what you are asking. Meaning if you plug your iphone into your 8850 using Carplay during driving, u won't know if there is WhatsApp messages coming in. You will only see if after u stop driving and unplug from your 8850.

On the other hand, Android Auto supports it (i.e. WhatsApp messages comes to display on the 8850 AA screen).

Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

It would probably be a good thing if neither type of phone displayed messages on screen. There are enough accidents already with people texting while driving. I don't use WhatsApp, but is there a way to make it do text to voice? That would be much safer. 

Edited by whitey66

It would probably be a good thing if neither type of phone displayed messages on screen. There are enough accidents already with people texting while driving. I don't use WhatsApp, but is there a way to make it do text to voice? That would be much safer. 

the way Android Auto handles it is to display a banner with the name of the person messaging you (you can set the permission on your phone to turn this notification on or off).  On that banner is a default option to click and send the message 'I am driving', or you can click on the name to have the message read back to you in text to voice, then a prompt to reply via voice to text.  There is no message displayed.

Neutral Newbie

the way Android Auto handles it is to display a banner with the name of the person messaging you (you can set the permission on your phone to turn this notification on or off).  On that banner is a default option to click and send the message 'I am driving', or you can click on the name to have the message read back to you in text to voice, then a prompt to reply via voice to text.  There is no message displayed.

Thanks for that info, that sounds a lot safer than a text message coming up on the screen.

I'll be using Android with mine when I finish installing it.

I decided to go with a GM-A4704 Amp, TS-WX120A under seat subwoofer, pioneer ND-BC6 reversing camera, TS-D1730C splits for the front and use the existing 6 x 9 350W Pioneers in the back to go with the new head unit. I'm halfway through installing it, should have it finished tomorrow. What are others using with this head unit??

Anyone know of any workshop who knows how to install this for a 2017 Subaru BRZ? With steering wheel controls and OEM AUX and USB ports.

Anyone know of any workshop who knows how to install this for a 2017 Subaru BRZ? With steering wheel controls and OEM AUX and USB ports.

Audio Solutions will be able to help you, look for Vincent.

Their address is 71-81 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408830