SGD 300,000 budget for a used car... 740i or Panamera or ?

conti-man

Turbocharged

Neither ... I will buy a Quattroporte ... 

too many GB problem for used maserati QP. 

the panamera is not bad, but as someone said, id rather buy a new macan with peace of mind. i think the macan is currently about 280k, so you'll have change left over to make your wife happy also :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

the panamera is not bad, but as someone said, id rather buy a new macan with peace of mind. i think the macan is currently about 280k, so you'll have change left over to make your wife happy also :D

I am that someone.  [laugh]

ps. too much time in hand. [thumbsup]

Supercharged

make wife happy is use strength not money.

18009491.jpg

• Praise 3

Bro. Have you considered the servicing and out of warranty car parts if you buy a second hand super luxurious car. It can easily set you back alot for a super luxurious car. Why not settle for a less luxurious brand new car and enjoy the free servicing as well as warranty? You can change your car once the servicing and warranty runs out. 

• Praise 2

Hi friends

As above.  I'm considering a BMW 740i 3-litre or a Porsche Panamera 3-litre.  Any comments?  I also welcome any other suggestions. Thank you in advance.

I will consider brand new instead of used car, because a lot of unpredictable issues among of used cars, especially those premium high end Conti cars, if you like SUV, within you budget recommended:

1. Porsche Cayenne 3.6, 29.7k

2. BMW X5 3.5, 30k

3. Range Rover Evoque 2.0HSE, 27.5k

4. Audi Q7 2.0T, 28.9k

6. XC90 T6 2.0T, 31.5k

7. Mercedes GLE400, 30.1k

• Praise 1

Twincharged

I will consider brand new instead of used car, because a lot of unpredictable issues among of used cars, especially those premium high end Conti cars, if you like SUV, within you budget recommended:

1. Porsche Cayenne 3.6, 29.7k

2. BMW X5 3.5, 30k

3. Range Rover Evoque 2.0HSE, 27.5k

4. Audi Q7 2.0T, 28.9k

6. XC90 T6 2.0T, 31.5k

7. Mercedes GLE400, 30.1k

Do not know abt the rest but Cayenne 297k is before options (easily 40-60k) and COE.

Turbocharged

I like the Panamera more than the 7-series, but this price range has been always way out for me so I didn't do much research.

However if I was looking for such upmarket cars, my personal taste lies with the Audi A7

Thank you for the various inputs.  I appreciate the the wide range of views offered.  Perhaps I share more of my thoughts with those who are interested.

My rationale for buying a used car, as opposed to a new car, is to let the 1st owner absorb a disproportionately large share of the depreciation for the first few years that he owned the car, so that my depreciation per year for the remaining years is much lower. Basically, I want to get more value compared to another person who buys the same car brand new.

Once I'm on the road, there is no difference whether I bought the car in its 3rd year or I bought the car brand new and the car is now in its 3rd year.

Someone opined that used cars have more maintenance problems.  Well, even if I buy a new car this year, it will become an old car 3 years later. The only difference is that the buyer of a used car does not enjoy the use of a brand new car in the first few years.  After that, it is the same in both scenarios.  Maintenance problems will still surface from the 5th or 6th year onward, whether I buy the car brand new or in its 3rd year.

If the car is a lemon (ie a car that has many problems due to manufacturing issues), whether I buy it brand new or second hand, there is no escape because the chance is random.  It is a matter of luck.

Perhaps the only difference is if the 1st owner drove the car very hard and caused some permanent damage.

I have no doubt that Merc E-series is a very competent car.  Since I mentioned that my budget is SGD 300k, I'm targeting cars that cost $400k to $550k when brand new.  If I want to buy a used Merc E-series, my budget would be SGD 200k.

I feel that Audi A7 is in a different league to start with, although it was targeting the same market segment as BM 6-series GC, Merc CLS, etc.  But now Audi A7 has launched a 2-litre version.  So it has decidedly expanded to a lower segment.

I thank the friend who recommended Porsche Macan and other interesting SUVs. I personally don't like SUV because of the high centre of gravity.  It feels less stable if you do a sharp corner fast.

Someone also called BM 740i and Porsche Panamera super luxury cars.  Actually, these 2 models are commonly regarded as higher end executive cars.  I would use the term super luxury cars to refer to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and the much more expensive Porsche models.  That's why I specified Porsche Panamera 3-litre, which is now the base model. 

I welcome anybody to share his opinion, especially those who provide different perspectives.  In fact, that's how we learn from each other and make wiser decisions in our lives.

• Praise 9

Twincharged

Thank you for the various inputs.  I appreciate the the wide range of views offered.  Perhaps I share more of my thoughts with those who are interested.

My rationale for buying a used car, as opposed to a new car, is to let the 1st owner absorb a disproportionately large share of the depreciation for the first few years that he owned the car, so that my depreciation per year for the remaining years is much lower. Basically, I want to get more value compared to another person who buys the same car brand new.

Once I'm on the road, there is no difference whether I bought the car in its 3rd year or I bought the car brand new and the car is now in its 3rd year.

Someone opined that used cars have more maintenance problems.  Well, even if I buy a new car this year, it will become an old car 3 years later. The only difference is that the buyer of a used car does not enjoy the use of a brand new car in the first few years.  After that, it is the same in both scenarios.  Maintenance problems will still surface from the 5th or 6th year onward, whether I buy the car brand new or in its 3rd year.

If the car is a lemon (ie a car that has many problems due to manufacturing issues), whether I buy it brand new or second hand, there is no escape because the chance is random.  It is a matter of luck.

Perhaps the only difference is if the 1st owner drove the car very hard and caused some permanent damage.

I have no doubt that Merc E-series is a very competent car.  Since I mentioned that my budget is SGD 300k, I'm targeting cars that cost $400k to $550k when brand new.  If I want to buy a used Merc E-series, my budget would be SGD 200k.

I feel that Audi A7 is in a different league to start with, although it was targeting the same market segment as BM 6-series GC, Merc CLS, etc.  But now Audi A7 has launched a 2-litre version.  So it has decidedly expanded to a lower segment.

I thank the friend who recommended Porsche Macan and other interesting SUVs. I personally don't like SUV because of the high centre of gravity.  It feels less stable if you do a sharp corner fast.

Someone also called BM 740i and Porsche Panamera super luxury cars.  Actually, these 2 models are commonly regarded as higher end executive cars.  I would use the term super luxury cars to refer to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and the much more expensive Porsche models.  That's why I specified Porsche Panamera 3-litre, which is now the base model. 

I welcome anybody to share his opinion, especially those who provide different perspectives.  In fact, that's how we learn from each other and make wiser decisions in our lives.

Do understand your rationale. If between the 2, then Panamera would really be more bang and prestige for your bucks.

• Praise 1

Thank you for the various inputs. I appreciate the the wide range of views offered. Perhaps I share more of my thoughts with those who are interested.

Someone opined that used cars have more maintenance problems. Well, even if I buy a new car this year, it will become an old car 3 years later. The only difference is that the buyer of a used car does not enjoy the use of a brand new car in the first few years. After that, it is the same in both scenarios. Maintenance problems will still surface from the 5th or 6th year onward, whether I buy the car brand new or in its 3rd year.

If the car is a lemon (ie a car that has many problems due to manufacturing issues), whether I buy it brand new or second hand, there is no escape because the chance is random. It is a matter of luck.

I have no doubt that Merc E-series is a very competent car. Since I mentioned that my budget is SGD 300k, I'm targeting cars that cost $400k to $550k when brand new. If I want to buy a used Merc E-series, my budget would be SGD 200k.

I feel that Audi A7 is in a different league to start with, although it was targeting the same market segment as BM 6-series GC, Merc CLS, etc. But now Audi A7 has launched a 2-litre version. So it has decidedly expanded to a lower segment.

I thank the friend who recommended Porsche Macan and other interesting SUVs. I personally don't like SUV because of the high centre of gravity. It feels less stable if you do a sharp corner fast.

Someone also called BM 740i and Porsche Panamera super luxury cars. Actually, these 2 models are commonly regarded as higher end executive cars. I would use the term super luxury cars to refer to Bentley, Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Aston Martin and the much more expensive Porsche models. That's why I specified Porsche Panamera 3-litre, which is now the base model.

I welcome anybody to share his opinion, especially those who provide different perspectives. In fact, that's how we learn from each other and make wiser decisions in our lives.

I'm unsure about depre of old luxury cars but it seemed preowned ones still depre lesser than new one. It's true maintenance issue arises w time but if bought new then at least covered by warranty n u enjoy problem free longer. But if preowned depre less n still covered under agent warranty then go ahead. For ultimate comfort I'll go for 7 series; for speed, I'll go for pana.

My suggestion:

Forget about what depreciation or value for money. Use the 300k as downpayment, take some loan, buy a m6 gran coupe. YOLO.

↡ Advertisement