Atrecord

After Paris, now it's Brussels...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35869254

Brussels Zaventem airport blasts cause casualties
  • 5 minutes ago
  •  
  • From the sectionEurope

Media captionPeople fled Brussels airport after two explosions went off

Two blasts have struck the departures area of Zaventem airport in Brussels.

The Belgian government has confirmed casualties but has given no numbers. The cause of the explosions is unknown.

Another explosion has now been reported at a metro station close to the EU institutions. The whole metro system has been closed.

The blasts come four days after the capture in Brussels of Salah Abdeslam, the main suspect in the jihadist attacks in Paris on 13 November 2015.

Belgium has now raised its terror threat to its highest level.

Brussels airport blasts - latest updates

Emergency services are clearing the airport completely. Belgium's Het Laatste Nieuws reports that more bombs have been found.

The airport is being evacuated and has been closed to flights.

The Belga news agency reports that shots were fired and shouts in Arabic were heard before the two explosions.

Media captionDamage at the departure lounge of Brussels airport

Images on social media showed smoke rising from one of the buildings, amid reports of panic as people fled the airport.

Rail transport to the facility has been halted and people have been told not to come to the airport.

All flights have been diverted.

Other reports say at least one of the explosions was close to the American Airlines check-in area but this has not been confirmed.

The Belgian broadcaster RTBF quoted a witness as saying there were people injured or unconscious in the departure area, opposite the Sheraton hotel.

There are few reports yet about the metro blast.

Niels Caignau, a Swissport employee, told Flemish broadcaster VRT: "I was on a break and heard and felt a big explosion - we have from here a view over the departure hall and saw a plume of smoke come out.

"The windows are completely shattered. People went outside in shock. It doesn't look good."

Belgium's Interior Minister Jan Jambon had said on Monday that the country was on the highest level of alert for possible revenge attacks after the capture of Salah Abdeslam.

He told Belgian radio: "We know that stopping one cell can... push others into action. We are aware of it in this case."

Zaventem airport is 11km (7 miles) north-east of Brussels and dealt with more than 23 million passengers last year.

↡ Advertisement

Belgium is fast becoming the hotspot for terror.

All those terrorist wankers need to take a chill pill and relax. Fight with their own demons in their heads instead of involving the innocents

Edited by ins1dious

Praise to K Shanmugam for plans to ramp up SG CT security measures.

RIP victims and condolences to their families. 

Perhaps it is time to re-watch 24 and update ringtone to CTU's version...

• Praise 1

Siao liao..

My family and I going to Paris, Belgium(Brussel) and Germany this May (Sch holiday) [sweatdrop]

Accomdation booked! :mellow:

• Praise 8

Utter Madness; why take it out on innocent people !!!!!!!

ISIS (if its the one) should be screwed, but no one can take them on, they seem always one step ahead of the game)  

• Praise 1

Siao liao..

My family and I going to Paris, Belgium(Brussel) and Germany this May (Sch holiday) [sweatdrop]

Don't worry too much. This things can happens any part of the world nows a day.

Siao liao..

can try to claim travel insurance if you have bought already, even if there isnt a clause to cover this.

they might reimburse you on goodwill basis

please ask uncle sam to nuke them once and for all.

you can run but you can never hide.

Uncle Sam during the 60's was powerful, now Uncle Sam go back to old style like built Great Wall of China and stop Mexicans from coming in; WTF mexicans do; only cum to work only leh!! and maybe a couple of murders here n there;

Nuke ISIS  also will involve innocent lives and worldwide anger too ;

The Ruskies aren't exactly gloating... but there's some schadenfreude when they say;

"you can't support terrorists in one part of the world and expect them not to hit anywhere else"

I agree...

• Praise 4

please ask uncle sam to nuke them once and for all.

you can run but you can never hide.

Soon when trump become president, if that was what you want.

Don't worry too much. This things can happens any part of the world nows a day.

not really. There is one place on earth that if ISIS dares to attack, the rest of the non-extremist community also will not give face liao.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I think its a retaliation to the capture of the Paris attack mastermind. [shakehead]

the same mastermind who chucked his suicide vest into a bin and ran off into hiding like a rat while his followers blew themselves up?

yeah worth retaliating for...

they kill because they're nutjobs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5