2016 / 2017 Subaru Impreza

Carbon82

Neutral Newbie

The sales person never tell you they will be changing the headunit?.

They would also switch the harman-kardon speakers.

Here is a link/s to a checklist for your new ride. Some good fellas have compiled it.

http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/1802820-new-car-checklist/

No leh my SE never tell me anything until I signed the papers. The bugger only told me can support Apple Carplay nia. And when he mentioned the Panasonic HU, he just mentioned it casually. Like "Oh, your car is in the workshop now installing leather seats and the Panasonic HU". I hear liao also stunned.  

I'm curious how it looks like. Anyone can post any pictures? Don't really understand why MI would show the stock HU in their showroom and test drive car, but change the HU to the Panasonic HU in the actual car. This sales tactics power  [thumbsdown]

↡ Advertisement

No leh my SE never tell me anything until I signed the papers. The bugger only told me can support Apple Carplay nia. And when he mentioned the Panasonic HU, he just mentioned it casually. Like "Oh, your car is in the workshop now installing leather seats and the Panasonic HU". I hear liao also stunned.  

I'm curious how it looks like. Anyone can post any pictures? Don't really understand why MI would show the stock HU in their showroom and test drive car, but change the HU to the Panasonic HU in the actual car. This sales tactics power  [thumbsdown]

Both TP and LK showroom don't show the HU with CarPlay/ Android. Where did u test drive or viewed the car?.

Neutral Newbie

Both TP and LK showroom don't show the HU with CarPlay/ Android. Where did u test drive or viewed the car?.

LK Showroom. The red Impreza with the body kit. When the SE was giving me the once over of that particular car, he definitely mentioned 8" HU + Apple CarPlay.

Well, guess it's my fault that I didn't check out every thing when I test drove the car. I got caught in the SE's pace...  [dead]  [dead]  [dead]

Neutral Newbie

hi, my car is a 1.6 from last year April 17. the driver side outer door handle has the chrome paint coming off, any bros out there got lobang to fix or anyone knows if can be fixed under warranty? thanks in advance!

I had the same problem and got it changed (free) new handle just last month. my car is July 2017 5D 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Nonsense on heat from engine cause higher front temp. I pump all equal and they remain same or rear will be higher by 5 to 10.

Tyres pressure depend on load. If only front pax front will be around 235 when cold with rear 225/230. After a few minutes of driving, you will see the pressure going up.

If carry rear pax, pressure can be same. Look at driver side, indicate in pax configuration to the pressure.

You also need to set the TPMS setting via pressing and holding down the Button at the driver dash panel side, then select the correcting setting 1,2 or 3. Can’t remember which setting is for what, so go read the manual.

Can check pressure based on the pump readin vs TPMS, no need to buy simi digital gage. Or go other petrol station compare the pump reading with TPMS

from the Owner's Manual, set '1' for 2 in the car n set '2' for all seats occupied loads. Also said, TPMS activate only when the car is moving above 40 Km/h.

I had the same problem and got it changed (free) new handle just last month. my car is July 2017 5D

thanks friend, which handle did you change? did they say why it's so lousy, how long did it take?
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

thanks friend, which handle did you change? did they say why it's so lousy, how long did it take?

the driver side outer door handle, same as yours.  Took one month to order parts and replace took 1/2 day. Noticed it about 4 months back.  They should get you new replacement free. 

LK Showroom. The red Impreza with the body kit. When the SE was giving me the once over of that particular car, he definitely mentioned 8" HU + Apple CarPlay.

Well, guess it's my fault that I didn't check out every thing when I test drove the car. I got caught in the SE's pace...  [dead]  [dead]  [dead]

I got pics of the red showroom unit. The HU is not the one with CarPlay bruh.

They could have switched. I did quiz my sales person quite a bit. She was super patient and got me all the answers i needed.

It is a good car though. Enjoy the ride.

(edited)

I am considering to get an XV, can someone add me into whatapps open chat for Subrau

Edited by JuveZzZ

I am considering to get an XV, can someone add me into whatapps open chat for Subrau

Is there a Subi group?.

Can add me too?.

Thanks.

(edited)

Sorry but I have not logged on for awhile so let me answer all the queries in chronological order.

@Reo

Did you look into Halo9? Does it look better or better equipped?

Yes I was considering both the Halo9 and Z9150 but decided on the Pioneer because:
a) Halo9 is actually a single din unit

b) Halo9 does not come with a CD player

c) Halo9 screen is HUGE, if it works it may block the air vents slightly

d) Halo9 screen tilts out a bit which I did not like

I don’t think your installer made the kit, they just resell.

Yes, I was referring to Xtremez Audio finding the bracket and doing all the installation well. I just re-tuned the car again but will do one final upgrade. I am going to add a mid tweeter to make it a full 3 way and install a subwoofer where you installed your Kenwood subwoofer (thanks for the inspiration/recommendation) but I am going for an 8" Audison subwoofer instead (need space to move air)

Hi CheeWah and others who have installed 9150, does it interface well with all the steering wheel control ? 

Yes, you need to add in an extra item so it works with your steering wheel control but everything works fine.

@CheshireKoh

Just wondering, are there any Subaru/Impreza/MI specific items/features that I should be checking when I pick up my car?

There are a few things but I think it would be better to get it outside as they are cheaper. I would recommend the following:

a) Auto folding mirrors when you lock your car (it is a basic relay)
b) FRONT SOLAR FILM! MI refuses to do this but I can assure you it does not impact your EyeSight at all. Just do not install the extra dark tint layer on top. Also recommend clear solar film for your sunroof if you tend to let light in often (I do)

Also, I read above that MI will change the HU to a Panasonic HU??? I thought the HU should have been the same as the one we test drove/on display in MI? No one make noise meh?   :a-confused:

All XV & Impreza comes with the Panasonic headunit which I absolutely hate. If you want to use Waze on your iPhone you need to install some kind of link app and it only has Waze with very bad resolutions and is EXTREMELY SLOW - totally unusable.
Edited by cheewah0

All XV & Impreza comes with the Panasonic headunit which I absolutely hate. If you want to use Waze on your iPhone you need to install some kind of link app and it only has Waze with very bad resolutions and is EXTREMELY SLOW - totally unusable.

If it's any consolation, the older HK headunit cannot use waze on carplay unless you jailbreak your phone. Waze can work for Android Auto, but connection is so bad, I have to change from Android to Apple so that it can connect better. Still not so stable even with Iphones with the HK head unit.

Existing apple map sucks big time for Carplay. It simply refused to focus on local addresses and consistently direct to US. 

Have to wait for Sep 2018 with the IOS12 which enable Waze on Carplay, unless you want to download Beta version, then again is jailbreaking which many are not so keen with Iphone X.

4th Gear

A feature not seen on other car models is for cold start, the coolant temperature indicator stayed on blue for a few minutes while the engine is revved up automatically to warm up.  I've read elsewhere modern engine does not need warming up (plus environmental consideration...). 

So far, I've not managed to find the answer.  Many a time, I'll wait for about 30 seconds after starting, and then I'll move off, but keeping RPM below 2k.  By the time I exit the carpark, the light would have gone off.

Question: is this practice harmful for the engine.  What about moving off almost immediately after starting, considering our tropical temperature rarely goes below 25 and almost never below 21.

(edited)

A feature not seen on other car models is for cold start, the coolant temperature indicator stayed on blue for a few minutes while the engine is revved up automatically to warm up.  I've read elsewhere modern engine does not need warming up (plus environmental consideration...). 

So far, I've not managed to find the answer.  Many a time, I'll wait for about 30 seconds after starting, and then I'll move off, but keeping RPM below 2k.  By the time I exit the carpark, the light would have gone off.

Question: is this practice harmful for the engine.  What about moving off almost immediately after starting, considering our tropical temperature rarely goes below 25 and almost never below 21.

Regarding your "I've read elsewhere modern engine does not need warming up (plus environmental consideration." No, modern engine will still need to warm up to bring the engine up to optimum operating temperature and to allow proper lubrication within.

Owner's Manual for my car (Hyundai) states that once engine started, it is good to drive off immediately but just light driving will do until normal temperature has reached. For our environment, there is no need to start the car and idle to warm up the car for awhile.

Usually I will turn the ignition power on and waited a few seconds before full crank. After that, will drive off immediately. When the engine is cold, the idling will be higher, afterwards, when the operating temperature has reached, the rpm will be lowered.

Key point here is: Warm up is necessary, first to allow circulation of lubrication for the engine, but stagnant idling is not recommended. Just start off and drive off lightly and secondly this allows the transmission fluids to circulate altogether other than just the engine.

A colleague of mine, who doesn't believe in warming up and do hard driving immediately in his Honda FD, simply believe the logic is (his logic), the engine components already covered with lubricant, so it is ok to just drive, and drive hard after start up, but at a mileage of 80k plus km, his gearbox is giving him problems already despite regular servicing.

Edited by Heartbreakid

4th Gear

Thanks for your response HeartbreakKid.

Having owned my first car since more than 25 years ago  [;)], I'm well aware of what you said.

Question is for the latest Impreza, it automatically revved up till like 2k rpm for a few minutes, which makes it very different than the rest I owned.  There must be a idiosyncratic reason for Subaru to do it.

Regarding your "I've read elsewhere modern engine does not need warming up (plus environmental consideration." No, modern engine will still need to warm up to bring the engine up optimum operating temperature and to allow complete lubrication within.

Owner's Manual for my car (Hyundai) states that once engine started, it is good to drive off immediately but not to rev, just light driving will do until normal temperature has reached. For our environment, there is no need to start the car and idle to warm up the car for awhile.

Usually I will turn the ignition power on and waited a few seconds before full crank. After that, will drive off immediately. When the engine is cold, the idling will be higher, afterwards, when the operating temperature has reached, the rpm will be lowered.

Key point here is: Warm up is necessary, first to allow circulation of lubrication for the engine, but stagnant idling is not recommended. Just start off and drive off lightly and secondly this allows the transmission fluids to circulate altogether other than just the engine.

↡ Advertisement