SPH kenna from LWL

Jellandross

Supercharged

I have grounds to believe that LKY ACTUALLY wants to be remembered more.

Look at the books he has written? His aspirations, his legacies HIStory? And those numerous news articles published, some are interviews with him, many years before his passing.

Aren't these reflecting of a man that wants to be remembered? I find many of the stories rehashed until like dunno whether its true or not.

I also believe that he spoke too early and quite long ago that he does not want to be remembered, no statues to honor him, no monuments and demolish Oxley house.

You need to know that when an Emperor issues an Edict, he cannot retract it.

My 2 cents worth of my thoughts.

By his books, I think he wants to pass on the lessons learnt, least they be forgotten.. it's different from wanting statues and monuments..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Look at the books he had written? His aspirations, his legacies HIStory? And those numerous news articles published, some are interviews with him, many years before his passing.

Aren't these reflecting of a man that wants to be remembered? I find many of the stories rehashed until like dunno whether its true or not.

I also believe that he spoke too early and quite long ago that he does not want to be remembered, no statues to honor him, no monuments and demolish Oxley house.

I think you are partially right.

LKY wants to be remembered for his intellect, courage , tenacity and various other qualities and his actions. That explains the books and interviews.

He do not want to be objectified and worshipped as an idol which is meaningless and in the long run dilute his achievements behind a cloud of mythical shroud. 

Just look at the child being instructed to bow to LKY's image.

• Praise 3

In what way? I don't see guys with 7 wives running around leh. LOL  [laugh]

He is hinting to you that he er...... You still don't get it. lol :a-fun:

Just joking.

I think you are partially right.

LKY wants to be remembered for his intellect, courage , tenacity and various other qualities and his actions. That explains the books and interviews.

He do not want to be objectified and worshipped as an idol which is meaningless and in the long run dilute his achievements behind a cloud of mythical shroud.

Just look at the child being instructed to bow to LKY's image.

I realize that I did not make myself clearer

I believe he wants to be remembered BUT not by Statues or monuments but by his works.

• Praise 1

I only remember a few...

1) Shuan Er - the one who know ah Bao the best

2) Jian Ning - the one that like SM

3) ah ke - most beautiful

4) ping Xi princess - "forget Liao"

5) mu mansion princess's elder Sister ( as in kong fu type) - most clever of the 7

6) madam Long (name forgotten) - most skill in martial arts

7) mu mansion princess - most innocent.

So technically I only remember 3 name.

These 3 appeared in KungFu House game, damn chio whoa!

I realize that I did not make myself clearer

I believe he wants to be remembered BUT not by Statues or monuments but by his works.

I believe he wants us to learn and remember the lessons. why he did what he did.

yes, reading the books it does sound self-aggrandizing, and maybe it is, as some know what happen behind the scenes.

But that doesn't mean there isn't anything to learn from.

maybe that's why he didn't want statues.

e.g. look at raffles statue. those who really know raffles story know that it aint pretty.

Edited by Nolicense
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I believe he wants us to learn and remember the lessons. why he did what he did.

yes, reading the books it does sound self-aggrandizing, and maybe it is, as some know what happen behind the scenes.

But that doesn't mean there isn't anything to learn from.

maybe that's why he didn't want statues.

e.g. look at raffles statue. those who really know raffles story know that it aint pretty.

yeah - 

but what political story is really every as lily white as it is portrayed in the books? 

I can't help but think of something I read in a Stephen King book long ago ---

(paraphrasing) 

The reasonable man adapts to the world around him, while the unreasonable man expects the world to adapt to him. 

All the great changes in the world have been brought about by unreasonable men. 

Unfortunately, making great changes doesn't necessarily make one a great man in his personal life (and there's no particular reason why we think it should) 

It shows how mature in thoughts LWL is against her age and education...........yes LHL is a brother at home.................but he is also the PM of a nation..........that alone command respect to not fire domestic issue at him openly.........not unless she is preparing to enter politics against LHL............... 

Many of us must be shocked on how the most respected family in Singapore is washing its dirty linen in public.

If this can happen within the Lee family, why not one day within PAP?  In fact such a situation can play out more easily within PAP.

Lesson learnt for 69.9% if they are smart enough to realise is, what if  it  happens within the PAP one day and there is no strong enough opposition to hold the fort, which they never gave a chance to develop, thanks to their kiasuness ?

We will all be screwed.

• Praise 4

From what I understand - 

LWL feels that LHL is encouraging the memorials - something that as a filial son he shouldn't be doing as it goes against LKY wishes.  

She seems to believe that he is giving things the imprimature of support as he sees benefit to the PAP or his personal standing from having LKY remembered this way.

LHL is a politician..............his dad was a politician...........if i were to be a politician........i would have done the same.........if i cannot have best of both world..............i choose the bigger picture............. 

• Praise 1

Oxley havent demolished mean got someone stay inside

Does anyone know if Oxley Rd still maintains the heavy security presence with the barrier across the road? if yes, it would be shocking. What is there left to secure now? Waste govt resources for what? To protect LWL or LKY's ghost?

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

LHL is a politician..............his dad was a politician...........if i were to be a politician........i would have done the same.........if i cannot have best of both world..............i choose the bigger picture............. 

Which goes directly back to LWL's accusation right?  

She's basically accusing LHL of selling out - which is what you have just said, putting politics above honour. 

If that's what he thinks is right - that's his decision to make, just as LWL has made her decision.  

And that decision can be respected, but it cannot be spun as anything other than what it is. 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Very few Singaporeans read books. Reading Facebook and Wikipedia won't count.

I think he is more concerned about those who read books... i.e. the intellectual types who actually can think for themselves [laugh] He tries to explain / justify his thoughts and actions in those books.

A thought exercise for those that are saying they feel sorry for LHL as he has to wear "two hats" or that he is being put into a position of having to balance national interest and personal wishes...

What would you think if he did something similar to the below... 

My Fellow Singaporeans, 

The first anniversary of my late father is approaching.  As a son this is an extremely difficult time for me - remembering with great pride, as any son does, the achievements of a father.  His passing has left a large void for me.  I miss him not only as any son does a father, but also on a more professional level I miss him as a mentor, I miss his guidance and strategic thinking and I miss the insight he brings to many issues. 

As a Singaporean I want to thank him for bringing us forward to where we are today, and I fully understand the wish that many have to pay their respects through public ceremonies.  My role as a son conflicts directly with this - Papa was very clear and straightforward that he didn't want a cult of personality to arise around him, not that time and resources should be spent in his honour - preferring that we should place resources into moving forward, not looking back. 

With my role as a filial son being so diametrically opposed to following the wishes of my constituents, and as this is an issue of conscience that has no direct impact on the governing of Singapore, I am recusing myself all discussions regarding what should, or should not be done in memorialistion of our founding Prime Minister, Mr. Lee Kuan Yew - a government committee has been set-up to discuss the issue, and they will be announcing the appropriate decision from the standpoint of the Government of Singapore. 

In the meantime, and while they are undertaking their deliberations, as a family we will be taking our own private time to reflect on the passing of Papa, and we will be remembering and paying our respects in a manner that suits us as individuals.  I request that all of Singapore allows me, my siblings and our families the space to mourn the passing of a dearly loved father as we see fit.  

okok...............we all know you are into PR..............next time I have a press release.............i shall engage your service............ [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Look at the books he had written? His aspirations, his legacies HIStory? And those numerous news articles published, some are interviews with him, many years before his passing.

he can issue another one.................to have the last one cancelled..............there is always an order call..............."last order cancel"........... [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Many of us must be shocked on how the most respected family in Singapore is washing its dirty linen in public.

If this can happen within the Lee family, why not one day within PAP?  In fact such a situation can play out more easily within PAP.

Lesson learnt for 69.9% if they are smart enough to realise is, what if  it  happens within the PAP one day and there is no strong enough opposition to hold the fort, which they never gave a chance to develop, thanks to their kiasuness ?

We will all be screwed.

seriously I am not shock.........

Having read many write ups by LWL.........hearing about her character from friends.............seeing her behavior personal at NUH..........it is no surprise to me at all..........

this can happen to any family............any party........of course it can happen to the Lee family and the PAP..............they are human also..............and as long as there is human............there will be issues...........

Having said these...............it also means this can happen to any opposition party.............there is basically no different..........

why would they want to give chance to opposition to develop???............it is up to the parties to develop themselves...............not asking an opponent to give chance...........

• Praise 1

Deep down LHL would know that LWL has a valid point. But the greater goal is the long term survival of PAP.  He rather sacrifice a breakdown in his relationship with his sister, which could be temporary anyway, than PAP.

The election results proved how powerful a weapon LKY's death is and can continue to be harnessed upon. They will continue overplaying the death anniversary , especially through media (must have already started working on yet another batch of interviews to be published in ST in 2017) , for a few more years until it gets permanently imprinted on people's mind , especially the youth, which will guarantee a smooth path for PAP for a long time to come.

Most us would do the same if we were in LHL's shoes.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1