SPH kenna from LWL

Jellandross

nope..............knowing TB4 that pundek..............he has better taste...............in fact alot better taste than that................ I would not turn up if I ever receive such invitation............because he must have gone crazy............ [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Haha, cannot praise you, but oh so true!! :D

↡ Advertisement

Execute Order @Staff69

She spins in :a-panic: high RPM, you better call more   :a-dothewave:  helpers, please try calling RadX, Porker and turboflat4  [grouphug]

• Praise 1

U heard this rumour too?

I heard ppl saying there is a tunnel linking Istana to there.

I'm not surprised

Turbocharged

Easy for her to take pot shots at her bro who is PM and has to maintain some dignity as a senior public official.

Even if the ex-SingTel ceo is on his sis side, I hope he talk some sense into her.

FB (or any other social media) is a very poor channel for such matters.

Prone to heat of the moment outburst (coupled with regrets later and a lot of angst with google cache). Also easy to misinterpret and assume the worst when you can't convey tone and facial expressions.

• Praise 5

Don't understand what's the problem?   

simple: she got problem w her bro, so shes using d lky worship thing as a platform to tekan d bro.

sounds more like a power n money struggle than anything else, like most rich family issues. my guess is fight over inhertiance

Edited by Duckduck

Turbocharged

Why can't she just do her own thing and not meddling with how the country wants to commemorate her father's passing.

She should know that no matter what the old man wishes, being the founding prime minister and all the work that he had done over the past 50 years, LKY can never have a private life be it alive or after his passing.

Imagine if we, as a country, just let the anniversary past as just any ordinary day, you think what the mass media of the world will say. It will be a PR disaster as a country.

Personally, I find the commemoration ceremony all over the island simple and solemn. Don't understand what's the problem?   

it's her father... so she has the right

She should be very grateful to her elder brother. Without him, who is she?

are you serious??

• Praise 3

If you said her father then there's some debate there....

But LHL????

• Praise 3

Supersonic

actually i never understood the oxley road saga. That piece of land is state land or pte land?  [confused]

She and LHY want to honour LKY's wishes to have the house demolished if she is no longer living there.  If not demolished, only opened to family members.  LKY was very clear about that.

But LHL set up a committee to decide what to do with the house.

She is probably dulan that LHL bo chi as a PM to just go ahead and demolish  but left open the possibility that hundreds of thousands of people may eventually be trooping through the house and gawking at LKY's and his wife's possessions.  

She wants to follow her father's wishes to the letter.  LHL wants to do with is right for Singapore and Singaporeans.  So, fight lah!

• Praise 2

As we move on this thread just be mindful of any comments that may be used against you so thread carefully

Not an easy situation for the pm and a bigger stake in the picture IMO

• Praise 4

Don't blame him la.. he's having fun on the internet and facebook, then let him have fun lor.

We just sit down and enjoy the popcorn.

some like me will question LHL's mentality too.  His reply has created a saga when he had d chance to put flames out n take d issue offline. Instead he stoked flames by having an internet flame war.  Well done

I am waiting for the day he rises from his grave due to mis-management of Singapore.

Of the whole saga, the most heartbreaking must be lky. I am 100% sure he do not want things to turn out this way. Even if he passes away still no peace.

Humans are not perfect, best is to resolve internally, no need go public. I believe that lhl also do not want to overdo things but it is his people belows and other mps and ministers keep over do it. What lky this lky that, yes he is a very respectable figure, but if over do than its not good. Now look..

Looks like blood is thicker than water does not apply to lhl family, quite sad to turn out this way..

Many things in life can be given or obtained, taken or inherited on the efforts and grace of other people.

A neuro scientist is not one of those things.

• Praise 1

She and LHY want to honour LKY's wishes to have the house demolished if she is no longer living there. If not demolished, only opened to family members. LKY was very clear about that.

But LHL set up a committee to decide what to do with the house.

She is probably dulan that LHL bo chi as a PM to just go ahead and demolish but left open the possibility that hundreds of thousands of people may eventually be trooping through the house and gawking at LKY's and his wife's possessions.

She wants to follow her father's wishes to the letter. LHL wants to do with is right for Singapore and Singaporeans. So, fight lah!

Precisely. .

It's lky's wish that she's asking to be followed wrt how his death should be treated.

Other than Mrs lee, who else can claim to know and be close to lky as well as lwl? I'm talking lky as a person, not as a colleague or public persona.

It's crystal clear she finds the Mao/Kim kind of cult treatment abhorrent. One has to presume that lky felt the same and told her exactly what he doesn't want.

Hence the insistence on demolishing the house once she is done living there. . He didn't mention anyone else did he?

It has nothing to do with what "Singaporeans" or anyone else wants.

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

The family spat has made the NZ papers...

For what it's worth (which isn't much) 

My personal opinion is in sympathy with LWL. 

Not wanting to comment on the quality of her writing, or the treatment from SPH (too much of a minefield and it would take to long to lay out a reasoned post)

But in my mind - "Ground up Effort" in relation to Singapore, to me, has always been a "dog whistle" for PA led efforts / arrangements of what should be done.  And I have seen first hand how the separation between what the PAP wants and what the PA does works at the grass roots level.

In my mind, and in my likely biased opinion, for LHL to throw up his hands and disclaim all responsibility for the lionisation and worship of LKY is a bit of an eye roller.

Last year, when the comemmorisations were ongoing - the way that LKY's leadership was communicated to my kindergarten daughter already made me very uncomfortable from an "indoctrination"  (read North Korea-esque) viewpoint.  At the time, sensitivity and also a realisation that my viewpoint and standards are different kept me quiet.  

And I'm still not going to comment on what should and should not be done -

My only thoughts would be

1. LKY was very specific on his wishes, which were much more in line with the "Churchill" way of remembering than the China one

2. What LWL is saying sounds very much in line with my understanding of what LKY said

3. The PAP has a very vested interest in having the populace remember and revere LKY, and the consequent linking between LKY, his success and the PAP is not going to do them any harm whatsoever.

(and as a footnote - I wonder how much of the last election result had to do with a wish to honour LKY?  I'm not sure how you'd test such a hypothesis, but it would sure make an interesting topic for a doctoral thesis)  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8